No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

and we have a ubo.. unidentified broken object haha, looks like the shift forks are fine and all the gears are fine. Gonna bring bigger tools tomorrow and pop the clutch basket off. Will i need a puller?
    I build Pipers

Comment

Originally posted by thebrandonbeezy View Post
      It does look fantastic man, have you checked your rake and trail since lifting the rear?
      I left the rear stock. No lift. Original shocks as they seem to be working fine. Tree bearings appear solid, smooth. um...whats rake and trail??
      PB
      Central Jersey
      82' Suzuki GS750T

"Old school is the best school"

Comment

Originally posted by Pb9717 View Post
        I left the rear stock. No lift. Original shocks as they seem to be working fine. Tree bearings appear solid, smooth. um...whats rake and trail??
        Look who i quoted haha
        I build Pipers

Comment

But since you asked,
          It has to do with the handling like how fast it will turn in and how stable it will be at speed, its a balancing act to be honest
          I build Pipers

Comment

Originally posted by thebrandonbeezy View Post
            But since you asked,
            It has to do with the handling like how fast it will turn in and how stable it will be at speed, its a balancing act to be honest
            Wow...um..no. i had no idea about that at all. Thx for the diagram. Explains it clearly. I'm just unsure if I have the ability to effect that factor, and what the benefit of doing that would be. I generally aim to keep the stock config, as I'm not savvy with altering them, and the positive or negative changing them would have. But consider my mind fully BLOWN!!! Love learnin new stuff!
            PB
            Central Jersey
            82' Suzuki GS750T

Comment

Truedisk.net , ...guy named Tom in Michigan. $45 for the work, $26 for shipping there n' back....and thanks on the forks...lookin forward to the day when there's NOT anything to polish...
              Disk came back. Lookin NIIIIICE. I forgot to remove the black paint from the perimeter before sending it, and when I got it back it just made the disk look incomplete as far as the resurface...

so I took some emery cloth and stripped the perimeter....NOW its ready for some brake kleen, and install with the new pads and steel brake line on Weds hopefully.

the finished version....

hard to believe its the original 35 year old disk.
              PB
              Central Jersey
              82' Suzuki GS750T

Comment

Beautiful...simply beautiful...Pete.

Ed
                GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Yeah, I'll say.. quality work right there!
                  I build Pipers

Comment

Well, I accept defeat, or at least a new route forward. I was able to tweak the questionable motor mounting tab into place. Same result of sprocket misalignment. I checked the rest of the mounts as well. I find it odd that there are 4 solid mounting points for the engine while the front 2 have a rubber bushings. While the front 2 were off I was able to get a good look at the weld on mounting lug that was broken off and repaired under the PO's ownership. I was happy to see it looks like a solid repair and is properly aligned. I'm at least satisfied that I checked all that I could. As I said in another thread, nothing is changed, yet everything is changed. It's been this way for years and I will ride it as is until a frame come up.

I will be on the lookout for an 1150 frame or roller / parts bike. A NJ member mentioned a while back that he may know of one. I PM'd him today.

While cleaning up I got the joke. ....20 something years later. I stamped a G on my better tools years ago when we all worked on things and hung out in Dads garage. Someone strategically added letters. It gave me a good chuckle.
                    http://
                    sigpic
                    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                    -Rusty old scooter.
                    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

So at this point, you haven't used your newly-refinished brake discs (which are gorgeous!), so I'm wondering; when you do, what will you look for to determine how well they perform? Stopping the bike is the obvious first thing, but what else?

Comment

Originally posted by MI GS850G guy View Post
                        So at this point, you haven't used your newly-refinished brake discs (which are gorgeous!), so I'm wondering; when you do, what will you look for to determine how well they perform? Stopping the bike is the obvious first thing, but what else?
                        the bike stopped well before I bled the brakes during the front end rebuild. AFter re-assembly it was spongy and poor. Likely to some air on the original rubber brake lines. Goal is to have as grabby , tight and modern stopping power the single disk, single piston caliper can provide. I'll let you know once all parts are in. I hear the steel brake line makes a big difference too.
                        PB
                        Central Jersey
                        82' Suzuki GS750T

Comment

Yes, on the improvement with braided lines. I would also think the newly refinished disc would work best with new pads also.
                          sigpic
                          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                          -Rusty old scooter.
                          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

new o-ring chain and sprockets.... amazingly enough, the drive sprocket nut came off with little effort from the impact wrench. Old chain was stretched 2 1/2 links, sprockets really were not in bad shape, replaced them anyway, as you should. HUGE difference in sound and response. Next on my list is that noisy clutch basket.... gaskets and new pushrod on order... gonna give the covers a brushed aluminum look while they are off as well. Watch the noise be vibrating springs... hopefully it is just a very slightly loose nut and really easy to fix.

Comment

the bike stopped well before I bled the brakes during the front end rebuild. AFter re-assembly it was spongy and poor. Likely to some air on the original rubber brake lines. Goal is to have as grabby , tight and modern stopping power the single disk, single piston caliper can provide. I'll let you know once all parts are in. I hear the steel brake line makes a big difference too.
                              Yes, a clean/rebuilt MC & Calipers along with a braided line makes a world of a difference!

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                              Yes, on the improvement with braided lines. I would also think the newly refinished disc would work best with new pads also.
                              Most definitely agree!

Ed
                              GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                              Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                                Yes, a clean/rebuilt MC & Calipers along with a braided line makes a world of a difference!

Most definitely agree!

Ed
                                I am NOT rebuilding the master cylinder or the calipers. I'm trying to avoid doing more than is needed. This job can become a real money pit, which I'm trying to avoid. ( plus I dont know how to rebuild a caliper, or a master cylinder, and the light switch actuator in the front brake handle is an easy piece to lose should I need to disassemble.) I'm assuming the new pads, refinished rotor and steel lines is gonna be enough...Oh, and the fork brace is ordered.
                                PB
                                Central Jersey
                                82' Suzuki GS750T

Comment

Working...
                                X