what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rough day in my world

Sad day in my stable. Took Red my '82 1100E out today, since I couldn't figure out what the knocking sound is coming from, she failed about three miles from the house. I think from the noise, it may have been the starter clutch all along. I replaced the clutch basket a couple of weeks ago with a tight one I got off eBay and it still had the noise, then checked the rotor bolt and it was tight, so I let it sit till today. Eric mentioned he had a starter clutch once was deforming the plate, but I didn't get the chance to check it out. The noise would disappear if the idle was above 1,500 rpm, so I figured it would be ok for a local easy ride. Not.

After getting saved by my wife and trailer, I took the Cavalcade to meet the folks for lunch. We went on a 150 mile ride on it yesterday going up to Daytona without a single issue, except my son picking up a metal splinter in the rear tireo the FZ6, giving it a slow leak. Afterwards looking for where my seat upholsterer opened a shop, I noticed the Cade was getting a little hot. Not quite in the red, so no worries, but a minute later I hear a pop and coolant starts squirting out from under the left side cover. It looks as if it split a hose. I wasn't far from the shop I work at, so I rode it there and waited for the wife to rescue me a second time in one day. God it's good to be married to a good woman.

On the bright side, I got some bolts from ACE before this happened to do a rear master cylinder swap on my FJ11. The Brembo master from an '05 R6 is a perfect match. Just have to get longer mounting bolts with locknuts, since it's not threaded like the FJ master, and swap the plunger ends. The R6 is too short, but the FJ part threads right on no problem. I may one day do a swingarm and rear wheel swap with the R6 wheels and parts I have left over. I would love to get modern rubber under it. I have found some FJ and custom mod threads where they have use the FZ6 swingarm with minor modification, but I doesn't have as much of a radical look. Really not much different looking than the Fj swingarm, so if keeping a stock look was the goal, it would be the way to go.

Taking a break to eat dinner then it's back out to do the front pads and change the fluid, and pull the carbs to clear the #2 pilot jet. I finally got a new chain on it Saturday night, before I found out the master took a dump. I'm really looking to ride it again, it's been sitting idle for the last year.
    Last edited by gsrick; 03-08-2016, 01:12 AM.
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Buttoned up the engine today finally after having the easiest time ever putting on the carbs (only took me 15 minutes of fighting ) then replaced the fork seals again using stock ones this time around. I'll refill them tomorrow and put the exhaust back on with the hope I can get her started without having messed anything up.
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I have an itty bitty oil seep/leak somewhere on the front around #2 exhaust. Found two drips on the concrete floor after last weekends ride. Gotta run it down to the car wash and power wash that area off and see if I can locate it. Thought it was the valve cover gasket in that spot, nope.
        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
          I have an itty bitty oil seep/leak somewhere on the front around #2 exhaust. Found two drips on the concrete floor after last weekends ride. Gotta run it down to the car wash and power wash that area off and see if I can locate it. Thought it was the valve cover gasket in that spot, nope.
          It still could be the valve cover gasket. If you look carefully there are 2 drain holes near the exhaust ports to drain any water (and oil) that collects around the spark plugs. Mine was leaking badly there.
          sigpic
          09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
          1983 GS1100e
          82\83 1100e Frankenbike
          1980 GS1260
          Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
            It still could be the valve cover gasket. If you look carefully there are 2 drain holes near the exhaust ports to drain any water (and oil) that collects around the spark plugs. Mine was leaking badly there.
            Nope not the valve cover gasket. It seems further down, almost where the front upper engine mount is on the left side.
            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

So you don't think it's the cylinder base gasket?
              The thing about the left side is, that's the downhill side when the bike sits for days on the kickstand. Any surface oil will ooze down to the left.
              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
              1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
              1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
              1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                So you don't think it's the cylinder base gasket?
                The thing about the left side is, that's the downhill side when the bike sits for days on the kickstand. Any surface oil will ooze down to the left.
                Yup, looks like the cylinder base gasket, it only seeps when the engine has been running for awhile. I think with the bike being 36 years and 63,000 miles on it, it was about due lol. As long as it isn't pouring oil out, gonna leave it alone and just wipe it off now and then. I mean after all, we were cooking around 90 to get around a bunch of semis on I-10.
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

There are two things inevitable in the life of a GS owner - base gasket leak on the left front, and taxes.
                  ---- Dave
                  79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                  79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                  92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Moved the new GS into the very crowded garage today, wanted to find out why the Speedo quit on the way home. This might be it....
                    New cable on the way. Hmmm, maybe I should get a tach cable too.

sigpic
                    1983 GS1100e
                    82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                    1980 GS1260

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                      Yup, looks like the cylinder base gasket, it only seeps when the engine has been running for awhile. I think with the bike being 36 years and 63,000 miles on it, it was about due lol. As long as it isn't pouring oil out, gonna leave it alone and just wipe it off now and then. I mean after all, we were cooking around 90 to get around a bunch of semis on I-10.
                      Cylinder base gasket went out on my GS650G when it was about two years old. I had paid the dealer for his own extended warranty, but I lived in a different state by then. Got an oily right boot on a 7K mile trip. Stored the bike when I moved to Mexico a few weeks later. A different shop replaced the gasket.
                      sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
                        Moved the new GS into the very crowded garage today, wanted to find out why the Speedo quit on the way home. This might be it....
                        New cable on the way. Hmmm, maybe I should get a tach cable too.

What? No warranty.
                        '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
                          Cylinder base gasket went out on my GS650G when it was about two years old. I had paid the dealer for his own extended warranty, but I lived in a different state by then. Got an oily right boot on a 7K mile trip. Stored the bike when I moved to Mexico a few weeks later. A different shop replaced the gasket.
                          Mine is no where near that, takes awhile for it to make a small mess underneath. Just builds up enough to drop a couple little droplets.
                          2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                            What? No warranty.
                            good point, but that Dave fella is pretty cheap
                            Rob
                            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                              good point, but that Dave fella is pretty cheap
                              Dave did a great job with phase 1 of the resurrection of a neglected turd. It is up to me to continue the legacy of polishing that turd. You northerners are all "Thrifty", except with beer....

One thing I noticed about this bike is how nicely it shifts. No clunk, no bang, just in the next gear. Totally unlike my clunky 850 and whiny Bandit. I think this is going to become my favorite.SH775 and connectors on order, next project.
                              sigpic
                              1983 GS1100e
                              82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                              1980 GS1260

Comment

Since I went back to stock exhaust on the 81 1100 I put the V&H back on the 83 1100....I liked the sound of the black exhaust but I really didn't like the look.
                                Plus I have much better clearance with the V&H...did an oil and filter change while I was at it...

The old exhaust...

<a href="http://s1063.photobucket.com/user/trevorf1/media/trevorf1155/seat6_zpsb96xi05b.jpg.html" target="_blank">

Last edited by trevor; 03-13-2016, 02:38 AM.
                                No signature

Comment

Working...
                                X