what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
    Wow! I would be damn uncomfortable seeing my oil look like silver glitter even with a new bike.
    Uh yeah me too. I would have changed the oil at the 500 mile mark.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
      A future GSer.
      I seem to get dirty as soon as i walk into the garage, how did you keep your helper so clean? haha.
      I don't.

Grandma (Mrs. Steve) had just brought him out on the cart that he is sitting on. He saw tools (toys) and headed straight for them. Those pictures are within the first minute. To be sure, a few minutes later he went for a swim in the shop sink and his clothes were doing their own swimming in the washing machine.

As soon as I am able to extract a clip from a video, I will post it here. It shows him "in action".

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Wow! I would be damn uncomfortable seeing my oil look like silver glitter even with a new bike.
        It was just as bad in the TU250X as well...
        Jedz Moto
        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
        1988 Honda GL1500-6
        2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
        2020 Honda Monkey Z125
        2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
        Originally posted by Hayabuser
        Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
          It was just as bad in the TU250X as well...
          I've had new bikes and I don't remember the first oil change looking like metalflake paint. heh Maybe I just don't remember it. heh
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I've had new bikes and I don't remember the first oil change looking like metalflake paint. heh Maybe I just don't remember it. heh
            It looked like beat but weird colored oil, then you shine the led light to it and you could see the silver hue and particulates, especially as it was running out of the bike. Not the usual BLACK/Dark brown.
            I've done a few new engine oil changes, it was weird that Harley Davidson recommends 1000 mile oil change, the Tux was 500 miles. Whatever, did it to the manufactures specs. Runs stronger now. I'm also going lighter on the oil grade since we are apparently back in March, snowing right now... And I rode in.

It will hold over till they run a full synthetic in the 1000 mile service. Then it's 5K mile oil changes. I'm letting them do the first 1000 mile check, includes an assortment of things (including valve clearance checks)... Then I will take over all the maintenance.

This motor will be a breeze for valve clearance checks and adjustments, 15K mile intervals and lock nut screw adjustment.
            Last edited by Jedz123; 05-08-2017, 02:35 PM.
            Jedz Moto
            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
            1988 Honda GL1500-6
            2020 Honda Monkey Z125
            Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
              It looked like beat but weird colored oil, then you shine the led light to it and you could see the silver hue and particulates, especially as it was running out of the bike. Not the usual BLACK/Dark brown.
              I've done a few new engine oil changes, it was weird that Harley Davidson recommends 1000 mile oil change, the Tux was 500 miles. Whatever, did it to the manufactures specs. Runs stronger now. I'm also going lighter on the oil grade since we are apparently back in March, snowing right now... And I rode in.

It will hold over till they run a full synthetic in the 1000 mile service. Then it's 5K mile oil changes. I'm letting them do the first 1000 mile check, includes an assortment of things (including valve clearance checks)... Then I will take over all the maintenance.

This motor will be a breeze for valve clearance checks and adjustments, 15K mile intervals and lock nut screw adjustment.
              Same with my Bandit, screw adjusters, so the difficult part of doing a valve adjustment is removing and installing the valve cover. LOL 20k mile interval. The one thing I particularly love about my Bandit is there is NOTHING on two wheels that beats it for ease of maintenance. When I bought it, it was a decent bike that had a lot of appeal to me. That has changed over the 13 years I have had it and it has moved into my category of dream bike.
              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

It usually does. That's why they want you to go back to the dealer for the first change. Most of the wear occurs in the first hour as the parts get acquainted. Most of it is cylinder bore as the rings seat. When I was racing we would change the oil on a fresh build after 20 minutes of warmup, and cut the filter apart to look for chunks. It was always shiny metalflake.
                sigpic
                09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                1983 GS1100e
                82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                1980 GS1260
                Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Same with my Bandit, screw adjusters, so the difficult part of doing a valve adjustment is removing and installing the valve cover. LOL 20k mile interval. The one thing I particularly love about my Bandit is there is NOTHING on two wheels that beats it for ease of maintenance. When I bought it, it was a decent bike that had a lot of appeal to me. That has changed over the 13 years I have had it and it has moved into my category of dream bike.
                  With new 2016 Bandits at 7k or less it is very tempting...
                  sigpic
                  09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                  1983 GS1100e
                  82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                  1980 GS1260
                  Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Umm I did my B-12's every 10-15K miles or so (annually over the winter) and they were always out of whack, same with my 16V GS750. The B-12 service interval is 7500 miles FYI. However My bike was pushing the 90K miles with the 10-15K mile intervals I did. Phenomenal bike!
                    My Tu250X is also 7500 mile intervals same lock nut adjustment. They were a bit tight when I did the 1000 mile maintenance on the TUX.
                    The Connie is shim over bucket. Had the valves adjusted when I bought it with 14K miles on it... Had the Valves checked at 30K miles and it was just that, no adjustment required. Next is due in 5K miles at 45K miles... Likely will have one more check and then never do it again... very common on this bike to only need one adjustment it's whole life.
                    We will see how the Harley-Davidson goes, but with lock nut adjustment, I bet it will need an "adjustment" every 15K miles per the manufacturer's recommended maintenance cycle.
                    Last edited by Jedz123; 05-08-2017, 04:03 PM.
                    Jedz Moto
                    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                    1988 Honda GL1500-6
                    2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
                      With new 2016 Bandits at 7k or less it is very tempting...
                      New Bandit 1250's are Shim over bucket FYI
                      Last edited by Jedz123; 05-08-2017, 04:01 PM.
                      Jedz Moto
                      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                      1988 Honda GL1500-6
                      2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Not today but I changed out a gear position sensor on my friend's Hayabusa Turbo on Tuesday morning... his lock-up clutch had to come out, among other things...

Turbine playing peek-a-boo in the dump pipe.

The reason for the job was lack of boost... his turbo controller (w/electronic waste-gate) references the signal from the gear position sensor to let it know what gear the bike is in. Lower gears get less boost for safety... the higher the gear, the more boost is allowed. Without the sensor reference, the bike was stuck in the 1st gear map so he was limited to about 300hp in every gear. First world problems.
                        2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
                        2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

Charmayne and I installed new intake boots and orings on her bike yesterday and I put the carbs back on this morning. Although 550 carbs are probably the least fun, I got them into place after only about 45 minutes of fighting. However, the fun came after I re-synchronized them when I realized the idle wasn't coming down no matter what I did with the idle adjustment screw. I figured I might have tightened the two nuts on the cable at the carbs too tight and started to adjust the cable at the handlebars when the bike died and wouldn't restart. After much frustration, I finally had the bright idea to loosen the throttle cable at the carbs and got the bike to run again.

I sure wish I could go back in time and try to understand why Suzuki had to design the carb area the way they did because it's just incomprehensible to me.
                          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Started to take a preliminary look at the parts bike I bought today. It's rough, but has some parts I can use.

Staredown.....
                            sigpic
                            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                            -Rusty old scooter.
                            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

That's it!? One picture? We want more!

Comment

Gee whiz, Dave. Only 300hp?
                                What will it be after the sensors get sorted?
                                Will you get to ride it?
                                Do you want to ride?
                                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Working...
                                X