No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't usually post on here because wrenching is what I do every day, but this week has me wanting my own shop more than ever. Some of the things they ask me to try an do where I'm working is really wearing on me. I'll try to make it short.

My boss has been buying Massimo side x sides this past year, supposedly at an incredible price. We have two 1100cc six seater side by sides, one red and the other camo. When we first got them I told them that the red one didn't have front brakes. It was missing both brake lines and the left caliper. I measured the length of the lines, what banjo bolts and washers that were needed and all they had to do was find them and the caliper. 6 months later the red one is being sold along with a blue 800cc two seater and they did nothing as far as getting the parts even though I reminded them repeatedly. So this week I had to take the parts off the camo one, but the master cylinder wouldn't bleed. I could build pressure by putting my finger over the outlet and pumping the pedal, but a soon as I tried to hook up the lines, it wouldn't build back up and push the fluid to the calipers. After wasting around a half a day trying everything I could think of even using a MightyVac, I finally pushed the pedal down and held it with a 2x4, then took a 60cc syringe and a 2' hose, drew fresh fluid into the hose and syringe and forced the fluid through the left caliper bleeder to the right side and out that bleeder. That finally did the trick. What a PITA, I've never had so much trouble bleeding a system. If they ever get the parts, at least I have an idea how to get it done quicker on the camo side x side.

Then I had to get the blue Massimo MSU800 ready for the same buyer. During the inspection I find out part of the 4x4 system is missing. Everything, the wiring harness and the interface or solenoids from the dash mounted switch to the front diff are missing. I can't find any information on what is missing and the system is different than all the other ones we have. I found a Hisun MU800 service manual online, which is similar since Hisun is the parent company, but it is more of an introduction to the parts of the unit instead of a service manual like we use and the wiring diagrams are in Korean with English added. It was very difficult to figure out how the system worked by just looking at it and my boss wanted me to make it work. What a headache, I tried every wire combination of the three wires coming out of the diff with the Power Probe to make the diff lock, but no matter what I did it didn't do anything. I told them I hadn't a clue. So I don't know what kind of story they are going to give the customer, but I'm sure it will be some BS. It would serve them good to loose the whole sale.
    Last edited by gsrick; 10-14-2017, 11:37 PM.
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

They are exposing themselves to a wrongful death lawsuit by selling those toys. Should have returned to manufacturer immediately. What you see tells you to not trust what you don't see.
      sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
        They are exposing themselves to a wrongful death lawsuit by selling those toys. Should have returned to manufacturer immediately. What you see tells you to not trust what you don't see.
        He is buying them from auctions without warranties. They really aren't that bad a product, it's just that I think their quality control is lacking and my boss is ignorantly buying the rejects. They would probably better to be used as parts vehicles for an actual dealer than units to be sold to the public. From my understanding Hisun is the parent company where it's products are are used under other names. I'm not sure it they are identical units with different badges or just a sum of parts, but while trying to find information about the MSU800 I did see resemblances.
        GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Yesterday, actually. I replace the crossover capacitors in my vintage Realistic Nova 7B speakers...

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

I picked this C90 up last weekend and got it running with an R6 fuel tank and pump.

I'm thinking of parting it out. it will cost close to a grand to put it back into flipping condition. $500 for a new fuel pump, fuel tank $50-100, $250-300 for tires, rear seat and fender trim $50-100, turn signals $100, new mirrors and levers $100-150 and new exhaust $250-450. Plus clean up and maybe repaint. I'm thinking it's not worth the trouble. A bare engine and titled frame are listing around a $500-1000 each on eBay and the front suspension could pull another $500. The brake and clutch masters are good wheels and rotors are good, handlebar etc................

I might see if the clutch and brake masters will fit on my Cavalcade.
            GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

New fuel valve this morning. Forced the wife and I to go for a spirited 50 mile ride through some windy roads in the mountains.

Comment

Wow that is a beautiful petcock...

I put in a Dyna S into my GS750 this weekend and took it 200 miles into the Berkshires. Works great!
                1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
                1977 GS550
                1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Wasn't much in the way of wrenching today, but I did install the new gauge bezel I bought a few weeks ago on my 850. The old one was not bad, but a little bit of the white lettering had been rubbed off, and it got so that that's all I saw when I looked at my gauges! One more small step towards restoring it to "new" condition.

BTW---- if anyone can use my old one, just drop me a PM and it's yours. The screw holes are all good, and there is no damage on any of the black plastic. The colored plastic is still all good.

Comment

We moved and downsized from our rural property this summer and finally getting to do some motorcycle projects. Room in the garage is somewhat crowded from what I'm used to so I had to first make a cart for the bike. Makes it real easy to move out of the way for winter parking. Since it's been quite a few years and about 60,000 kms since the old 1000 had a good tear down and clean up it's going to some attention this winter. Started by removing a bunch hardware for overhaul, cleaning and paint where needed. Painted a bunch of the black stuff and it's in the oven (yes the wife is away). Handlebar controls and brake parts etc. Rebuilt the rear caliper, fronts were done 2 years ago when I did the twin disk conversion. Plans for the season are to rebuild the noisy clutch basket and add the 1150 nut. Going to rebuild the wheels with new spokes they're getting pretty ugly and I have a set of OEM rear spokes on the shelf anyway. Besides it needs tires so while it's apart.......

by soates50, on Flickr
                    '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Looks beyond clean to me.
                      GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
                        Looks beyond clean to me.
                        Yeah, they always look better in the photos but it's gotten pretty grubby in the hard to reach spots and a lot of the hardware is showing it's age. Hopefully by spring (I work slow) it'll be as clean as the 750 was.

[/url]
                        by soates50, on Flickr
                        '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Sandy..... I took a look at your collection of photos on Flickr; you really have an eye! Those are really great photos. And I'll bet you're using something better than your cell phone to take the pictures, aren't you? There are several shots of the group of bikes that you were riding with; I sure wish I lived close enough to join you. That looks like fun.

As for what I "wrenched on" today (yesterday actually), I worked on prepping my bikes for the winter. Filled up the gas tanks and added a couple of ounces of fuel stabilizer to each, then ran them for a few minutes to mix and circulate it. Prepped all the metal parts with a combination of the Wizard's Power Seal and WD-40. Removed both batteries and charged 'em up on my Battery Tender, and I'll store them inside for the winter. My Honda has a sticking rear brake, and the Suzuki is making funny whining noises (from the clutch, I think), but they're going to have to wait until next spring to get fixed. Going to cover both bikes with a proper motorcycle cover and keep my fingers crossed.

Comment

This past Saturday I replaced the petcock on the GS1100E and got it running again, and tore it down for the 530 conversion. I'll be taking the wheels in to have new tires put on them as well hopefully this week sometime.

Comment

Not bike related but I tore up the carpet out of the youngest boy's room and put in a patch to fix a hole in the drywall today. Helena painted three of the walls and will finish the last once I finish the mud on the patch. Once she's done, I get to install a hardwood floor for him.
                              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Why do I have old bikes?

Certainly is not that I enjoy things like this.

Did get it drilled out (did not spin out using the left hand drill bits).
                                And retapped. ANd back together. Now fairing mounting bracket is solid and fairing doesnt shake and buzz so much.

>>> later note
                                If you dont recognise what that is, it is probably because it is one of the things unique to a GK; the extra mounts on the frame downtubes for the faring mount.

Last edited by Redman; 11-03-2017, 08:31 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
                                X