X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love first gen katanas so much
    I build Pipers

Comment

I haven't wrenched on anything today, yay! Yesterday on the other hand, my dad needed a new refrigerator installed in his mobile home. The house has a 32 inch wide front door so after removing the door, storm door, and hydraulic closer thing, the fridge squeezed through. Unfortunately he didn't bother laying a tape measure a crossed the old fridge before buying a new one. I had to raid his shed for some tools to cut the counter tops back. I thought this would be an easy thing since this is a man who once made furniture, toys and all manner of hobby crafting stuff. My how the years change us!! Anyway, the fridge is in and mom is much happier too!

Originally posted by MI GS850G guy View Post
      I bought this one because it's the twin to one I bought new in '81, and I'm rediscovering why I had such fond memories of it - 36 friggin' years later!
      That's a very familiar theme. Mine was not new but purchased used in 1991 from a Honda dealer. Made payments of $75 every other week until paid off. The stator crapped out a week after purchase (imagine that!) but the dealer took care of it and got me back on the road. Good thing too, no GSResources back then, hahaha. The one I'm riding now isn't the same year and has a few additions for longer trips, but still reminds me of the good old days.
      Roger

Current rides
      1983 GS 850G
      2003 FJR 1300A
      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
        I haven't wrenched on anything today, yay! Yesterday on the other hand, my dad needed a new refrigerator installed in his mobile home. The house has a 32 inch wide front door so after removing the door, storm door, and hydraulic closer thing, the fridge squeezed through. Unfortunately he didn't bother laying a tape measure a crossed the old fridge before buying a new one. I had to raid his shed for some tools to cut the counter tops back. I thought this would be an easy thing since this is a man who once made furniture, toys and all manner of hobby crafting stuff. My how the years change us!! Anyway, the fridge is in and mom is much happier too!

That's a very familiar theme. Mine was not new but purchased used in 1991 from a Honda dealer. Made payments of $75 every other week until paid off. The stator crapped out a week after purchase (imagine that!) but the dealer took care of it and got me back on the road. Good thing too, no GSResources back then, hahaha. The one I'm riding now isn't the same year and has a few additions for longer trips, but still reminds me of the good old days.
        Today I pulled the battery box and the electrical panel that supports all the electronics because they were getting pretty rusty and crusty. I wet sanded both of them then repainted them with gloss black rattle-can. They're not concours-worthy, but way better than they were! I'm buying all new hardware from Parts Outlaw (that $1.50 flat rate shipping really helps!). My goal is to have underneath the seat and behind the engine as nice as the rest of the bike. It's getting there!

Comment

Starting to resemble a bike. Brake hydraulics rebuilt and plumbed, front and rear suspension on semi-permanently, chain guard mocked up and nearly done. Still needs wiring harness put back in, brakes bled, and exhaust. Hope to go for a ride around the block next weekend. Wednesday drag bike series starts May 3.

sigpic
          09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
          1983 GS1100e
          82\83 1100e Frankenbike
          1980 GS1260
          Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Good Gog Bob.....thing looks freakin' amazing!! I would LOVE to come down and watch you do the drag strip on it. Awesome.
            Rob
            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
              Good Gog Bob.....thing looks freakin' amazing!! I would LOVE to come down and watch you do the drag strip on it. Awesome.
              Drag racing is only moderately exciting unless you are a participant. Come down, bring a bike, spend the night, go racing too. No pressure on the Wednesday races, no money involved and first timers are welcome, everyone will help and make sure you improve as the day goes on. You need a leather jacket and over the ankle boots, and a Snell 2005 or newer helmet. And $40 US, or $300 CDN. $10 to watch.

This project has kind of changed directions since I started, I was going to make it a drag only bike. But as I collected parts and started test fitting them it looked like this might be a pretty decent sit-up sport bike that I can drag race as well. Time will tell how successful it is at either. I am not in to it for a ton of money, and the experience will pay off on a future build.
              sigpic
              09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
              1983 GS1100e
              82\83 1100e Frankenbike
              1980 GS1260
              Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                Any bloody knuckles or new swear words invented?
                No new words invented, but used standard ones a couple times. No bloody knuckles, but a couple bruises to showcase.

I pulled the carbs back off to check float heights since I did not do that the first time (duh). The bike is apparently running too rich because I can start it without choke and, after a few seconds of feathering the throttle, it will run without choke. Plus, I'm only getting about 32 mpg where it should be getting 40+. I've thought about buying new pilot jets, but the old ones are clean and are the correct size. I already have the pilot screws adjusted to 1.75 turns out, which should be a fairly lean setting. The screw is located on the engine side of the carbs so they meter fuel flow rather than air, so adjusting out adds more fuel. Maybe I'll adjust them in a bit.
                Current Bikes:
                2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Originally posted by thebrandonbeezy View Post
                  I love first gen katanas so much
                  Me too
                  1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                  1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Tell me something guys, what do you tell a guy that claims to have worked as a Suzuki mechanic for 20 years (1980-2000) and says the GS series bikes never had a charging issue?? The problem was all bad batteries.
                    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Goodbye? ?
                      sigpic
                      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                      -Rusty old scooter.
                      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Definitely!

Comment

I would tell him he is full of sh*t. Plus I would tell him to never touch my bike.
                          Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                          '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                          '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                          '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                          '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                            Tell me something guys, what do you tell a guy that claims to have worked as a Suzuki mechanic for 20 years (1980-2000) and says the GS series bikes never had a charging issue?? The problem was all bad batteries.
                            I'm surprised you didn't put him in his place!

Just kidding. Sounds like a "not-so-knowledgeable" mechanic. Backing away slowly works too.

Ed
                            GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                            Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                            Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                              I'd tell him Suzuki still has charging problems, especially with the GSX-R 600/750.
                              GSRick
                              No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                              Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
                                I'd tell him Suzuki still has charging problems, especially with the GSX-R 600/750.
                                And the Boulevards.
                                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                                X