what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
    and tell everyone you still like the old stuff and show off pics of the vintage bikes
    Aint that the cats azz ?....'cept all my vintage stuff runs, almost daily !....
    I got 20 yr olds coming to me askin me to show em how to do blacksmithing (I have a forge and anvil....I make knives from RR spikes)....I love it....I love sharing what I know....many dont, and die with pearls of wisdom....not Wolfie....someone wants to learn, I'll teach.....

Heh...i had a buddy here this past summer (kid, late 20s ?), bought 2 new tires for his bike....I showed him how to do it with tire irons...cursed the heck outta me when I told him my buddy 2 houses down had a tire machine, lol.....but hay....he LEARNED something that Im willin to bet many dont even know....he may never need to do it again, but if he does.....and I made him sweat !....if he ever has kids that are into bikes, i hope he passes it on to them.

Comment

Been working on a one off seat for my 850 brat project.
      Made the pan,layered foam, self sewn cover.....
      Second attempt going better than the first (which looked like a warped piece of plywood covered in tar paper) lol
      Seats are easy to make but HARD to make look good!
      The first cover was out of an old leather coat....the one I'm doing now is out of a suitable vinyl material.
      Then I go through all that work and I don't love how it looks......may keep it, may go for round three.
      Last edited by Guest; 12-04-2015, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Finished my motor swap and electrical short issue. Now I need a decent seat.20151204_220321.jpg
        1981 GS 1100e turbo, 83 motor, turbo pistons, new head, new turbo, backed and welded clutch basket, Dyna S ignition, cbr 929 front end, gsxr 750 rear end with 190 tire, all carbon fiber covered bodywork.

Comment

Pic 2 if the bike.20151204_222626.jpg
          1981 GS 1100e turbo, 83 motor, turbo pistons, new head, new turbo, backed and welded clutch basket, Dyna S ignition, cbr 929 front end, gsxr 750 rear end with 190 tire, all carbon fiber covered bodywork.

Comment

Another try for a decent right side up full size pic.

Comment

Well done, Jonn.
              And just to give you another headache....now we need a video of your hot rod running through the gears.
              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I`ve not posted for a while, don't mean i`ve not been busy. Its the winter and time for maintenance, had a slight oil leak on 1000 it was from shift shaft oil seal. So I changed that, also my volts have been a little low so I swapped out the stator, it was original so not bad for close on 90k miles. Dropped the sump/oil pan to clean pickup screen, found drain plug was suspect so fitted another sump from my spares. Also on another subject Brakes, or lack of! on my 750. Getting from one bike with fireblade discs/rotors back onto standard Suzuki brakes was a wake up. So I fitted a set to the 750, should be good now
                My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

nightmare on suzuki street

So have you ever seen this?

http://

Meow - a hot rod GS - bought site unseen - not running - not mine -- but I am the one who is bringing it back to life.

Well , I like to open the clutch case and drop the oil pan to check for debris in the sump canister before getting in a hurry to hear it run .. and for good reason.
                  SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Strange one that, there shouldn't be a heavy load on the two pegs it only drives the oil pump. What,s the back of the clutch basket like ?, have the pegs been located right. Time to fit some high volume drive gears.
                    My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

this IS a 38T high volume oil pump gear. the clutch basket is very nice. any other ideas? Because I know the how and why, which is why I check a few basics before making an engine run.
                      SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

#2 cylinder only shows 145psi, the others all show 170-180psi.
                        Engine was tested right after running so it was still warm and wet.
                        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

the clutch basket is very nice
                          Have you tried drilling the basket ?...wet clutches love the molasass...the more you can perforate you clutch basket, the wetter your clutch plates will be.....also NB....wet clutches dont seem to like the synthetic oils too much....Ive always stuck with Castrol GTX ever since the 70s....never failed me....

Comment

Yesterday...

Bit of an unexpected result, but nice to have my hunch proved right.
                            The Raydyot 7" Fireballs (UK market driving lamp) with the older deep-dish metal body, have a factory H4 socket in the back of the bowl, this is fitted with an H3 converter. The lens is more of a distance thrower though, so I doubt it'd be a good performer on dip. No matter, as the deep dish means the Hellas can go straight in there with no mods required.
                            The later, slimmer Fireballs have the same diameter, so will happily take a Hella unit, but need the back hole-cut to allow the rear of the bulb and connector to poke out. I'll make a rear housing and epoxy that on.
                            ---- Dave
                            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Will epoxy handle the heat? Better use high temp stuff.
                              sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Yesterday:
                                Slapped some paint on the rear tail-light housing and the second coat on the sidepanels today. Nothing special, just brush-on black, to at least give it a fleeting appearance of tidiness for a while. I may do the fairing black, but I rather like it in its burgundy semi-metallic, so will devise a simple colour scheme to split the tank and tops of of the panels to match it in.

Tomorrow (today):
                                Well, ready to go out on the road with it, weather permitting for its first run out.
                                There are several things done, all at the same workshop time
                                1, New fork legs from a GS1000, with a mix and match of 1000 stanchions, 850 lowers, 1000 HD springs, and air suspension too.
                                2, The fairing - at the moment there's nothing in or on the fairing, so I'll get a feel of what that's like unladen. 3, I'll resist adding extra weight to the fairing - Cycle Sounds, etc, are more suited to long straight roads after I've got the feel of it. Apart from that, the XJ9 will be the bike I intend to use for longer distance trips, and on-board sounds / intercoms / satnavs, etc, can go on the Pantera II fairing that will be fitted on that, and it's more more amenable to having gadgets fitted. Whereas sounds and instruments were afterthought add-ons for the Vetter, the Pantera had the places for them already moulded in, just waiting to be filled.
                                Last edited by Grimly; 12-07-2015, 10:41 PM.
                                ---- Dave
                                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                                X