No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally got the inlet valves in - what a right pig that was. I'd done a lot of heads over the years, and several bike heads including GS ones, and this turned out to be a right mare. The exhaust collets were fine, once I'd got the tool set right, but these inlets just didn't want to go in. I was sure I had the tool set right, but had to stand back and examine things afresh. Hah. Turned out the tool adjuster wasn't screwing down the compressor head, but simply winding the adjustment thread through the tool end, instead. Once I locked that properly it was fine.
    Sheesh, half an hour struggling and back killing me because of that.
    I'll know next time - whenever that is.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
      Is there a picture of your Bandit anywhere? Would like to see it.
      Did you ever find a pic of Cowboy's Bandit? Sure is a nice looking bike.

Here's one from the ride today thread.

Roger

Current rides
      1983 GS 850G
      2003 FJR 1300A
      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
        If the holes the sliding pins go in aren't floppy with wear, you're good for ages yet. The boot you mention has been a must get​ item for me for ages, but I can't find them, or they were extortionately priced. I'm keeping an eye out for something unexpected that will fit.
        That rubber sleeve on the pin swells up and causes stickiness, too. It's a bit of a balancing act finding the right lube for it, but red rubber brake grease seems ok with it.
        Ah I had a feeling this was somewhat of a known issue, and yes, I've thought for a while now that boot must be swollen.

I'll have to give the dealer a call I get my OEM parts from and see if they have any solutions. They're awesome when it comes to Kats but not sure on their general GS knowledge. They're pretty helpful and switched on guys though.

Looks like the period before the SH775 went on had already done the damage. It was living on borrowed time.
        If only that was the case! The stator and the SH775 were installed together to swap out the SH532 and first burnt out stator... the SH532 was still ok but stator was toast, and that lasted maybe 2 years? That was the same brand stator too which is the easiest and most cost effective to get over here. My maths are off a bit too, the one I just replaced was only about 4 1/2 years old at most.

I have a mate who's used the same brand stator, and also got the 4 to 5 year life out of it, we suspect they may only be designed to last that long.

This time around I'm trying a DB Electrical brand which is half the price. I figure if it lasts as long I'll be ahead, and 4 to 5 years is fine for me.
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post

If only that was the case! The stator and the SH775 were installed together to swap out the SH532 and first burnt out stator... the SH532 was still ok but stator was toast, and that lasted maybe 2 years? That was the same brand stator too which is the easiest and most cost effective to get over here. My maths are off a bit too, the one I just replaced was only about 4 1/2 years old at most.

I have a mate who's used the same brand stator, and also got the 4 to 5 year life out of it, we suspect they may only be designed to last that long.

This time around I'm trying a DB Electrical brand which is half the price. I figure if it lasts as long I'll be ahead, and 4 to 5 years is fine for me.
          Uhmm.. that's not good. Otoh, I've been running an old stator that was definitely past its best - not crispy, but well-used - for the past couple of years on the SH775, and I would have thought if there was any strain put on it, it would have burnt up by now. I've been doing this quite deliberately to see how long it would last.
          Suppose we'll just have be aware of the possibility of failures, as everyone seems taken with (and I've been promoting) the idea of this being a fit-and-forget final cure for the stator problem.
          Damn.
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Took apart the fuse box and gave all the contacts a thorough cleaning, along with the main harness connector.

Comment

Uhmm.. that's not good. Otoh, I've been running an old stator that was definitely past its best - not crispy, but well-used - for the past couple of years on the SH775, and I would have thought if there was any strain put on it, it would have burnt up by now. I've been doing this quite deliberately to see how long it would last.
              Suppose we'll just have be aware of the possibility of failures, as everyone seems taken with (and I've been promoting) the idea of this being a fit-and-forget final cure for the stator problem.
              Damn.
              Yep, figured it would be too good to be true for the SH775 to be a final solution.

Mainly I'm kicking myself for not replacing my charge indicator sooner as that would've told me exactly when the stator started going out, rather than distracting me thinking my battery was having issues after the tip over.
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Today I replaced the intake manifold O rings. With all that goes with it, I fixed the air leak. The intake boots were in good shape, so I felt good. Test ride was almost red line in the first 4, 110 mph when I hit 5th. It's good!
                1978 GS 1000

Comment

Carbs back together with new OEM Bowl Gaskets and Needle/Seat Assemblies, with floats adjusted to 22.0mm, and installed. Rejetted the carbs down from the DJ155s to a set of DJ150s, drilled out to 1.65mm, which should yield approximately 152.5 or so.

Test ride last night in 80-degree sunshine felt good. Bike was crisp and seemed to accelerate nicely. Didn't notice any surging, etc. Will do a proper plug check the next time out but I think I've about got her dialed in.

Suzuki_Garage.jpg

Comment

UPS man delivered me some new tires👍 The one advantage of changing your own tires is that you can clean everything real good. The cycle shop just changes the tires they don't clean anything. I got the rear tire done along with lubing the driveshaft splines. Tonight I'll work on the front.
                    Attached Files
                    My Motorcycles:
                    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                    79 1000e (all original)
                    82 850g (all original)
                    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                      UPS man delivered me some new tires👍 The one advantage of changing your own tires is that you can clean everything real good. The cycle shop just changes the tires they don't clean anything. I got the rear tire done along with lubing the driveshaft splines. Tonight I'll work on the front.
                      Good for you! I'm looking forward to changing mine from now on as well.
                      Roger

Current rides
                      1983 GS 850G
                      2003 FJR 1300A
                      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                        UPS man delivered me some new tires The one advantage of changing your own tires is that you can clean everything real good. The cycle shop just changes the tires they don't clean anything. I got the rear tire done along with lubing the driveshaft splines. Tonight I'll work on the front.
                        I can't wait to get this Bias front tire off the Bonneville and swap to those puppies. I'm burning it off, plan on doing the tubeless conversion on the rim (yes there is a safety bead on the Triumph rims) and running the PR4GT's as well... Phenomenal road tire, handle great and they take for ever to burn off... I had a front PR4GT last +25K miles on the Connie and nearly 7K on the rear. The Bonnie is pretty good to the rear tire, amazing how TTC looks after tires.

I'm running those on the Bandit.
                        Jedz Moto
                        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                        1988 Honda GL1500-6
                        2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                        2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                        2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                        Originally posted by Hayabuser
                        Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

These are the bad boys I got for my 850. Got them put on by a friend of mine who has a vintage shop at his house. They look good on the roller, can't wait to see it with the engine in it too hhaha

Comment

Originally posted by Motojoe2492 View Post
                            These are the bad boys I got for my 850. Got them put on by a friend of mine who has a vintage shop at his house. They look good on the roller, can't wait to see it with the engine in it too hhaha

https://www.ebay.com/itm/110-80-19-1...YAAOSwGwlaBz9n
                            Cool! Had those on my V Strom. There have been a few times I wish I had them on the 850 as well. Now when I come to a less than perfect dirt road I try and leave it for the KLR.
                            Roger

Current rides
                            1983 GS 850G
                            2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

Originally posted by Motojoe2492 View Post

https://www.ebay.com/itm/110-80-19-1...YAAOSwGwlaBz9n
                              I clicked on your E-Bay link.... What a nice set☺
                              My Motorcycles:
                              22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                              22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                              82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                              81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                              79 1000e (all original)
                              82 850g (all original)
                              80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

FYI, I was actually referring to the tires...
                                Roger

Current rides
                                1983 GS 850G
                                2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

Working...
                                X