what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by themess View Post
    Titanium? Looks too dull for steel or aluminum. Nice lugs.
    Steel. It's dull from blasting.

Regarding Ti, pretty sure you can't braze it. And I've never seen a lugged Ti bike unless you want to count glued together frames with Ti tubes.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Head gasket oil leak. Cleaned the cooling passages while I was in there. Going to change the steering housing while the front end is devoid of all components.
      Last edited by rustybronco; 10-25-2018, 07:25 PM.
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I rolled on a truck bed liner using Herculiner from Lowe's. Turned out surprisingly nice looking. Around $80 for a nice bed liner as opposed to a professional sprayed on liner for $500 or more. It's a slow drying and really stinky moisture curing urethane with rubbery chunkies in it. If it's stirred up frequently the texture stays consistent throughout the job. One gallon did the 8 foot bed minus the tailgate. I put three coats to get everything covered and plan to eventually buy an additional quart just for the tailgate. We had rain right after I applied the final coat and I stressed about it blistering up or something. No issues though.
        Roger

Current rides
        1983 GS 850G
        2003 FJR 1300A
        Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Just an oil and filter change for the GS today. Oh, and a much needed bath afterwards.

I've always fumbled around with a funnel getting used oil back in a jug. Today the light bulb finally lit!

Roger

Current rides
          1983 GS 850G
          2003 FJR 1300A
          Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

I have been using big funnels for many years. After most oil is in the jug, I find something to lean the drain pan against, and let it finish draining overnight.
            sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

I had a moment yesterday when I finally decided to tear into the Kat engine that's been sitting there for 6 months.
              I really had a hard time getting over the fact that the nearly brand new gaskets cost $150 bucks, and the pistons were $500 and the bore n hone $225.
              Pulled the top end on an engine with less than 500 miles. 3 burned Wiseco 1229 pistons, 1-3 with one having a 1/4'' notch above the top ring.
              #4 looked normal. All the others had black scars on both sides, deep into the skirts. Guess I now know where the terrible sounds were coming from.
              GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Not very exciting but after having a non working horn for over a year and trying various recommendations on fixing it to no avail I broke out a fat $5 bill and just bought a new one

Works great. I dont ride much in the rain anymore so I cant speak to its water resistance but it is a tad smaller than stock and it was plug and play.

Comment

Originally posted by Boriqua View Post
                  Not very exciting but after having a non working horn for over a year and trying various recommendations on fixing it to no avail I broke out a fat $5 bill and just bought a new one

Works great. I dont ride much in the rain anymore so I cant speak to its water resistance but it is a tad smaller than stock and it was plug and play.
                  Loud?

. . . .

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

My friend Amy calls me to tell me her muffler has a hole in it. No problem, I call the muffler guy in town. I figure it's a lot easier for me to pay someone than me crawling under the car. Turns out he's all booked for Saturday. I call my mechanic, he's going out of town. I tell her just bring it over and I'll figure something out. I see a hole right before the muffler. Cool, this is going to be easy. I wrap it with muffler tape and a metal band. Start the car, it's still loud! Here the pipe was broken up by the engine. I had to grinde a flang off, laying on my back. Put a splice in... I'm getting to old for this stuff. I told her "let me know if you have anymore problems. I think I adopted a car!🤔
                    My Motorcycles:
                    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                    79 1000e (all original)
                    82 850g (all original)
                    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

I used to do all my own exhaust work. Put the car on jackstands, hacksaw out the defective section, replace using adapters and exhaust system clamps. No more. Selection of clamps is too small to fit all but the simplest situations. Components made of good stainless steel last a very long time, and need to be welded in. Overhead welding while lying under it, no way....My 1995 Mazda Protege's original muffler lasted a quarter million miles.
                      sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

My son took our 85 Dodge Power Ram in some brush or something and punched a huge hole in the muffler. I scabbed on a piece of sheet metal and used rivets all around it to quiet that beast down. It held for a while and no welding was involved. Pretty hoaky repair, but it worked.

People around here, and probably elsewhere, are getting catalytic converters stolen right out from under their parked cars. I guess they have some precious metals like silver or platinum in them. My neighbor's daughter had one taken from a Jeep Cherokee. They live in an apartment complex so it's a bit hard to look outside and see their vehicle at night. Still, even with what appeared to be a cordless reciprocating saw, that had to make one heck of a racket.
                        Roger

Current rides
                        1983 GS 850G
                        2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

I guess I don't mind taking on another car. I hate hearing stories about $700 brake jobs when she just needs a new set of pads. Or the check engine light, women freek out when they see that! That's $500 to get it turned off, for it to come back on 100 miles down the road... A friend was driving my car home. She says "Norm your check engine light is on". I told her "If it goes out let me know". 🌞
                          My Motorcycles:
                          22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                          22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                          82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                          81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                          79 1000e (all original)
                          82 850g (all original)
                          80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

The converters contain platinum. I don’t know what the scrapyard pays, but they do buy them as a separate item.
                            sigpic
                            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                            -Rusty old scooter.
                            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                              Loud?

. . . .
                              To me it sounds the same as I have had on any other bike. I rarely use my horn but a week ago a cab got stuck at the gate to my community and started backing up and I had to shout to get him to notice me. Figured out. It was time to get a horn. For $5 it was worth the chance.

Comment

It's been 12 years since I bought my horse trailer and in that time I have never replaced the floor. However, I started getting concerned with the way one section felt so I moved the trailer from the barn to our garage yesterday and after, removing the air conditioner, managed to just get it in with room to spare (trailer stands 9'3" with the air conditioner). Then today, I took the floor from:

Old Horse Trailer Floor by Scott Baker, on Flickr

To:

Horse Trailer Floor Removed by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Sadly, we found we have some welding to do on the sides where a metal frame should sit on top of the boards. I also noticed today I will need to repair the electric brake wiring as whoever last got into them put scotchloks all over the place

Electric brake wiring by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Plus my quick repair of my tail/brake lights last year failed again so I'll take the time to permanently fix them

Wiring for tail lights by Scott Baker, on Flickr
                                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                                X