No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Put on the new battery on Red, and am now back on the road. With the ignition (partially) serviced, the bike now pulls better than ever.

Immediately went for an evening ride until night broke.
    #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
    #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
    #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
    #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      Vermont doesn't even make us do that when we license bikes from COLORADO!
      I went home and rifled through the DMV pages to see what they said about VIN checks. The Clerk can perform or request a VIN check on any questionable process... Guess buying a 35 year old bike is questionable. When he handed me the slip and saying registration couldn't be processed until VIN was verified (all with a smug look on his face) I pointed to the parking lot and said, sir the bike is here and able to have its VIN verified. He got deep red and looked like he was about to pop. ****ing Jack Wagon .

The snail mai in registration is easy but lengthy... I've done that a couple of times and they just send the plate. For them it's no human contact so they will gladly take your money and send you a plate, No Q's asked... I might do that route next time.
      Last edited by Jedz123; 05-19-2016, 05:33 AM.
      Jedz Moto
      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
      1988 Honda GL1500-6
      2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
      2020 Honda Monkey Z125
      2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
      Originally posted by Hayabuser
      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Nothing to do with motorcycles, but I bought a guitar amplifier (Kustom Defender) a couple days ago from a guy that smoked. Wife wouldn't let me bring it in the house because of the smell, so I took it all apart, cleaned it all out, repainted the inside of the cabinet and put it back together. No smell now. There was even nicotine stains on the circuit board! I hate cigerettes! No offense to smokers here.
        Current Bikes:
        2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Wow... Even in the circuit boards? that's wild and that guy must have smoked inside with no windows open constantly...
          Jedz Moto
          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
          1988 Honda GL1500-6
          2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
          2020 Honda Monkey Z125
          2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
          Originally posted by Hayabuser
          Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Yep, it was pretty rough being inside his little apartment for just a short while. He lives in Columbus which is an hour drive for me, so I had to drive home with the windows open because of the smell.
            Current Bikes:

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
              I hate cigerettes! No offense to smokers here.
              None taken. As an ex-smoker, I hate the stink too. Honestly, I can't believe I, and everything I owned, used to smell like that all the time.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                None taken. As an ex-smoker, I hate the stink too. Honestly, I can't believe I, and everything I owned, used to smell like that all the time.
                I completely understand!
                sigpic
                83 GS1100g
                2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Put in new rear brake pads, painted the brake arm, put new bolts on each side, the swing arm pivot bolt is actually oval shaped from repeated slamming.
                  Adjusted valves, carb sync, new oil/filter, did the once a year hi-temp paint on the pipe. Getting ready for first track day of the season on Monday. Will need new tires F/R after this event. Doing another one on the 5th. Hope the weather cooperates, might be a shower or two.
                  GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Does anybody know if it's possible to steam clean a circuit board without ruining it?
                    Current Bikes:

Comment

Does anybody know if it's possible to steam clean a circuit board without ruining it?
                      Depends on the board.
                      sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Nothing to do with motorcycles, but I bought a guitar amplifier (Kustom Defender) a couple days ago from a guy that smoked. Wife wouldn't let me bring it in the house because of the smell, so I took it all apart, cleaned it all out, repainted the inside of the cabinet and put it back together. No smell now. There was even nicotine stains on the circuit board! I hate cigerettes! No offense to smokers here.
                        Previous owner of a house went into nicotine withdrawal while sleeping, had to get up for a smoke several times during the night. The back of the toilet tanks was a dark amber. I had to replace all the carpet, wash everything with ammonia - twice.
                        sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Fresh out of the oven. I'm making a batch of inter bearing races for the 750/1100 swing arm conversion
                          (They should be in the mail Monday David, so don't slow down on your build!)👍
                          Attached Files
                          My Motorcycles:
                          22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                          22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                          82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                          81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                          79 1000e (all original)
                          82 850g (all original)
                          80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

I assume those are hot and not painted purple? Multi-talented aren't we!
                            sigpic
                            83 GS1100g
                            2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Chain and sprockets are changed out and now waiting for the new seals to arrive to change out the forks for the ones I received from Tkent02 this week.
                              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Well it's been 4.5 years and 50,000kms since I got the 450 done, so it was time for a big service this weekend. Did all the usual plus carb sync, swingarm bearing lube, caliper axle lube, fluid flush, etc. etc. Done some of those along the way of course but did it all again this time. Lubed the ignition rotor too as it was completely dry and not moving smoothly at all.

I've been fighting two oil weeps for a while now, one from under the sprocket cover that leaves a drop or two every time I park, and one around the base of the cylinder that started when I put the GS500 cams in. I've swapped the clutch pushrod seal to no avail and replaced the gear shifting shaft seal yesterday to see if that was it... alas I arrived back from the test ride and had a couple of drops of oil...

I re-torqued the head nuts as it looks like the other weep is the base gasket. Didn't get time to degrease the motor so will have to wait and see if that fixes it.

And the other little tidbit is I figured my Ikons didn't have damping adjustment only preload... but I had a look when I dropped the swingarm and I do have damping adjustment... turns out I'd just put the shocks on with them facing the frame rails... ooops!
                                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
                                X