what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
    Tell me something guys, what do you tell a guy that claims to have worked as a Suzuki mechanic for 20 years (1980-2000) and says the GS series bikes never had a charging issue?? The problem was all bad batteries.
    Tell him to read The Stator Papers.

Comment

Not so much 'wrenching' for me today...

I'm in the middle of a top-end refresh. I took the opportunity to bring the head to a local 'artist' (machinist/mechanic/fabricator) and really enjoyed the opportunity to meet the guy. He's an older guy with crazy white hair, who doesn't answer the phone, has hundreds of engine cases and other parts littering every surface of the shop, and has something on the same scale as Doc's Delorian under a blue tarp in the yard. It's an hour away - I've been there 3 times so far to check on the project (it's the only way), and I honestly don't mind at all.

I did order the rest of the needed parts to finish the refresh, so that's some GS related progress.

And just so The Twin didn't feel left out, I just swapped one of the levers on my way in...
      Lever2.jpg

Comment

Pipe drama, the powdercoater sprayed it SILVER, even though the written instructions were for black.....then more delays on getting it reworked on time. Getting a BIT frustrated at this point.....
        1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
          I'd tell him Suzuki still has charging problems, especially with the GSX-R 600/750.

He won't respond now lol.
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

You know speaking of charging, i read that the standard stator in a 1000 is only 19 amps. Is there a better option?
            Last edited by thebrandonbeezy; 04-18-2017, 05:44 PM.
            I build Pipers

Comment

heh, don't argue with a toddler....
              1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
                No new words invented, but used standard ones a couple times. No bloody knuckles, but a couple bruises to showcase.

I pulled the carbs back off to check float heights since I did not do that the first time (duh). The bike is apparently running too rich because I can start it without choke and, after a few seconds of feathering the throttle, it will run without choke. Plus, I'm only getting about 32 mpg where it should be getting 40+. I've thought about buying new pilot jets, but the old ones are clean and are the correct size. I already have the pilot screws adjusted to 1.75 turns out, which should be a fairly lean setting. The screw is located on the engine side of the carbs so they meter fuel flow rather than air, so adjusting out adds more fuel. Maybe I'll adjust them in a bit.
                Float heights are set and carbs are back in. Now my mercury tube synchronizer is acting odd and I don't trust it anymore. I'll have to buy something different.
                Current Bikes:
                2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

vette z06 tires.. not fun
                  I build Pipers

Comment

Pulled the rope pull and fixed the broken rope on my tiller. Pulled the carb and cleaned it as well.

V
                    Gustov
                    80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                    81 GS 1000 G
                    79 GS 850 G
                    81 GS 850 L
                    83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                    80 GS 550 L
                    86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                    2002 Honda 919
                    2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
                      Float heights are set and carbs are back in. Now my mercury tube synchronizer is acting odd and I don't trust it anymore. I'll have to buy something different.
                      There are guys in your area that have the synch tool, if spending the cash or time isn't convenient for you...

Comment

Originally posted by thebrandonbeezy View Post
                        You know speaking of charging, i read that the standard stator in a 1000 is only 19 amps. Is there a better option?
                        The better option is to clean up the electrical system and upgrade to the Series R/R. Most of the stock system's electricity just gets looped through the frame and stator - so that 19 amps is mostly waste or heat.

I did all that, and with a standard replacement stator my bike was at 13.9 or more volts, from idle on up...

Comment

Installed the quick shifter and adjusted the kill time to 80 milliseconds on the SV. First race weekend of the year in 9 days.
                          1979 GS850G
                          2004 SV650N track bike
                          2005 TT-R125 pit bike
                          LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Here is a picture of my Pingel Electronic shifter set up. 2nd bike I've had it on. Need it due to a problem with my left foot which prevents me from properly shifting with the traditional shift lever.
                            20170422_203122.jpg
                            Cristoph
                            Current Bike: 1986 Suzuki GS1150E
                            Previous Bikes: 1977 Honda CB750K / 1983 Honda CM450a

Comment

Finally got my seat cover completed. Initial fitment was a little loose, as you can see in the first pic. But I then tightened it up a little and added some more padding in spots. I've got a gel pad in the seat too, VERY comfy!! Overall, I'm happy with how it came out. Its not professional, but nothing on my bike is, its part of its charm.

Comment

Much better, Mario.
                                Suits what you have done to the bike.
                                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Working...
                                X