what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tonight

Tonight, I put the Windjammer and gas tank back on my 80 GS 850. I am having a lighting problem and have decided to take it to my mechanic tomorrow in the daylight. I also emptied the tank on my 1969 Harley ML 125 and found that I left the gas on....damn. Now I need to go through the carb and check the crankcase, but that will have to wait until another day. Too hot and tired today!

Comment

I tried starting my bike today after doing the intake O-rings, carbs, checking valves, replacing half moons and gaskets. It doesn't want to run, it sounded kind of mis-fire-ey, and I got one big loud BANG out the exhaust. After my Jackie Gleason style heart attack I can only conclude that when I was checking my clearances and turned the engine some before I remembered to put the cam chain elevensioner back in that I managed to get the chain to skip a tooth or two. Doh. That smarts. Why do we say 'that smarts' after we do something dumb?? Anyway, now I get to learn all about Mr. Cam Chain .
      "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

plug wires crossed?

Comment

skipped teeth on the cams/crank would be bad

Comment

No, the plug wires are not crossed. Yes that is bad, I can only hope that since I didn't hear any noise from the top end that I'm lucky...

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

then the explosions are from the crank and cams being out of time...
              there's extra room in those engines so there's a good chance you didn't bend any valves.
              is that peaches i smell?

Comment

Nothing earth shattering happened in the garage today but I did spend a few hours cleaning up the old GS. It's been a couple of years since I've had it this far apart for a good cleaning and seeing as it got ridden about 150 miles in the rain last time I had it out it was due. I also got to play with the camera and PhotoShop a bit too. Always wanted to try one of those see through the paint type pictures.

'84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Wow that's a neat picture series! Pretty durned nice bike too.

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

LOL, well of my own I worked on strip and dipp of my 850 VM carbs.

A list of every one else's stuff I have to work on
                    Flush water passages, thermostats and water pump on a '89 Evinrude V4
                    Spindles replacement on a Bobcat Zero turn
                    Motor replacement on a Hustler Zero turn
                    Stator on a Custom Harley
                    Rebuild carbs on a 78 Mercruiser 6 cyl 2 stoke
                    and Briggs and Stratton 23 hp riding mower
                    clean out Ford 350 I sold last week
                    Axle seal and A/C recharge on Dodge 3500

Busy Busy Busy

Comment

Solder joints can get funky after 30 years too, it seems.

At least I got SOMETHING working right around here!

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Cool spoke wheel GS1000!
                        XS650 parts everywhere today. The parts they are a flyin'

Comment

Just did the starter gear #4 on my brothers 80 XS 650 so he could sell it a few months ago.. lost of fun. Guy that bought it is gonna do a bobber project on it..at least hes cutting up a Yamaha and not a GS!!!
                          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

A couple days ago actually.....I changed my valve cover gasket on the 750L. It had been leaking a little for the past month or so and now I know why....it was broken in two places. No more leaky now though !!!
                            Larry D
                            1980 GS450S
                            1981 GS450S
                            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Here's today's list: Valve shims DONE!, r/r carbs, put the ones chef rebuilt on, new airbox boots (again), modify G seat to fit for more comfort and a backrest, adjustments to the fairing, rebuild front calipers from parts bike to replace my mushy ones. Hopefully I'll be done by midnite. Oh, my bike started running real bad before I started this business, found about a 1/4 cup of water in my gas tank, that's cleaned out too. I don't know which station I got the water from, but I've got it narrowed down.

Comment

Changed flashers, mirrors, a bit a bufffing and tried a new stripe theme.
                                Installed new old original flat seat.
                                Attached Files
                                McLoud
                                '79 GS850
                                `98 GSF1200 Bandit
                                sigpic
                                http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...php?groupid=13

Comment

Working...
                                X