what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thebrandonbeezy View Post
    Looks more like a bobber type deal to me. But regardless cafè bikes have a high ass and low front. Unless youre at the local hardly dealership and looking at their idea of a "cafe" which is just a baby sportster with bubble style windscreen. Jedz123 im not knocking your bike at all, in fact i like it i like the style but its not a cafe.
    Thanks again for the input... Good call, I guess a cafe is not what this thing is ending up.. I'll be playing with it before spring. It will be some form of an abomination to my liking and riding style. At least it won't be an L anymore.

Thanks
    Last edited by Jedz123; 02-05-2017, 08:12 AM.
    Jedz Moto
    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
    Originally posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
      We finally got around to repainting the bedroom our daughter occupied while she was here. Several years ago I helped her paint it pink, then she took markers or paint sticks of some sort and wrote Bible verses, quotes from movies, and favorite sayings on all walls and the ceiling. Her room looked like a high school yearbook signed by the whole class! I'm on primer coat number five trying to hide this stuff. Ive never had anything bleed through so many coats like this. I even scrubbed the marker off with those grime boss wipes before the first coat. Ugh, may wind up with paneling or just skim coat and re texture the room
      Current fad in interior house painting is multi-colored walls, often using bold colors. I suspect that marketing departments at paint companies are counting on your problem burgeoning across the entire country over the next 5 to 15 years as (1) People tire of loud designs (2) Houses are bought by people whose tasted differ from the current owners. Billions of gallons of primer will be sold to try to cover the designs.

My suggestion, which I haven't tried: White primer has poor color covering power. Go to a much darker shade. After the marks are covered, switch to white again. It won't be as brilliant as if bright white primer was used, but it will hide the mess.
      Another suggestion: Use exterior paint in 5 gallon buckets, as it costs much less. Then top coat with the good stuff.
      sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
        Current fad in interior house painting is multi-colored walls, often using bold colors. I suspect that marketing departments at paint companies are counting on your problem burgeoning across the entire country over the next 5 to 15 years as (1) People tire of loud designs (2) Houses are bought by people whose tasted differ from the current owners. Billions of gallons of primer will be sold to try to cover the designs.

My suggestion, which I haven't tried: White primer has poor color covering power. Go to a much darker shade. After the marks are covered, switch to white again. It won't be as brilliant as if bright white primer was used, but it will hide the mess.
        Another suggestion: Use exterior paint in 5 gallon buckets, as it costs much less. Then top coat with the good stuff.

Thanks Tom.

I wound up going over the marks with some other paint we had here. It covered better than the primer. Now after two coats on the ceiling and one on the walls, I've got one final coat to do on the walls, then I'll hit the trim and be done. I'll finish up mañana (doesn't necessarily mean tomorrow, just not today!)
        Roger

Current rides
        1983 GS 850G
        2003 FJR 1300A
        Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Forks are back together; the new tubes from Franks Forks look so nice that it might be a crime to leave them unprotected. It was suggested I get some guards so I may consider it.

I'm hoping I'll be on the road in the next few weeks but not sure as work is really kicking me. After being up all day yesterday, I worked for almost 14 hours last night replacing equipment at the hospital. Sure has been a fun day today
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I started with this...
            20170204_114314.jpg

Ended with this...

Comment

20170205_115942.jpg

Time to start looking for parts...

Comment

Put up the insulation mentioned yesterday.

Also started the bike to cure the header paint. It's a bit quieter with the muffler packed. It has a less harsh sound now. A member asked me about how loud it was so I took a quick video and got a bit geeky measuring the sound level with the app on my work phone.
                Video and meter were taken at 10' away. At idle, it measured 79 - 82 decibels. The blips were up to about 3000 rpm and measured at 90 db.

http://
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

So, how loud is 90 db????

Here's a sound comparison I can understand from experience.
                  So imagine a drummer in your driveway:
                  PS: My neighbor once banged on my window, because I was testing how loud I could flam on me drums_late at night.
                  (A flam is beating 2 drums at the same time real hard.)
                  Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 02-05-2017, 09:42 PM.
                  "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                  1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                  1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                  1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

According to the sound meter app on my phone 70 db is traffic and vacuums, 90 is power tools. Kinda generalized and goofy.
                    In the real world, I think the sound level is fully acceptable.
                    sigpic
                    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                    -Rusty old scooter.
                    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Forks went on today and promptly came back off as I could not get the bolt into the right side of the lower tree.

I'll tear the rest of the front end apart this week and figure out how bad the damage is.
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                        Forks went on today and promptly came back off as I could not get the bolt into the right side of the lower tree.

I'll tear the rest of the front end apart this week and figure out how bad the damage is.
                        The hexagonal end does not go in first.

Looking at the parts diagram, the threads must be right in the aluminum of the lower clamp. Uh oh.
                        Dogma
                        --
                        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                        '80 GS850 GLT
                        '80 GS1000 GT
                        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Reassembled carb #2 with new rubber from cycleorings.com and put #3 in the carb bucket. Should have all 4 done by the end of the weekend.
                          Does anybody have a spare float bowl gasket? Three are in great shape and I was super annoyed to rip ONE!

Also scrubbed up the mounting plate with an old toothbrush and some dish soap:

Here's the reassembled carb next to one ready for the dip:
                          1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
                          1977 GS550
                          1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Those are VM26SS carbs off your 750? If so, I have a used bowl gasket you can have. IMG_4132.jpg
                            K.

1978 GS750E
                            1981 KZ440D

Comment

Originally posted by gwyon View Post
                              Those are VM26SS carbs off your 750? If so, I have a used bowl gasket you can have. [ATTACH=CONFIG]49771[/ATTACH]
                              Love it when it works likes this.........
                              sigpic
                              83 GS1100g
                              2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

So I'm finally getting a picture of this build, what ever you want to call it. I don't think it looks like a bobber or brat but god I cant take those blasted clip-ons to make it a true "cafe". Geometry is good, doesnt seem to favor the front or rear... the front springs though... I don't like them but choked up there seems to be less travel. Maybe run the twin disc front end I have in stock??? (stiffer front end) I just wanted to reduce as much weight as possible.
                                Two cents is welcome. The 110/70/16 rear tire really drops that back end allot, but I think I'll like the gearing better... I have a 130/70 16 in the shopping cart and may buy if the gearing is too short, or I'll just swap in the 17" rear with the Avon I have from the G I have.

Lighting sucks in my Mud room...

Come one Spring!!!! 6' right now in VT
                                Jedz Moto
                                1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                                1988 Honda GL1500-6
                                2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                                2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                                2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                                Originally posted by Hayabuser
                                Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Working...
                                X