what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
    Hey Dave, I'm thinking of getting the same risers for the Bandit; did you pick them up locally or order them from somewhere? How did you figure out the cable lengths you needed?

I'm thinking of getting the holeshot handlebar set that comes with the right length cables for the bike already included based on what I see on his website
    Scott, you must be talking about the pivot risers since the Bandit already has handlebars. The pivot risers were approx. $20 on EBAY.
    Current Bikes:
    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Scott, I had put ROX risers on my FZ1 and they were perfect. Highly recommended for the Bandit, only don't get ROX, get cheaper copies from EBAY. These seem just as good a quality as the ROX, which were about $80 if I remember correctly.
      Current Bikes:

Comment

Also, Scott, I didn't change any cable lengths on the FZ1, just rerouted.
        Current Bikes:

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
          Hey Dave, I'm thinking of getting the same risers for the Bandit; did you pick them up locally or order them from somewhere? How did you figure out the cable lengths you needed?

I'm thinking of getting the holeshot handlebar set that comes with the right length cables for the bike already included based on what I see on his website
          Scott, I just took a look at the Holeshot setup. Those look great and I doubt you would need the swivel risers with those bars. You should try it out without the extra risers first. BTW, I didn't know you had a Bandit.
          Current Bikes:

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
            Scott, I just took a look at the Holeshot setup. Those look great and I doubt you would need the swivel risers with those bars. You should try it out without the extra risers first. BTW, I didn't know you had a Bandit.
            Thanks; I'll consider it but am trying to think of a cheaper route for now seeing as how holeshot wants $400 for the bars and cables. The money isn't a big issue but I would like to see all of my options so I'm going out to Iron Pony tomorrow. I don't remember Speigler being out here so I guess I need to do some looking.

I just picked the Bandit up on April 2nd
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Gave my dash on the 450 a new lease on life between yesterday and today. Love the Acewell gauge but unfortunately the O rings that make the buttons waterproof perished a while back and the catch with the design of the 2853 is that water pools around the buttons while it's parked outside of work when it rains. I'm an all weather rider so that's a little bit of a PITA.

Anway, a mate suggested I try some external buttons and just seal up the gauge face, and he kindly supplied a couple of waterproof buttons as well. Those went on the dash today and I sealed the existing buttons up with RTV, and I also replaced my 10mm LED voltage indicator with one of these: http://www.sparkbright.co.uk/sparkbr...ge-monitor.php

And unfortunately that is now showing I have a charging problem... I thought my battery was flakey after my New Years Eve slide down the road on some diesel, but alas it doesn't look like it. I'll disconnect the stator from the SH775 tomorrow and see what the AC voltage looks like... fun fun!
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

A few weeks ago the wife and I went on a trip that included New York. For our 47th anniversary we bought ourselves a painting from a local artist, it was just the canvas no frame. So today I finished and hung the picture in it's new frame above our bed. I kinda like it.

V

DSCF1678.jpg
                Gustov
                80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                81 GS 1000 G
                79 GS 850 G
                81 GS 850 L
                83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                80 GS 550 L
                86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                2002 Honda 919
                2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Picked up some basic risers from Iron Pony today for the Bandit and adjusted the rear brake pedal as the PO had it so far down I had problems reaching it when I stop (he claimed he placed it that low as he was too heavy on it). I started in on replacing Charmayne's horns but had to stop for a little bit this evening and will pick it back up later.
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

FINALLY! I'm on the road again!

Last fall my right engine cover started leaking oil somewhere. I couldn't locate the leak, but my right pantleg would be oily after a ride

I found a new cover on eBay -- one that looked nicer anyway -- and switched em, putting a fresh gasket on.

Bike wouldn't start. I forgot to choke! Then my choke cable broke.

Ordered a new one, it arrived a few days ago, and I got to ride today! Just 20 miles with my daughter because we had a busy day, but I got to ride today!
                    "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

Spent most of the day working on both bikes. It was time to check the valves again on the GS and only needed to change one shim. 41K miles on that bike so far. Afterward, I had the Carbtune plugged in and was working on re-syncing the carbs but one just would not cooperate. Instead of an auxiliary tank, I used the bike's tank propped up on saw horses. Just a small extension on the fuel line and I ran it on prime for the task at hand. I went from one carb to the next tweaking just a bit with terrible results, then realized I forgot to plug the vacuum line to the petcock. Since it's not something I do often every time is like the first, learning all over again. Finally got all four pretty close once I stuffed a bolt in the open hose.

On the KLR I got the subframe and foot peg bolt upgrade done. Drilling through the frame for the top bolt sucked a little bit. I almost cooked my 20v cordless drill but after two batteries and lots of oil I made it through. The long bolt pushed right through and fit nicely.

Sure has been nice working in a cool garage. Soon it will be too darn hot to spend much time wrenching in there. My door doesn't seal very well so the elm tree seeds keep blowing in underneath, swirling around when the wind blows. At least fumes don't build up in there with all the air leaks.
                      Roger

Current rides
                      1983 GS 850G
                      2003 FJR 1300A
                      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Changed out the oil pan with a replacement which has the correct sump plug (I'll refurb the replaced unit with a time-sert or equivalent at some stage down the track.)
                        Changed the oil filter & oil. Whilst under the bike, removed the prop stand, degreased/paint stripped/repainted all components. When paint has cured, will refit.
                        Noticed that there are no exhaust pipe gaskets fitted....Grrr! Guess that's the next little job!!
                        Cheers, Andy

Current bikes... 78 GS750E, 72 CB500K1
                        Previously owned...
                        01 VFR800Fi, 67 Honda Sports 90
                        71 Yamaha 175 CT2, 73 Yamaha RD250 (great bike!), 79 Yamaha XT250T
                        75 Kawasaki KX125 (little screamer!)
                        BMW R65, BMW R80, BMW R100LT

Comment

Confirmed my stator is toast... resistance measures 1.3 to 1.6 ohms across all three legs, but two of the legs struggle to get above 50VAC once the rev's get up there, and the third leg barely gets beyond 20VAC, so it's definitely bad. At least the SH775 still looks like it's doing its job.

To complicate matters the end broke off the headlight switch a few years ago so it's permanently on, so I can't even help it a bit by turning it off at the moment, really need to do something about that too...

sigpic

Comment

Finally got a chance to do something that qualifies a post in the thread.

My son and I started working on his bike, getting ready for summer in general, and our "little ride" in particular.

Did some clean-up and gasket scraping after this, but this is pretty much the current state:

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I managed to "dodgy up" a headlight switch last night to save my battery a little until my stator arrives.

Turns out the Aussie 450's wiring harness has the output of the headlight switch going from the right control block to the dimmer switch in the left control block via a single bullet connector rather than through the plug, so it was a simple matter of mounting a waterproof switch on my dash bracket and effectively splicing it in with a male and female bullet connector. Problem solved!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                                Finally got a chance to do something that qualifies a post in the thread.

My son and I started working on his bike, getting ready for summer in general, and our "little ride" in particular.

Did some clean-up and gasket scraping after this, but this is pretty much the current state:

That looks like fun, Steve!

Ed
                                GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                                GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                                Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                                Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Working...
                                X