what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Uncamitzi View Post
    Got valve clearances checked and fixed, replaced stator (rick's) polished covers on both sides, replaced DOCC badge and SUZUKI badges, cleaned electrical contacts on fuse box, polished highway guards cleaned frame. .... still lots to do.
    You did all that today!?

Comment

Originally posted by MI GS850G guy View Post
      You did all that today!?
      Finished that up..been whittling at it for a week ...lol
      sigpic
      Well, my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle.

1980 GS850GL

Comment

After replacing the battery I pulled out of my 550T for Charmayne last week with her new one this morning, I installed the wiring for my new GPS mount on the Bandit and replaced both headlight bulbs with Silverstar Ultra ones. We'll have to wait until later in the week to see how well they work
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I wrenched on the neighbors swamp cooler. Temps are supposed to be in the 90's this week.
          Roger

Current rides
          1983 GS 850G
          2003 FJR 1300A
          Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

I wrenched on my 1978 GS1000 all day. I installed an original air box, removed old rusted luggage rack, installed rear turn signals, replaced battery, remounted windjammer faring, and a few days ago changed five shims This old bike runs GREAT! I do have a concern about air leaks between engine and carb. Idle at 1.2k rpm, when starting fluid is sprayed on a couple intake boots rpm goes to 1.75k-2.0k. It really runs good though.
            1978 GS 1000

Comment

I put new grips on Saturday. Nope, no wrench involved.
              Current Bikes:
              2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Re-geared my T120, go to 22:30 for the test if you don't watch me yammering on...
                Running -1 in the front and +2 in the rear. The bike is now very light in the front under acceleration, pretty quick for a parellel twin.
                Jedz Moto
                1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                1988 Honda GL1500-6
                2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                Originally posted by Hayabuser
                Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Getting ready for Brown Co. Hooraw. Pulled top end off the 1100 motor while valve job is being performed. Here's the topend@ 33k. Has massive oil leak. Piston has a nice wash along the edges. Have had a spare motor for probably 25 yrs. Never seen rain because it was run a 1/4 mile at a time. Interior of this motor is v/g cond. But needed the valve train work
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by limeex2; 05-08-2018, 08:59 PM.
                  Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                  Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                  Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Was going to post a pic of the water heater I just replaced but realized that I took it out and put the new one in faster than I can change the jets in the 550. Compared to GS wrenching, the water heater was too easy....

Comment

Here's the cyl's going into above mention bike. Notice what happen's when one's brain is not connected to hands. Please engage brain while working on bike. Cleaning excluded. Used Belzona 1111 epoxy to fix up broken. We have this at work and is pretty slick stuff. https://www.primeltd.com/info/19773/...-Belzona-1111/
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by limeex2; 05-08-2018, 09:29 PM.
                      Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                      Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                      Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Started installing lights on the side cases of the Bandit but ran out of time tonight.
                        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                          Started installing lights on the side cases of the Bandit but ran out of time tonight.
                          Is there a picture of your Bandit anywhere? Would like to see it.
                          Current Bikes:
                          2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Tick-Tock-Tick-Tock... Patiently waiting for the new Carb Manifold clamps to arrive so I can put the freshened up carbs back on the bike... Floats moving freely now, however.

orca-image-1525820637184.jpg

Comment

Had to do some maintenance on the 450 last weekend and last night.

The front brake has been getting a bit grabby for quite a while now, only at rolling/nearly stopped speeds so not dangerous but certainly annoying. I tried replacing the lower caliper axle a while back but it has a rubber boot around it that doesn't appear on any parts fiche's, so it seems NLA which is annoying as it doesn't seem to be quite right.

I'd switched over to copper grease quite a while ago, but recently was told this can get a bit abrasive, so last weekend I cleaned and degreased everything and am now giving high temp bearing grease a shot. I also completely flushed the fluid.

So far so good, see how it goes for a while. I think longer term it might need the Salty Monk treatment but no budget for that as I really want to get my Kat finished first.

Untitled by starpoint73, on Flickr

Then last night was finally stator replacement time. I thought my battery was on the way out a number of weeks ago and assumed it wasn't happy after I threw the bike down the road on New Year's even morning.

However I replaced the voltage monitor on my dash and that instantly showed I had a charging problem, probably should've verified that sooner! Anyway, testing the stator showed two legs not going over 50VAC and one barely able to touch 20VAC.

The stator being replaced is an Electrex World brand, around about 5 or so years old, and I have an SH775 with the stator connected directly to the Furukawa connector. No headlight loop, no bullet connectors.

After replacing it I fired the bike up very briefly (less than 10 seconds) as it was after 9pm, but the charge light went instantly orange then green. Yay!

No wonder it wasn't charging right... some of those coils are quite crispy indeed!

1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                                Had to do some maintenance on the 450 last weekend and last night.

The front brake has been getting a bit grabby for quite a while now, only at rolling/nearly stopped speeds so not dangerous but certainly annoying. I tried replacing the lower caliper axle a while back but it has a rubber boot around it that doesn't appear on any parts fiche's, so it seems NLA which is annoying as it doesn't seem to be quite right.

I'd switched over to copper grease quite a while ago, but recently was told this can get a bit abrasive, so last weekend I cleaned and degreased everything and am now giving high temp bearing grease a shot. I also completely flushed the fluid.
                                If the holes the sliding pins go in aren't floppy with wear, you're good for ages yet. The boot you mention has been a must get​ item for me for ages, but I can't find them, or they were extortionately priced. I'm keeping an eye out for something unexpected that will fit.
                                That rubber sleeve on the pin swells up and causes stickiness, too. It's a bit of a balancing act finding the right lube for it, but red rubber brake grease seems ok with it.
                                So far so good, see how it goes for a while. I think longer term it might need the Salty Monk treatment but no budget for that as I really want to get my Kat finished first.

Then last night was finally stator replacement time. I thought my battery was on the way out a number of weeks ago and assumed it wasn't happy after I threw the bike down the road on New Year's even morning.

However I replaced the voltage monitor on my dash and that instantly showed I had a charging problem, probably should've verified that sooner! Anyway, testing the stator showed two legs not going over 50VAC and one barely able to touch 20VAC.

The stator being replaced is an Electrex World brand, around about 5 or so years old, and I have an SH775 with the stator connected directly to the Furukawa connector. No headlight loop, no bullet connectors.

After replacing it I fired the bike up very briefly (less than 10 seconds) as it was after 9pm, but the charge light went instantly orange then green. Yay!

No wonder it wasn't charging right... some of those coils are quite crispy indeed!

Looks like the period before the SH775 went on had already done the damage. It was living on borrowed time.
                                ---- Dave
                                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                                X