Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like my 550e linkage.

Comment

Had to fix a gas leak today. A crack appeared in the gas line just below the petcock. Of course, not until after I had gas all over my pant leg on the way to work. Thankfully, there was enough hose to trim it off.

Also, got a new seat from Seth Laam motorcycle seats yesterday. He actually modified a used one I sent him. So far I am pleased. Will know more after the traveling picnic this weekend.
      Current Bikes:
      2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
        No wrenching, but some preparation. I'm trying to get the window motors to work on a '96 Astro. The new motor didn't work in the van, so I want to test externally. I need to stick wires in connectors, attach to a battery, and use a fuse. So I went to find a fuse holder. Radio Shack used to be the easy source for such thing. In Lafayette, IN, there was a nice small store for radio/electronics/alarms/computer parts. In Albuquerque, there seemed to be no stores for such things. In Cedar Rapids, Iowa, I went to Iowa Radio Supply, which used to be big and carried almost everything. Now it is tiny, and carries very little. I was able to find what I need for this task.

So it now appears that internet purchases are about all that is available for such items. Sad.
        Tom, did you talk to Border States Electric over off of Jefferson? They look to have what you'll need based on their site and from what I remember when I lived there, the folks are real good
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I had a trying day at work. Yesterday and today I've been trying to figure out an intermittent starting issue on an 07 gsxr 750. I get a code 42 (immobilizer)which is the ignition not speaking to the ECM. This causes the fuel pump and spark to fail. I tested and replaced the TO sensor, fuel pump relay, ignition switch(with one from the parts room), turn signal relay/ diode, stop kill switch and ECM, with known good components from a running bike. Nothing made a difference and every component when put on the donor bike worked flawlessly. I tested continuity of all the wires involved with every component and even tested the fuel pump. That's what I was told was the problem to start with. I even switched to a brand new battery. I thought I might have gotten it fixed when I disconnected the battery once and the code went away. It finally started, so I shut it off and the code came back. I figured maybe the ECM was resetting like the Honda's do, but it doesn't. After inspecting everything that came to mind, I put it back together with it's original parts and decided just to mess with the ignition. I found that I could turned it off just enough for the power to go off, but not enough to pull out the key it would start more often than not, so it has to be the key switch, but when I change the switch from the good bike it still gave me the C42 code. I'm beginning to think the bike is possessed and I need to call for an exorcism.
          GSRick
          No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
          Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

New clutch for the 550

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
              I had a trying day at work. Yesterday and today I've been trying to figure out an intermittent starting issue on an 07 gsxr 750. I get a code 42 (immobilizer)which is the ignition not speaking to the ECM. This causes the fuel pump and spark to fail. I tested and replaced the TO sensor, fuel pump relay, ignition switch(with one from the parts room), turn signal relay/ diode, stop kill switch and ECM, with known good components from a running bike. Nothing made a difference and every component when put on the donor bike worked flawlessly. I tested continuity of all the wires involved with every component and even tested the fuel pump. That's what I was told was the problem to start with. I even switched to a brand new battery. I thought I might have gotten it fixed when I disconnected the battery once and the code went away. It finally started, so I shut it off and the code came back. I figured maybe the ECM was resetting like the Honda's do, but it doesn't. After inspecting everything that came to mind, I put it back together with it's original parts and decided just to mess with the ignition. I found that I could turned it off just enough for the power to go off, but not enough to pull out the key it would start more often than not, so it has to be the key switch, but when I change the switch from the good bike it still gave me the C42 code. I'm beginning to think the bike is possessed and I need to call for an exorcism.
              I'm pulling out my hair just reading that... Perhaps pull the battery again with the known good switch installed so it resets the fault? Note: I'm outa my depth on that one.

Today I sanded 6 lbs of bondo, rust and house paint off of an otherwise rasonably sound GS550E tank... I'll never figure why somone would use so much bondo without any damage to fix? they even bondo'd over the old pinstiping! I marked it up as a teenage-first-time-using-filler-sculpture, chuckeled and reminded myself that heaps of bondo is better than heaps of dents.

Comment

Replaced old rubber (original??) brake hoses with steel braided lines and kevlar pads.. wow...what a difference! oh...and I guess the new tires made a difference too..
                Last edited by Uncamitzi; 07-12-2018, 01:24 AM. Reason: added thought
                sigpic
                Well, my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle.

1980 GS850GL

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                  Tom, did you talk to Border States Electric over off of Jefferson? They look to have what you'll need based on their site and from what I remember when I lived there, the folks are real good
                  No, I never did. They didn't come up in my internet searches...

Oh, well, I don't live there any more. But thanks for the information.

Tom
                  sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Originally posted by scratch View Post
                    I'm pulling out my hair just reading that... Perhaps pull the battery again with the known good switch installed so it resets the fault? Note: I'm outa my depth on that one.

Today I sanded 6 lbs of bondo, rust and house paint off of an otherwise rasonably sound GS550E tank... I'll never figure why somone would use so much bondo without any damage to fix? they even bondo'd over the old pinstiping! I marked it up as a teenage-first-time-using-filler-sculpture, chuckeled and reminded myself that heaps of bondo is better than heaps of dents.
                    Well it is the ignition switch. The replacement switch I was given to try, is a very good Chinese copy that looks identical, but it doesn't have the antenna to receive and send the signal back to the ECM. . I was told it was OEM, but it isn't. I tried it again and noticed some of the blue plastic protector over the keyhole they use to keep the cheap metal from tarnishing before it is bought. I took the one from the known good donor bike and it started every time I tried it. I have one from a part out bike at home, but they want to play the cheap game on me. I ought to tell them just to take there chances with eBay. I've been with them almost 4 years come Nov. and they still want to play games.
                    GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
                      ..........replacement switch................ ...... .... doesn't have the antenna to receive and send the signal back to the ECM. ..................
                      Oh, Man. I didnt know there were such things.

Sounds like you were quite determined to troubleshoot this down... and you did. I was wondering what you might learn along the way.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Tires came off the Bandit this morning and taken to Iron Pony in Columbus OH for a swap but I ran out of time to put them back on tonight due to other commitments so I'll finish it tomorrow night.
                        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I changed the front tire on my 1100G, but …Doh!!! Put it on backwards! So, did it again the right way.
                          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                            Tires came off the Bandit this morning and taken to Iron Pony in Columbus OH for a swap but I ran out of time to put them back on tonight due to other commitments so I'll finish it tomorrow night.
                            Just curious Cowboy, what tires did you go with? Iron Pony pretty reasonable on mounting and balancing? I like the fact that they Spin Balance the wheels.
                            My Motorcycles:
                            22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                            22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                            82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                            81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                            79 1000e (all original)
                            82 850g (all original)
                            80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                              Oh, Man. I didnt know there were such things.

Sounds like you were quite determined to troubleshoot this down... and you did.
                              I have to, it's how I pay the bills.
                              Originally posted by Redman View Post
                              I was wondering what you might learn along the way.
                              Don't trust the parts I'm given to be authentic OEM replacements. I could have figured this out in a couple of hours or less, if I didn't have a cheap boss.
                              GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                                I changed the front tire on my 1100G, but …Doh!!! Put it on backwards! So, did it again the right way.
                                When you work at a shop, you learn fast to make sure's going the right direction. I've done it a couple of times when I first started doing this for a living. I even had one all the way on the bike before I caught it. I was tightening the brake caliper bolts and had that, DOH! moment when I noticed the arrow pointing the wrong direction. Funny thing is it wasn't a week later I had a customer come back pizzed off saying I put his front tire on backwards. My boss said the guy was coming back in and I told him I guarantee it was on right. The guy came in and I looked at it and pointed to the arrow pointing forwards and he points to the tire tread saying it isn't right. How can you argue that. I didn't make the tire. I didn't design the tread pattern.
                                GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Working...
                                X