what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
    The 350Xs were fine machines. My brother had a 85, my cousin an 86. Completely different animals.
    The 86 had a ton of torque, but the 85 would run away from it every time in the top end.

My 250r was lighter and faster then both of them.....
    The 250r was a fine machine also. Depending on the sprockets the 85 and 86 were about equal. I had a 13 tooth on the front for top end and my brother had a 12 tooth for climbing hills. He'd get a bike on me out of the hole but I'd toast him by fourth gear. He'd best me on the hills because I was chicken s**t when it came to that.
    Alan

sigpic
    Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
    Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
    Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
    Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

I LOVED my 250r. Mine had stock gearing, but came to me with really short tires. When i put the stock size back, the top end was impressive. We rode at a working sand pit, which was different every weekend. We spent hours climbing hills... The sand was forgiving in the event of a get off. The sand was also fun in that as long as I kept the rpms up, the tires spinning, and some momentum, I could make it up some ridiculously steep spots.

I could quite easily go down the rat hole of memory lane-ing on the subject.

For old times sake....
      Last edited by dorkburger; 06-16-2016, 11:20 PM.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

IMG_1934.jpg
        Installed the single seat and the new rear shocks. About ready to chop her up!

Comment

Originally posted by 82'GS650 View Post
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]46115[/ATTACH]
          Installed the single seat and the new rear shocks. About ready to chop her up!
          Hope you're gonna weld steel tubing in place of those silly rear shocks too, that's what cool IMO!!!
          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I don't those springs would look too hateful.
            Attached Files
            Alan

sigpic
            Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
            Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
            Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
            Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

GS got naked!

FINALLY got around to fixing the broken off fairing mounting lug. The weld isn't pretty, but I was just happy not burn a hole in the frame. .

Cleaned up a bit and hit it with some old paint laying around the garage..

Back together. Its going naked until the forks are fixed, then maybe until it gets cold.

Having a good look with the fairing and gas tank off, I can say that my bike has become pretty grungy, even by my standards....
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

The oil rag around the fork tube says it all.
                If you got a family to maintain, what time is left for your old bike…
                "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

..... very little.
                  sigpic

Glen
                  -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                    ..... very little.
                    Not burning a hole is the problem. That looks like it will work fine.
                    sigpic
                    83 GS1100g
                    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

I was actually pleasantly surprised. I went real easy the first couple of goes, then increased the temperature and wire speed a bit and I think I got some good heat / weld into it without even a trace of that awful sound when the arc burns thru. I tried to favor the mounting lug a bit due to its mass.

I cant even recall the last time I had to weld something important.
                      sigpic

Glen
                      -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

I know that sound all to well!
                        sigpic
                        83 GS1100g
                        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Stripped and cleaned, ready for painting, a pair of Minilite-alike alloy wheels for the trailer. Should set it off nicely, and go along with the Hillbilly Engineering fenders.
                          ---- Dave
                          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Mounted 2 new front tires on bikes, and wired the rear lights on an old Goldwing (just good enough to get it on the road).

Comment

Finally put the SH775 on my first bike.

More pictures and text in this thread: clicky.
                              #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                              #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                              #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                              #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Forgot the day before yesterday; put intake boots and carbs back on the second bike, in this thread/post.
                                #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                                #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                                #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                                #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Working...
                                X