No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spent the whole weekend installing a new garage door and opener. 13 hours to do the door on Saturday and 6 hours to do the opener on Sunday. Man, this cushy office job has not prepared me for all that manual labor! Very sore today.
    Current Bikes:
    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

It took me about the same time to replace our garage door a few years ago. Opener was reused. The old one was a heavy, rotted at the bottom, wooden beast.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Not quite today, but on my '79 GS850...

...a few weeks ago I installed new seals and Sonic Springs "1.00s".
        ...last week, replaced brake hoses (HEL) and front pads.

What a difference! I suspect the springs were original. The ride changed from a 1957 Cadillac to a something that feels more like a motorcycle. The brake hoses were original -- their date code was 1978. The odd sponginess in both brakes is gone.

The carbs are next.

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
          It took me about the same time to replace our garage door a few years ago. Opener was reused. The old one was a heavy, rotted at the bottom, wooden beast.
          Our old door was non-insulated steel, so a bit heavy, but not quite as heavy as the new insulated one. Now I need to figure out what to do with the old door. I guess I'll cut it in half, throw it in the pickup and haul to the dump. Might try to sell the old Genie opener. Still works, but we wanted a quieter belt drive. Such a difference!
          Current Bikes:
          2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

For sure! our old screw drive opener is quite noisy, but the garage door doesn't get a ton of use.
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Cut up an old plastic chevy bed liner to use the floor part as an extension to my work space. Cleaned some connectors on the 450l, and made room for the soon to arrive organ donor 450t. Need to figure out if I am draining the tank before removing it, or chancing it while full. Chasing a wiring harness, replacing starter solenoid/relay, and swapping out stock stripped case bolts with hex heads is in my future tomorrow. Also will be transporting the organ donor to her new home. Thinking I may strip her down, remove the engine and replace it with a 500 and make her a streetfighter or something else mean and lean looking.

Comment

Finally got around to replacing the carb boot o rings. Started last night and got cyls. 1 and 2 boots off. 3 and 4 are soaking with PB Blaster. Went last night before Lowes closed and bought a dremel to cut slots in screw heads. Had a beer while reading thread after thread on screw removal so I know there's many ways. Impact driver buggered the heads of two screws. I'll get back at it after church. The smell of the PB Blaster took a LONG time to wash and wear off of me!

Check these out. Think they were due to be replaced?

Roger

Current rides
                1983 GS 850G
                2003 FJR 1300A
                Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Replaced a bad coil in my GS1100G with a salvaged GS550 coil I had on the shelf for years.
                  Did the trick!!!! Bike runs great again!
                  "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                  1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                  1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                  1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I've been sorting out my gs 1100 and it's new top end and turbo. I solved 3 of the 7 oil leaks I've found (yes 7!). I am blown away by how much power this bike has down low. I haven't turned up the boost at all yet, so it's just motor, and low compression turbos at that. I can't imagine what a high comp big bore must feel like. This thing is smooth as silk too. The GS is a very nice bike, but I guess we all knew that.
                    1981 GS 1100e turbo, 83 motor, turbo pistons, new head, new turbo, backed and welded clutch basket, Dyna S ignition, cbr 929 front end, gsxr 750 rear end with 190 tire, all carbon fiber covered bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                      Finally got around to replacing the carb boot o rings. Started last night and got cyls. 1 and 2 boots off. 3 and 4 are soaking with PB Blaster. Went last night before Lowes closed and bought a dremel to cut slots in screw heads. Had a beer while reading thread after thread on screw removal so I know there's many ways. Impact driver buggered the heads of two screws. I'll get back at it after church. The smell of the PB Blaster took a LONG time to wash and wear off of me!

Check these out. Think they were due to be replaced?

Nah, those look fine. I'm sure the boots are soft and flexible too and you won't need a 2X4 and a big hammer to get the carbs back in either....
                      sigpic
                      09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                      1983 GS1100e
                      82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                      1980 GS1260
                      Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Did an oil change on my bike then cleaned the chain. Thanks to JTGS, I also removed the pin for the throttle mechanism from the #2 carb on Charmayne's bike with the hope I can repair it this week.
                        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Put yet another fork seal in my 850. THIS time I coated the outer edge with RTV and Bingo! No leak. Also put new struts & tires on the daughter's VW convertible. Nothing left but alignment.

Comment

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
                            Nah, those look fine. I'm sure the boots are soft and flexible too and you won't need a 2X4 and a big hammer to get the carbs back in either....
                            I used the boots from my 81 which were soft and much newer. A little heat from a heat gun and the carbs slid right into the boots. While I had easy access, connected single point ground too.
                            Roger

Current rides
                            1983 GS 850G
                            2003 FJR 1300A
                            Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Put yet another fork seal in my 850. THIS time I coated the outer edge with RTV and Bingo! No leak. Also put new struts & tires on the daughter's VW convertible. Nothing left but alignment.
                              Been wondering about the new beetles.(???) Thinking about another small car. The resale prices on them look very reasonable.
                              I dunno anything about the motors and just hear bad/ inconsistent tales of the Jetta.

Didn't wrench barely today. Been trying to get unburied from stuff I've completed on my GSX1100G.
                              Not much progress.
                              My place is so small I move stuff one spot, move other stuff, same stuff all over , no room to seperate stuff for different projects...

Got a plastic toolbox for free for truck. Planning on/trying filling it with non-valuable, non-trashables like paint, jack, junk.
                              Can't decide what.
                              More weight in truck, have to park couple blocks away, when need at home it's in truck and other way around...
                              Once anything goes in trash, need it back too. Non-stop.

Figured out how to hook wife's phone to our TV, soon exactly like "Jetson's" today.
                              "MHL cable" from phone plugs into HDMI Port 1 on TV.
                              Then push "HDMI 1" from remote control option.
                              (DUH the easy stuff when there's no alcohol in picture, Thankyou to God ).

TV crap started because I have two computer speakers that have built in amps looks like. Been laying around forever (clean-up attempt)

Planning on bolting them to my homemade TV stand (I'll post a pic sometime, it's modular built from angle iron, can add-on whatever really) (someday going to add another small TV w/ security cams/window views, a lamp and these speakers)...

Anyhow, computer/TV stuff not really "wrenching" but started to figure out bolt-on for TV speakers, painted one matte-black.
                              Have to get rid of junk while kids are away, their schools starting too.
                              Feeling disgusted about energy level. beat-up from work ,Needed rest...Once it's cold everything gets even harder.

Comment

new Beetle has same platform as Jetta, Audi TT and probably several others.
                                sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Working...
                                X