No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good idea, I have not had a problem with the pipe or cam cover gunging up it was the slotbin the airbox however I may well fit your idea.
    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
    past bikes. RF900
    TL1000s
    Hayabusa
    gsx 750f x2
    197cc Francis Barnett
    various British nails

Comment

Socks....

For the 10 people here with no kids, you will find out if you have any that you will end up with countless sock rags. They generally suck as rags - not very absorbent. I use the ankle socks to keep unused safety glasses in, and maybe for wiping up heavy grease, etc. I was looking for a proper rag last night and dumped around 40 socks out. I stuffed the small ones into a full size sock and stuck it under the leaking dishwasher door until I get a seal for it. I then patted myself on the back for "ingenious" use of sock rags....
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I only end up with half of the number that goes in the washing machine it seems to have the ability to eat socks and they are never seen again anyone else have the problem?😀
        The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
        1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
        past bikes. RF900
        TL1000s
        Hayabusa
        gsx 750f x2
        197cc Francis Barnett
        various British nails

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
          ................... countless sock rags. They generally suck as rags - not very absorbent..../...
          I collect old socks (white crew socks) for use in the garage/shop.
          I find them great for cleaning rags, can wrap around exhaust pipe for the chrome cleaning even buffing the back side that cant get hand into, great for the plastic cleaner, great for the wax application and buffing.

As for your leaking disshwasher, take one of those socks and wipe scrub along the door seal, both the door and the cabinet. Maybe some build up there preventing a good seal. I have found it leaks dribbles once and maybe next and then next it slobbers all over a big puddle. So have learnt to wipe the seal down at first sign of a dribble.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I forgot about the cleaning / polishing aspect. I dont do it often, but as you mention, I will take an inside out sock and use it for that purpose.
            Thanks for the dishwasher tip, but its unfortunately not that.
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Made a decent attempt at fixing the fenders today finally. I think it turned out fairly well as the bulge is gone and what's left would be more indicative of rocks hitting the sides. I still need to fix the rear of the fender as it seems to be too flared out but it's not going to affect operations

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Cowboy,

That looks like a pretty good job. I need one of those "soft headed" hammers. Is it a Plumb brand?
                sigpic
                83 GS1100g
                2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

To be honest I am not sure, it's just one I picked up at Sears last week when I got Charmayne's Christmas gifts; if you want I'll try to get over to the garage tomorrow and look at the sticker on it
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

If you think of it. I'll look a Sears next time I go to town. I didn't know they still made them. Thx
                    sigpic
                    83 GS1100g

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Better hurry. The next time you go, Sears may not be there....Shame, really. I always liked Craftsman. Not much else about it though....
                      More bad news for Sears. The iconic retailer may sell storied brands Kenmore and Craftsman as sales continue to plunge at Sears and Kmart and losses pile up.
                      sigpic
                      09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                      1983 GS1100e
                      82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                      1980 GS1260
                      Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
                        Better hurry. The next time you go, Sears may not be there....Shame, really. I always liked Craftsman. Not much else about it though....
                        http://money.cnn.com/2016/05/26/inve...ore-craftsman/

I figured something was up as ACE Hardware has been carrying Craftsman tools for a couple of years........
                        sigpic
                        83 GS1100g

Comment

Built a bike.

2016-12-05_05-44-59 by Rob Ert, on Flickr

Don't ask me what World Deece references, I think it has something to do with skateboarding, I think.
                          Rob
                          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                            Built a bike.

Don't ask me what World Deece references, I think it has something to do with skateboarding, I think.
                            "World Deece showcases the culture/lifestyle of the talented humans of the Pacific Northwest.
                            Film, photo, bmx, snow, skate, music, art n' everything deece"

I got that quote from their facebook page. What are you going to do with the Deecer? You could drop it off up here to save some storage, that way you'd always have a bike to ride when you visit!
                            IBA# 12860
                            Iron Butt SS1000 & BB1500
                            1984 KZ1100R
                            2008 Kawasaki KLR650
                            2011 Concours 1400

Comment

2016-11-04 18.37.14-2.jpg
                              The Brown Bomb. 81 GS850G. Got the fairing off. After cleaning carbs, new carb pipes/orings, rebuilding airbox with new filter/rubber boots, new plugs, new fuel petcock, new battery...
                              So today was start-up day. Ignition. Primed. Choked. Turned over...but no start. Grrrrrrr. Double checked carb and airbox connections. Also checked the carb fuel adjusting screw set at 3 turns out from seated. Confirmed spark at the plug. Confirmed gas at the float bowls...
                              No go. It turns over, but it's as if it's not getting gas.
                              Back to it next Friday!!

Comment

You didn't inadvertently bump the kill switch did you?
                                Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                                '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                                '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                                '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                                '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Working...
                                X