what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
    Not sure it's the same on a 850, but it just a plate shaped more like a crecent moon with three countersunk phillip head screws securing case halfs behind the clutch hub. My loose screw was nearly or maybe grazing the oil pump drive gear (the one the clutch hub engages).
    There's 2 other plates back there above the shift rod with similar phillip head screws.

The APE nut is just a stronger steel nut for the clutch hub, the stock one tends to stretch causing the threads to widen and often one finds the nut loose even when the lock washer is bent over.
    So I take it the APE nut is not an OEM item then, right? And where do I get one? I did find my clutch hub nut slightly loose once (despite the lock washer being bent over, as you suggested).

Comment

Originally posted by MI GS850G guy View Post
      So I take it the APE nut is not an OEM item then, right? And where do I get one? I did find my clutch hub nut slightly loose once (despite the lock washer being bent over, as you suggested).

No not stock. There near Willow Springs in California, seen them on EBay too.
      APE heavy duty clutch nut, might call to confirm 850 fitament.
      Think they're around $25.
      GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Replaced my battery yesterday so I don't have to keep bump starting the 450. Went back to a good ol' lead acid this time as the extra $$$ for the Motobatt just isn't warranted. It lasted no longer than the original cheap lead acid I had. Interestingly enough when I mentioned to the battery guy I was replacing a Motobatt he said "yeah they're sh!t"... exact words.

They have one cut open for display and you can see everything including the fact the bus bars are extremely thin. He also said they tended to die unexpectedly which is sorta what happened to me. I had a little warning with slow cranking on the really cold mornings but this week it just stopped completely despite showing full charge on a multimeter.
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

As some of you know, I had Alex Callas (aka Sandman900ss) refinish my engine covers. The man does absolutely phenomenal work (fast, too!). I intentionally opted for the more subdued look of a near-factory finish - as opposed to the highly polished look - and I couldn't be happier with the results. I used a "kit" of polished SS fasteners that I bought on Ebay (with anti-seize compound on the threads), as well as all new OEM gaskets. I actually installed the covers a few days ago, but I did just take the pictures today. Here's a link to the album I created on Flickr.

As for the carbs, they were rebuilt by Steve Woodin (aka GSWhisperer) who also does fantastic work.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/129480799@N07/albums/72157685188868772/with/36834514190/

As
          Last edited by Guest; 09-14-2017, 08:08 PM. Reason: to clarify a few points

Comment

As some of you know, I had Alex Callas (aka Sandman900ss) refinish my engine covers. The man does absolutely phenomenal work (fast, too!). I intentionally opted for the more subdued look of a near-factory finish - as opposed to the highly polished look - and I couldn't be happier with the results. I used a "kit" of polished SS fasteners that I bought on Ebay (with anti-seize compound on the threads), as well as all new OEM gaskets. I actually installed the covers a few days ago, but I did just take the pictures today. Here's a link to the album I created on Flickr.

As for the carbs, they were rebuilt by Steve Woodin (aka GSWhisperer) who also does fantastic work.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/129480799@N07/albums/72157685188868772/with/36834514190/

As
            Wow, looks realy good Scott! I like that satin look. A real fine 850g you have.👍
            My Motorcycles:
            22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
            22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
            82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
            81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
            79 1000e (all original)
            82 850g (all original)
            80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
              Replaced my battery yesterday so I don't have to keep bump starting the 450. Went back to a good ol' lead acid this time as the extra $$$ for the Motobatt just isn't warranted. It lasted no longer than the original cheap lead acid I had. Interestingly enough when I mentioned to the battery guy I was replacing a Motobatt he said "yeah they're sh!t"... exact words.

They have one cut open for display and you can see everything including the fact the bus bars are extremely thin. He also said they tended to die unexpectedly which is sorta what happened to me. I had a little warning with slow cranking on the really cold mornings but this week it just stopped completely despite showing full charge on a multimeter.
              (trick) Question: How can a multi-meter show state of charge for a battery?

I'm using an Autozone AGM battery. The battery in my Wee Strom failed the day after I bought it. (Probably the original, 5 years old, almost never run until I got it). So I walked down the road and stopped at the first car parts store...Working OK right now. Perhaps I should have it's cranking amps checked annually and replace when it begins to drop...
              sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Took the 1150ES out last week and it was running odd, like missing on one cylinder or running lean, although it appeared to firng on all cylinders.
                Had a look yesterday, all the plugs looked fair, light golden color if not a hair lean. I was going to pull the carbs when I noticed the culprit.
                #2 intake boot was torn nearly half way around. It has pods, so a bit of weight is being supported by the boots only.
                I had a ziptie around a frame rail holding up the rack, but it still cracked.
                Grabbed an old hardened spare, rubbed some brake fluid on it a rolled it around like an orange.
                Running fine now.
                Gave a half a turn out on A/F screws.
                The hardened one was an old #492 L, I think has been superceded by 0AA, where all the boots are the same, no left and right.
                GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by Nschultz View Post
                  On my 83 1100E, I fixed a turn signal issue, drained the gas out of the tank and drained the oil. waiting on oil and air filters before i put fresh oil in it. will also be rebuilding the petcock and replacing the vacuum line from the tank to the carbs.
                  Buy a new petcock, rebuilds have a very high failure rate.
                  sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                  1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Yesterday, I was working on reinstalliing the secondary driven gear assembly (dont be fooled into thinking I am some gearhead that knows all about this... I just learned what to call it, and was the first time I have ever seen one, just a couple weeks ago)
                    ... anyway ....

Was working on reinstalling the secondary driven gear set, hgave the engine all unbolted from the frame and all the bolts/rods out so can manover the engine around some to get get clearance for this (apparently GK has more stuff on the frame right there in the way), and I was jacking up the engine (like had to for the removal of the gear set) ....
                    So I am on the floor next to the bike, cranking on the jack under the engine, crank-crank- looking at the engine bolt holes lifting up from the mount holes, crank-crank- thinking I need to lift up just a bit more, crank-crank, but seems like not getting it to go up much, crank-crank, need a bit more, crank-crank, seems like I had the engine up a little higher when I removed the gear set, crank-crank, humm, engine not seeming to raise up like it did before, but needs to be up higher, crank-crank. Hum, stopped to ponder things for a bit .... then relaise that I am cranking up the entire bike, and it is teetering on one leg of the center stand --- oh, crap..... I was about to crank it right over on top of me... geepers.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                      Yesterday, I was working on reinstalliing the secondary driven gear assembly (dont be fooled into thinking I am some gearhead that knows all about this... I just learned what to call it, and was the first time I have ever seen one, just a couple weeks ago)
                      ... anyway ....

Was working on reinstalling the secondary driven gear set, hgave the engine all unbolted from the frame and all the bolts/rods out so can manover the engine around some to get get clearance for this (apparently GK has more stuff on the frame right there in the way), and I was jacking up the engine (like had to for the removal of the gear set) ....
                      So I am on the floor next to the bike, cranking on the jack under the engine, crank-crank- looking at the engine bolt holes lifting up from the mount holes, crank-crank- thinking I need to lift up just a bit more, crank-crank, but seems like not getting it to go up much, crank-crank, need a bit more, crank-crank, seems like I had the engine up a little higher when I removed the gear set, crank-crank, humm, engine not seeming to raise up like it did before, but needs to be up higher, crank-crank. Hum, stopped to ponder things for a bit .... then relaise that I am cranking up the entire bike, and it is teetering on one leg of the center stand --- oh, crap..... I was about to crank it right over on top of me... geepers.
                      Jeez dude..... be careful! I doubt the bike would kill you if it fell on your, but still........

Comment

Ouch Dave; glad you figured it out before it got too bad
                        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Jeez dude..... be careful! I doubt the bike would kill you if it fell on your, but still........
                          Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                          Ouch Dave; glad you figured it out before it got too bad
                          yah,... good to avoid laying on garage floor with 600 lbs of motorcycle on chest.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Timing belt, w/pump and dephaser pulley for the Renault 1.6 vvt engine.
                            It's a bit weird because all the pulleys float freely on the shafts, no keys, drive is entirely friction.
                            97 R1100R
                            Previous
                            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Removed the springs from the rear shocks. Someone had previously applied silver paint to them so I cleaned it all of to expose the bright, shiny chrome. The shock bodies need paint so I'll strip the old and redo them. Also removed the exhaust system (in order to remove the shocks) that is in surprisingly excellent condition - its the original 1982 black chrome exhaust.

Comment

Made a couple of temporary filler panels to cover the fairing lower where the mid panels would go until I decide what to do. If I ultimately decide to go without, I'll get a trashed set of mid panels and cut them longways and use the small cut piece to cover the bottom like inactive member JoeH did on his es. I don't love them, plus theres extra holes from their previous life as a refrigerator part- thats why I painted them black..... Held on by zip ties.....
                                http://20170922_205026 by Glen Brenner, on Flickr
                                sigpic
                                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                                -Rusty old scooter.
                                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Working...
                                X