No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guy's name is John. He seems a good guy. Did a tune up on my bro in laws Yamaha raptor. Had been sitting for a couple of years. Runs like a top now. Quality work at a fair wage. He did my rear tire couple of seasons back.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-07-2017, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
      After bathing the dogs there was still enough daylight to give the GS a much needed bath. A clean bike is a happy bike.

Yeah, that's a damn clean bike!
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Another post I was reading early this morning asked about engine detailing/casing finishing. I answered the OP, and later today was inspired to try my first aluminum polishing. ALL the side covers on my "T" are in need of a detailing. They're all showing signs of corrosion, some mild, some not so mild. I didn't want to experiment on the T's covers/casing, but I've also been getting ready to assemble my 76' DT400 which has been in parts since the fall. So I decided to make my first attempt on the rear wheel brake hub of the DT. I knew from looking at YouTube vids it was simply wet sanding through a few different grades of paper, i.e 500, to 800 to 1000 to polish. I had borrowed my friend Armand's buffing wheel he mounted to a bar stool ( yea, scary ...a little). I also had a harbour freight headlight repair kit in the shed that could attach to a drill. It included 500, 800, and an unnumbered 'final" polishing disk. I used my drill with the headlight kit and some water to remove the corrosion, then polished it on the wheel......Holy Mackell.....I was shocked.....and surprised... I'm a polishing wizard!! ( Well, maybe just lucky) But here's the before and after
        Before:

after

The whole job didn't take an hour. Being able to take the corrosion off with the drill mounted polisher saved tons of time vs hand sanding. Now that I know I can do this, the T is in my sights for polishing right away...
        PB
        Central Jersey
        82' Suzuki GS750T

"Old school is the best school"

Comment

That looks great PB!
          Roger

Current rides
          1983 GS 850G
          2003 FJR 1300A
          Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Pb9717 View Post
            Another post I was reading early this morning asked about engine detailing/casing finishing. I answered the OP, and later today was inspired to try my first aluminum polishing. ALL the side covers on my "T" are in need of a detailing. They're all showing signs of corrosion, some mild, some not so mild. I didn't want to experiment on the T's covers/casing, but I've also been getting ready to assemble my 76' DT400 which has been in parts since the fall. So I decided to make my first attempt on the rear wheel brake hub of the DT. I knew from looking at YouTube vids it was simply wet sanding through a few different grades of paper, i.e 500, to 800 to 1000 to polish. I had borrowed my friend Armand's buffing wheel he mounted to a bar stool ( yea, scary ...a little). I also had a harbour freight headlight repair kit in the shed that could attach to a drill. It included 500, 800, and an unnumbered 'final" polishing disk. I used my drill with the headlight kit and some water to remove the corrosion, then polished it on the wheel......Holy Mackell.....I was shocked.....and surprised... I'm a polishing wizard!! ( Well, maybe just lucky) But here's the before and after
            Before:

after

The whole job didn't take an hour. Being able to take the corrosion off with the drill mounted polisher saved tons of time vs hand sanding. Now that I know I can do this, the T is in my sights for polishing right away...
            That's damn good! Please show us your polishing rig?
            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

A teaser....

I........ LOVE IT! Can't wait to see it complete.
              http://
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                A teaser....

I........ LOVE IT! Can't wait to see it complete.
                http://
                Your hard work sure is paying off. The bike looks fantastic!!
                Roger

Current rides
                1983 GS 850G
                2003 FJR 1300A
                Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Thanks! The shop charged me $5 plus tax to balance the wheel. He did razz me a bit in good nature for doing the tire my self. Only problem is that the silver frame, which im not crazy about to begin with, stands out more but thats for another time - maybe never.
                  sigpic
                  When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                  -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Yeah lookin real good Glenn!
                    Silver frame, what's wrong with that? I painted my Katana GSX frame silver, just to fake aluminum.

Comment

Its my week off. Many projects. Just finished this winters make over. Its a 03 with about 16k on it. Seems like I can never leave 'am alone. Now if it would just warm up!
                      Rental bars, Triumph levers, bar end mirrors.
                      Muzzy/Hyperpro stabilizer, fork brace, Race Tech valves/springs
                      Tokiko 4 pot calipers, HH pads, steel lines, Arashi f/r disc's.
                      Pods and dynoed by Hypersports in Osseo Mn. 130/90 Hp/tq
                      Muzzy head and midpipe, Ladybird can.
                      Ohlins rears.
                      Attached Files
                      Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                      Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                      Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Sweet ZRX!

Bill, thanks. Ive never been a fan of the silver frame on my bike. Should the time ever come for a full teardown, this is the look I would go for - I love the body color with the black below.

NVR2OLD's bike is done similarly and absolutely beautiful.
                        Last edited by dorkburger; 03-09-2017, 04:46 PM.
                        sigpic

Glen
                        -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Funny, I was thinking your bike would look good with a black frame, if it was red. The Suzuki blue and white colors turn me off. The Yoshimura racing colors are red, black and silver, much better.

Comment

Ha, black and red are one of the cooler hot rod color combos.
                            sigpic

Glen
                            -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

black and red are one of the cooler hot rod color combos.
                              Yeah they are!!!

Comment

Ha, black and red are one of the cooler hot rod color combos.
                                RED!!! Ive also never been followed by so many police when I was driving a red CBR919 in red and I was in red/black leathers.
                                Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                                Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                                Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Working...
                                X