what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gustovh View Post
    A few weeks ago the wife and I went on a trip that included New York. For our 47th anniversary we bought ourselves a painting from a local artist, it was just the canvas no frame. So today I finished and hung the picture in it's new frame above our bed. I kinda like it.

V

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54593[/ATTACH]
    Very cool Vince. I bet it matches very well all the other copper work you have in the house.
    '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      ......My son and I started working on his bike, ...........
      Any particular situation that is the main reason for this....?

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
        That looks like fun, Steve!
        And that is just the first one.

His bike was having problems. Caught the leaking petcock before any damage was caused. Have not replaced the petcock yet, so we decided to tear into his bike first. While we are waiting on parts and some machine work, we will likely get into Mrs. Steve's bike. It only needs steering head bearings, fork rebuild and brake pads. When all that is done, MY bike goes under the knife. It will look like this one, but will also get new pistons and rings in the process.

Gotta get them running good and looking right for our trips this summer. First to Brown County, then The Traveling Picnic, then our "little ride".

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          will look like this one, but will also get new pistons and rings in the process................
          How does someone determine that need pistons and not just rings (the question that is delaying similar project for my bike).

Last edited by Redman; 04-17-2018, 10:25 AM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Fired up the Kat for the 1st time in 7 months.
            It developed a weird ticking noise I thought was the cam chain tensioner, so I bought a manual one, noise is still there.
            Not sure what I'm looking for, pulled the valve cover checked the valve clearance, all looser than when I did my last ride in September.
            Adjusted them, still a ticking rattling sound when I fired it up. I picked up a used head last summer, lapped all the valves, new pistons, rings and a hone, did 20 heat cycles, bike seemed fine. Then a noise developed after a trackday. During the trackday a guy on modern gixxer came over in the pits and said I was blowing white smoke. Hmmm. I checked the plugs after the trackday, they were super white-running lean apparently. The jetting was exactly like it was before the top end rebuild. I pulled the carbs and bumped up the mains 2.5 sizes before the last ride, the bike seemed ok aside from the ticking, but I didn't rev it super hard.
            I had intentions of pulling the top end, bought head and base gaskets, valve seals and exhaust manifold gaskets, but the rings only have about 400 miles on them, so the thought of tearing into it again seemed like a waste until I know what I'm looking for, which I don't.

I think I need another gear head to have a "listen" to help decide how to proceed.
            GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
              Fired up the Kat for the 1st time in 7 months.
              It developed a weird ticking noise I thought was the cam chain tensioner, so I bought a manual one, noise is still there.
              Not sure what I'm looking for, pulled the valve cover checked the valve clearance, all looser than when I did my last ride in September.
              Adjusted them, still a ticking rattling sound when I fired it up. I picked up a used head last summer, lapped all the valves, new pistons, rings and a hone, did 20 heat cycles, bike seemed fine. Then a noise developed after a trackday. During the trackday a guy on modern gixxer came over in the pits and said I was blowing white smoke. Hmmm. I checked the plugs after the trackday, they were super white-running lean apparently. The jetting was exactly like it was before the top end rebuild. I pulled the carbs and bumped up the mains 2.5 sizes before the last ride, the bike seemed ok aside from the ticking, but I didn't rev it super hard.
              I had intentions of pulling the top end, bought head and base gaskets, valve seals and exhaust manifold gaskets, but the rings only have about 400 miles on them, so the thought of tearing into it again seemed like a waste until I know what I'm looking for, which I don't.

I think I need another gear head to have a "listen" to help decide how to proceed.
              Bugger! Is it an exhaust gasket leak at all? I do know a guy who had a weird ticking sound and thought he had a head issue only to discover he hadn't quite filled the oil enough. Topping it up made it go away... I suspect that's not your issue but thought it worth a mention...
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                Bugger! Is it an exhaust gasket leak at all? I do know a guy who had a weird ticking sound and thought he had a head issue only to discover he hadn't quite filled the oil enough. Topping it up made it go away... I suspect that's not your issue but thought it worth a mention...
                Hey Pete,

I think it's much worse then that, but I don't know for sure. It sounds more top end related, but could be lower, who knows. I'm hoping not a connecting rod or main bearing, however the sound is more rattly/smaller sounding, not a big knocking/lumpy sound. I recorded the sound on my android phone, but I'm too inept at knowing how to post it here. It would be great to get some 2nd opinions on what might be going on, as it sounds terrible at the moment.

I do have a new to me trackbike (04 750) to try this year, but I'll miss riding the Kat.
                GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Fingers crossed it's nothing too major! I understand missing riding the Kat... I've never ridden mine yet but I already miss it

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
                    Hey Pete,

I think it's much worse then that, but I don't know for sure. It sounds more top end related, but could be lower, who knows. I'm hoping not a connecting rod or main bearing, however the sound is more rattly/smaller sounding, not a big knocking/lumpy sound. I recorded the sound on my android phone, but I'm too inept at knowing how to post it here. It would be great to get some 2nd opinions on what might be going on, as it sounds terrible at the moment.

I do have a new to me trackbike (04 750) to try this year, but I'll miss riding the Kat.
                    My old GS1000G had a mysterious ticking noise that increased in speed with RPMs. I never figured it out while I owned it, but a later owner found out it was due to cam walk, or side to side cam movement. I'm not exactly sure what he did, but something to do with machining a specific thickness spacer or shim to take up the slack, and that's the extent of my knowledge on the subject. You should check into it on your bike.
                    Current Bikes:
                    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Exhaust leaks at the head sound just like something dire is going wrong, every time.
                      ---- Dave
                      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                        Any particular situation that is the main reason for this....?

It is leaking oil on his left boot and pant leg. Visible seepage from head and base gaskets.

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                        How does someone determine that need pistons and not just rings (the question that is delaying similar project for my bike).
                        Well, the PROPER way to determine that is to measure the piston and the cylinder to see if they are both in spec. HOWEVER, ... I know I will be taking my bike down to replace the base gasket. I don't have that many miles on my bike (about 30k), but since the pistons will be hanging out in the breeze, I thought it would be a good time to replace the rings, as well. I have a set of NOS pistons that I got a few years ago as spares, so I figured it would be a bunch easier to just put the new rings on the new pistons and swap complete assemblies. Yes, I know to check the end gaps before installing, it will be done correctly.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Now, to answer what I wrenched on, I got the head and block back from the machine shop. I have seen some nice machine work before, but have never seen one quite like this.
                          Please note: I did not do anything more than wipe off fingerprints.

I don't think I got ripped off for $45. Yeah, another $45 for the top of the cylinder block.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

Oooh shiny! That's some nice work right there Steve!

sigpic

Comment

Built my own leakdown tool and tried it out. Good readings - all below 5%. Had my daughter help me disassemble the carbs in preparation for getting in some new jets for the 4-1 leanness I'm seeing. Also finally scored a #3 carb body for $20. Time to fix that wallered out pilot mixture jet.

Comment

Doh. Pulled airbox to rejuvenate carbs (ref above carb pull) and noticed the airbox / air cleaner box gasket was half dislodged. Theres probably my leanness issue....

Comment

Working...
                                X