No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replaced my clutch lever on the 450 last night. The metal bushing disintegrated a while back but I didn't think about what that really meant... probably about 1mm until I was in trouble...

1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
      Replaced my clutch lever on the 450 last night. The metal bushing disintegrated a while back but I didn't think about what that really meant... probably about 1mm until I was in trouble...

This is what happens when 450's run with Katanas
      sigpic
      83 GS1100g
      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
        Ok, my speedo needed maintenance so I had to pry off the glass and collar.
        While I had access I twisted off the stop pin, and painted on additional MPH markers.
        Tested it this morning, works just fine.
        Funny that a 1100 has a speedo that only goes to 140kmh. On my 550, it goes beyond 200kmh (Though I only pushed it up to 180kmh so far; but I also don't imagine it going much higher).
        #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
        #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
        #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
        #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
          This is what happens when 450's run with Katanas
          Hahahaha yep Charlie!
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Took apart, and cleaned a front brake caliper for the first time (In this thread.).
            #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
            #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
            #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
            #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Originally posted by roeme View Post
              Funny that a 1100 has a speedo that only goes to 140kmh. On my 550, it goes beyond 200kmh (Though I only pushed it up to 180kmh so far; but I also don't imagine it going much higher).
              Twice, Arab countries embargoed oil sales to the US. My recollection is that this was punishment for supporting Israel when its neighbors tried to destroy it.

One response was to create a national speed limit, capped at 55 mph, to reduce fuel consumption. Americans responded by driving above the speed limits regularly. Some politicians weren't satisfied with the explanation that speed limits were artificially slow. They hypothesized that people got satisfaction by seeing how fast they were going and bragging about it. So, for several years, speedometers were not permitted to show speeds above 85 mph. It didn't work, and the law was repealed.
              sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Isn't this just depressing?

It's June for crying out loud!20160615_190252.jpg
                Alan

sigpic
                Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
                Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
                Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
                Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Originally posted by AMK View Post
                  It's June for crying out loud![ATTACH=CONFIG]46095[/ATTACH]
                  Is that the arse end of a Big Wheel? A fun bike to bomb around on!
                  2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                    Is that the arse end of a Big Wheel? A fun bike to bomb around on!
                    Yes, 350x Honda. I have 3 of them in various stages of disarray. Great machines!
                    Or are you thinking of the Fat Cats?
                    Last edited by AMK; 06-15-2016, 10:08 PM.
                    Alan

sigpic
                    Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Originally posted by roeme View Post
                      For young folk and those outside the US; Back in the early 1980s Jimmy Carter was elected president (1980) a dutiful moralist christian man, so we got some goody 2 shoes legislation. All car and motorcycle speedometers were limited to read only up to 85MPH, or 140 KLM.
                      Just to kill the joy of riding or driving real fast for us wicked people.
                      Whatever, I forgot the whole story, it was a long time ago.
                      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                        For young folk and those outside the US; Back in the early 1980s Jimmy Carter was elected president (1980).
                        Not that it has any bearing on the point you were making but Carter was elected in 76 taking office in 77 and losing the office in 80 to Reagan.
                        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

It's June for crying out loud![ATTACH=CONFIG]46095[/ATTACH]
                          Yes, and feel your pain. Ive yet to complete "winter" repairs on mine.
                          sigpic
                          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                          -Rusty old scooter.
                          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Yes, 350x Honda. I have 3 of them in various stages of disarray. Great machines!
                            Or are you thinking of the Fat Cats?
                            Gee whiz, i was wrong on both accounts.
                            I thought it the rear wheel of a BW200/350, the Yammie equivalent to the Fat Cat.
                            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                              Gee whiz, i was wrong on both accounts.
                              I thought it the rear wheel of a BW200/350, the Yammie equivalent to the Fat Cat.
                              I'm not familiar with the Yammies but a buddy of mine ( back in the day) had a Fat Cat, they WERE blast.
                              I've wrenched on those 350x's for years but these machines with 4 carbs are a learning experience for me.
                              I'm finding many similarities except for the syncing carbs and stator and R/R issues.
                              Alan

sigpic
                              Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

The 350Xs were fine machines. My brother had a 85, my cousin an 86. Completely different animals.
                                The 86 had a ton of torque, but the 85 would run away from it every time in the top end.

My 250r was lighter and faster then both of them.....
                                sigpic
                                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                                -Rusty old scooter.
                                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Working...
                                X