No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wife's bike, 1982 GS850G. Cam chain and valve clearance. Bought an open chain, (DID 219 FTS(S)). It even came with a rivet master link!
    Kevin
    E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
    "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
    Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Got to do some wrenching... tire lug wrench.... deep into Kings Canyon Nat'nl Pk... Saturday late afternoon..... and my plan included travling 300 miles the next day.

Someone lost some tent stakes on the road, and our rental car found one of them.
      I wonder if that someone's plans got as messed up as much as mine.
      Last edited by Redman; 07-25-2018, 12:20 AM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

4 on the floor & flat 6... the car weighs more than I can fathom. Stopping it requires anticipation. It's fun but (I still prefer a bike)
        Looks like I'm doing a carb clean and rebuild on the twin rochesters next week...

Also had a 1930 Pontiac in this past weekend hunting down a loose ignition wire... First care I've ever driven with wooden wheels!

Tonight it was valve cover gasket for my GL1200 as I'm getting it buttoned for sale to be replaced by my GK.

Comment

Ah...this explains your lack of participation in this week's, "Pic of the week," thread.

You were busy cleaning stakes out of the road...

Hope the rest of your trip goes better...

Originally posted by Redman View Post
          Got to do some wrenching... tire lug wrench.... deep into Kings Canyon Nat'nl Pk... Saturday late afternoon..... and my plan included travling 300 miles the next day.

Someone lost some tent stakes on the road, and our rental car found one of them.
          I wonder if that someone's plans got as messed up as much as mine.
          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

I dropped the fork tubes so I could have them rebuilt with slightly stiffer springs to match my rear shocks.

Access Google Drive with a Google account (for personal use) or Google Workspace account (for business use).

Access Google Drive with a Google account (for personal use) or Google Workspace account (for business use).

Attached Files

Comment

Oooops, that's not good.

Rebuilding the front end on my '02 Chrysler 300M and found this...

When I get the lower control arm out I'll probably make a cap to go over the top of it and weld it in place. Not going to be a picnic.

Did this a couple of weeks ago. That one kicked my arse.

De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Cough, fart, bang. That's how my original, unobtainable (for a decent price) emblem met it's demise. Bike was overheated on a 104F. day during the rally and while slipping the clutch in first gear while looking for a parking spot it quit and fell over, Casualty was a small gouge in the points cover but a destroyed emblem ...bummer. Luckily while going through my parts collection i found a new cover and an emblem from a 550 I some how ended up with. It's quite a bit smaller diameter than the original but thought if I just painted the area it didn't cover it would work. So I masked and shot the cover with some satin VHT caliper paint and voila. Turned out alright.

by soates50, on Flickr

I also had my fancy RK X-ring chain suddenly within about 1,000km go from being perfectly fine to wearing out and needing about 3 full turns on the adjuster over that mileage to get home. By the time I got home it was riding up on the sprockets and making some very bad noises. Don't know what happened but I split the chain and the pins were dry and heavily worn. Weird thing is the o-rings were all intact, no rust, chain was always properly adjusted, lubed,etc, etc. Only got about 12,000 miles out it ...should have been 2.5 times that. WTF. Never had that happen before. Anyway I ordered the parts and did the 530 chain conversion because on the ride home I thought if this thing craters nobody is going to have a 630 chain.
                Last edited by Sandy; 07-27-2018, 06:34 PM. Reason: fixed images
                '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                  ....I also had my fancy RK X-ring chain suddenly within about 1,000km go from being perfectly fine to wearing out and needing about 3 full turns on the adjuster over that mileage to get home. By the time I got home it was riding up on the sprockets and making some very bad noises. Don't know what happened but I split the chain and the pins were dry and heavily worn. Weird thing is the o-rings were all intact, no rust, chain was always properly adjusted, lubed,etc, etc. Only got about 12,000 miles out it ...should have been 2.5 times that. WTF. Never had that happen before. Anyway I ordered the parts and did the 530 chain conversion because on the ride home I thought if this thing craters nobody is going to have a 630 chain.
                  Nice recovery for the emblem. Such creative techniques get more important as our machines age and parts are unavailable.

Strange with the chain. Thin surface heat treatment?
                  sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                    Cough, fart, bang. That's how my original, unobtainable (for a decent price) emblem met it's demise. Bike was overheated on a 104F. day during the rally and while slipping the clutch in first gear while looking for a parking spot it quit and fell over, Casualty was a small gouge in the points cover but a destroyed emblem ...bummer. Luckily while going through my parts collection i found a new cover and an emblem from a 550 I some how ended up with. It's quite a bit smaller diameter than the original but thought if I just painted the area it didn't cover it would work. So I masked and shot the cover with some satin VHT caliper paint and voila. Turned out alright.

by soates50, on Flickr
                    I find this awesome...

Comment

I took a 3 kid stroller and turned it in to a Soapbox derby car for the parade in town next Saturday.

Gustov
                      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                      81 GS 1000 G
                      79 GS 850 G
                      81 GS 850 L
                      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                      80 GS 550 L
                      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                      2002 Honda 919
                      2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by gustovh View Post
                        I took a 3 kid stroller and turned it in to a Soapbox derby car for the parade in town next Saturday.

Please explain your steering system?
                        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                          Please explain your steering system?
                          There is now two foot pads with straps. Since the soapbox race is a straight drag race, it is only necessary to keep it in the lane.
                          So bank the wheels right or left and you turn just enough to do the job. There is also a break on each front wheel to help with the steering and of course to stop.

Last edited by gustovh; 07-29-2018, 02:58 PM.
                          Gustov
                          81 GS 1000 G
                          79 GS 850 G
                          81 GS 850 L
                          80 GS 550 L
                          2002 Honda 919
                          2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by gustovh View Post
                            There is now two foot pads with straps. Since the soapbox race is a straight drag race, it is only necessary to keep it in the lane.
                            So bank the wheels right or left and you turn just enough to do the job. There is also a break on each front wheel to help with the steering and of course to stop.

Cool Vince, hope it works out. Not that you want to spend any more money on it than necessary to have fun but it will roll much better with smooth high pressure road bike tires rather than those mountain bike tires you have on it.
                            '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Not really intended to race Sandy, just a demonstrator to peak the imagination of local kids this year for next years race. There is not an adult category so I can't race anyway.

V
                              Gustov
                              81 GS 1000 G
                              79 GS 850 G
                              81 GS 850 L
                              80 GS 550 L
                              2002 Honda 919
                              2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Little bit more, every year…

Spent 5 hours Wednesday and 5 more Thursday, updating the rear caliper on my 1990 GSX750F, track day bike.
                                Thought this job would go much faster but, had to turn the swing arm over so I could weld on a new torque arm mount.
                                Decided to spray the swing arm black too.
                                All this just look a bit cooler, some slight performance improvement by lowering the weight, the bike might be slightly more flick-able on turn ins.
                                Now:

Before:

Full bike now:
                                "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                                1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                                1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                                1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Working...
                                X