No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In light of recent posts concerning. Pipes and lives, I thought I would save a few then go quiet. So yesterday I installed a different exhaust system. Here's the new pipe. Its to quiet. The member from Vermont worded it perfectly, thank you. On the other hand, its another look, period correct, looks sharp and now I can take it to work at 5 in the morning.
    Attached Files
    Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
    Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
    Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Originally posted by limeex2 View Post
      It will remove light corrosion and stop it from returning. Works like really nice on anything black. Frames, cables, wire harness Inner fenders too. Wipe it with clean rag when done, it will attract more dust than Amour All. Guys on the ZRX forum are using it on chains with very good results. Lets see if I can post a pick. Bear with me. Nope, won't let me. Sorry.
      I used to pick up cans of Boeshield for a couple bucks when the Boeing Surplus store was open. Kind of a waxy encapsulating sort of stuff. Worked great on the boat to prevent salt water damage.
      sigpic
      09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
      1983 GS1100e
      82\83 1100e Frankenbike
      1980 GS1260
      Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

That Yoshi looks great.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

In light of recent posts concerning. Pipes and lives, I thought I would save a few then go quiet. So yesterday I installed a different exhaust system. Here's the new pipe. Its to quiet. The member from Vermont worded it perfectly, thank you. On the other hand, its another look, period correct, looks sharp and now I can take it to work at 5 in the morning.
          I have a pipe that looks just like that, but is soo loud.
          Think PO did some chopping, the can is only 10" long.
          Did you have to make custom engine brackets to fit that engine or is it 16V frame with 8V bodywork?
          GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Yes its is a 16v frame and 8v body work. My original race bike was just the opposite. The loud pipe I removed was pointed right at my helmet. Poor engineering on my part. Ill re-invent it when when it gets used again.
            Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
            Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
            Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

I look at it another way. It can't be too quiet. In most of my confrontations, the cager either looks right at me and pulls out or is not paying any attention, so loud will do nothing to improve the situation. For the ones that look at me and pull out or cut me off, I conclude it is intentional. Lots of aggression and road ragers out there. If they don't hear me, the aren't prepared to cut me off at the last moment and I'm gone before they can take a shot at me. Loud pipes pyiss cagers off and I don't want to be the object of their retribution.
              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                Quite a busy weekend working on the bike. Saturday morning de-greased the engine then pulled the fairing and bracket, seat, tank, airbox, carbs, cam cover and got to work.

My to do list was;
                Front brake light switch
                Replace cam end plugs and cam cover gasket
                Inspect/ adjust valve shims as needed
                Clean and oil air filter
                Replace cracked breather hose
                Pull float bowls off carbs and re-install stock 115 main jets (110's were too lean and in spite of adjusting mixture screws plugs still a little white-ish)
                Replace float bowl gaskets
                Re-seal airbox ends
                Change engine oil and filter

And in a perfect world do all of this before it gets to be 100°F in the garage. Well, did what I could yesterday, then after church today. Way too many hours, man I'm a slow mechanic! Forgot to get new spark plugs so have to sync carbs and finish up mañana!
                It is by far more important to be precise and meticulous than it is to be fast. Frequently, being fast results in getting more things done wrong in less time. LOL Or, as the old saying goes, there is never time to do it right the first time, but there is always time to do it a 2nd or 3rd time. heh
                All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                  It is by far more important to be precise and meticulous than it is to be fast. Frequently, being fast results in getting more things done wrong in less time. LOL Or, as the old saying goes, there is never time to do it right the first time, but there is always time to do it a 2nd or 3rd time. heh
                  Yes, I agree. We've used a similar saying since I can remember working on handrails and stair systems decades ago. Another saying my foreman used was "get good then get fast".

Just a little anxious to ride is all. Long work weeks don't let me ride much Mon-Fri. I am so glad to have all that done though. While crawling around the bike (no lift yet) I noticed the exhaust bolts starting to rust at the clamps holding the pipes to the head. In an attempt to avoid future grief, today I picked up 8 metric socket head cap screws (M8 X 35mm 1.25pitch) and lock washers to replace those crappy stock bolts. Been hitting it with PB Blaster for a day now, so hopefully they'll come out without a fuss. All in all there's very little corrosion on this bike. We're blessed that way in the desert Southwest.

Edit; stainless steel socket head cap screws that is.
                  Last edited by Burque73; 07-27-2017, 03:58 PM.
                  Roger

Current rides
                  1983 GS 850G
                  2003 FJR 1300A
                  Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

In order to replace the exhaust bolts in the head I had to remove the fairing bracket one more time. Not difficult but upon re installation lining it up right takes some time.

Good news is all eight bolts came right out even using just a 1/4 inch drive ratchet. PB Blaster must have done it's thing, or they just weren't too stuck YET.

Attached Files
                    Roger

Current rides
                    1983 GS 850G
                    2003 FJR 1300A
                    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Roger, your engine looks so good!
                      Wow, having weird summer, but finances are good, putting money in the bank.
                      Wired up my car for trailer lights. Last few times I just spliced into the tail light wires, this time I decided to find a proper wiring kit.
                      How to video:
                      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                        Wired up my car for trailer lights. Last few times I just spliced into the tail light wires, this time I decided to find a proper wiring kit.
                        How to video:
                        https://images.etrailer.com/static/i...us-118549.webm
                        Thanks Bill. She cleans up nicely for sure. Too bad the black engine paint is coming off. At some point I'll freshen up the top end and repaint it. Starting to use a little oil and compression isn't the greatest, around 112 to 117psi when I checked last. Service manual says 128psi min but she runs great, pulls decently, and only uses about a pint of oil per 1000 miles which is weird since I never see any smoke or drips on the ground.

I have been without working trailer lights for an embarrassing long time and I use my trailer a few times a week. You've inspired me to finally get my trailer lights working.... soon!
                        Roger

Current rides
                        1983 GS 850G
                        2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                          ...Starting to use a little oil and compression isn't the greatest, around 112 to 117psi when I checked last. Service manual says 128psi min but she runs great, pulls decently, and only uses about a pint of oil per 1000 miles which is weird since I never see any smoke or drips on the ground. ...
                          Uniform wear between rings and cylinder walls, so that the oil burns off very slowly. Sort of like a two-stroke.
                          sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

One of the first things on my list after vacation was to fix this fairing mount bracket. Pieced it together and blew some sketchy looking weld on it. This seems to be a weak spot on these. My spare fairing came with a repair here. The parts bike I recently bought is intact, but shows signs of stress. While wrapping up, I found a broken mounting post on my mid panel, and a newly misaligned gap. Im not sure if it was already broken or broke while muscling around the fairing bracket to line things up, but im peeved. A lot. Mid panels removed..... for long term..... I just cant be bothered at this point.
                            http://20170730_224710 by Glen Brenner, on Flickr

http://20170730_231732 by Glen Brenner, on Flickr
                            sigpic
                            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                            -Rusty old scooter.
                            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

More, scraping, cleaning, Painting and a couple Satellite dish removals... It's getting there!!! Only one side left!

Before:

After:
                              Jedz Moto
                              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                              1988 Honda GL1500-6
                              2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                              2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                              2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                              Originally posted by Hayabuser
                              Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                                How to video:
                                https://images.etrailer.com/static/i...us-118549.webm
                                I had to do that on my Passat as well. Turns out the new cars use one bulb for tail, turn, and brake all controlled with a square wave from the controller that changes duty cycle. Just splicing in might result in letting the smoke out of a very expensive ECU. The Passat is rated to tow 1000 pounds, and handles a utility trailer with a GS just fine.
                                sigpic
                                09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                                1983 GS1100e
                                82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                                1980 GS1260
                                Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Working...
                                X