what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks decent Grimly!!!
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Was annoyed that had to wait until April for it to be acceptable temps to work in garage.
      But in April, I should be riding.
      Well, maybe not now.

Not too bothered by the weather and snow. Since dont have the bike available anyway.

This area is to be used only for general GS topics. For non-GS related topics, join the Off-Topic usergroup. <b>Technical questions are not to be posted here.</b>

Last edited by Redman; 04-15-2019, 07:38 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

It snowed in MI today?
        1982 Katana 1100, 1997 HD Ultra Classic, 1996 Buell S2T, 2002 BMW K1200RS, 1969 Royal Enfield Interceptor Triton project
        New project 1979 GS1000S
        Recently sold 1979 Honda CBX1000

Comment

Originally posted by johnod View Post
          It snowed in MI today?
          Yesterday (sunday), here in west michigan had 4 - 5 inches of heavy wet snow this morning. Mostly melted by evening.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
            Yesterday (sunday), here in west michigan had 4 - 5 inches of heavy wet snow this morning. Mostly melted by evening.
            Well that blows, I thought we were done with that in this area.
            1982 Katana 1100, 1997 HD Ultra Classic, 1996 Buell S2T, 2002 BMW K1200RS, 1969 Royal Enfield Interceptor Triton project
            New project 1979 GS1000S
            Recently sold 1979 Honda CBX1000

Comment

Originally posted by Hayabuser View Post

Oh, gee. A Goldwing!

Comment

Finally got the 850 out of the workshop and back outside, with its new bits on.
                A quick run around the back roads left me feeling quite happy with the engine, but less happy with the state of the roads. It helps to have set the the air pressure in the shocks, of course. I... umm.. totally overlooked that and every bump and ripple in the road had me chattering my teeth and cursing the state of the tarmac.
                Anyway, took it out later in the darkness to check the new headlamp out, and as I suspected the Cibie headlight is a great match for the LED bulb. The beam pattern is really quite good on dip and penetrating on main. The auxiliary lamps are the same as they were before of course, and chime in to illuminate the nearside ditches and far off road surface.
                Only thing I found was the Pantera fairing sits on the Vetter bracket not quite exactly the same as the Vetter did (no great surprise there) and will need a slight correction to the angle of tilt. As it is, I ran out of headlight adjustment, so I'll have to raise the front mount slightly. No big deal, it was never an off-the-shelf thing anyway.

---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Grim, Those are some mirrors. And those are some lights.

Headlight is LED?
                  How about the 3 aux lights? If not, I would be concerned about the charging system keeping up.

Comment

Going through the process of dipping my carbs for the first time on my bike. Time consuming yes, but they definitely needed it considering how much the first one cleaned up after the dip.
                    IMG_1064.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                      Grim, Those are some mirrors.
                      Hah. They were originally on some type of Toyota light truck. Not sure exactly what, and neither was the seller, but they fitted well, even if a bit wide for filtering. Just as well I don't have much in the way of traffic queues around here.

And those are some lights.

Headlight is LED?
                      How about the 3 aux lights? If not, I would be concerned about the charging system keeping up.

Yes, all lights are LEDs now, except the position/sidelights and indicators in the fairing. Not got around to replacing them yet, but their impact is minimal.
                      Total headlight and two auxies is around 80W (the left light is a main/dip 5 3/4" headlight from an earthmover, and the right light is a long distance multi-led spot), so well within the limits of the alternator. From previous experience I know the stator is capable of running two 60W halogens when on the open road, but it loses output when in town, so I had to switch one in/out depending on use. That's not a problem any more.
                      I'll replace the right-hand aux with another main/dip unit that matches the left-hand one. Just waiting on another set of headlamp LED bulbs.
                      Or I may go the whole hog and replace both with 7" main/dip matching units.
                      Last edited by Grimly; 04-18-2019, 08:50 PM.
                      ---- Dave
                      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.

Comment

Originally posted by jlyon40 View Post
                        Going through the process of dipping my carbs for the first time on my bike. Time consuming yes, but they definitely needed it considering how much the first one cleaned up after the dip.
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]57762[/ATTACH]
                        A lot of us will recognize the little plastic bags with o-rings in the background.
                        Wise choice.
                        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

IMG_2359 - Copy.jpg Slow afternoon. As gasket was weeping slightly, I thought I should check clearances. All within spec. New gasket, all good.
                          gs1100gk 1985 (x 2)
                          gs850g 1980
                          Previously owned
                          gs1100gk 1984(just sold).
                          gs850g x 2 '79, '80, gs1100gk x 2 '84, '85, gs1000 '78, gs1100g '82, gr650 '82, Buell x 2 '99 & '09, Harley xlch '65, Yam vmax '95, FJ1100 '82, Honda 500/4 '74, Kwaka z250 '80...

Comment

drained the storage gas, replaced with fresh, pressed the starter and in 3 revs the ol' girl started up perfectly. Good stuff!
                            1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Took the opportunity of good weather to paint the ramp sections and sprinkle them with dried sand. They're now hardening overnight and I'll see what the result is tomorrow before putting a second coat on to seal the sand in.
                              ---- Dave

Comment

Last weekend I pulled the rear wheel to replace the valve stem and managed to finally stop air from seeping out of the bead as well. I was pleased to see the drive spline still in great shape after 45K miles.

During the week my new Progressive shocks came in so this morning after breakfast I got things put together. Coming in from the garage I realized my wife had just now gotten into the shower to get ready for church. Oooh cool, time for a quick ride! Round the block I went, and again, and again LOL. Pulling into the garage I thought I'd still have time to pull the oil plug and filter so it could drain while we were at church. After all that I still had time to do the dishes and take out the trash. After coming home I filled the crank case with a jug of Rotella and popped in a new filter. Good to go!

Here's a pic of the new shocks. Not the most expensive ones out there, but I can already feel the improvement.

I had a major Oh crap moment while raising and lowering the rear wheel to get the axle in and shocks on right. I neglected to chock the front wheel and the bike lunged forward off of the center stand! I found myself on my knees behind the bike holding it up by the now loose rear rack. I carefully stood up and steadied the bike, then very slowly walked around and lowered the side stand. I'm sure the manual says to chock the front while working on the back but for some reason I never worried about it. Wheew, that could've been bad! Before doing anything else I secured the front and will definitely do this from now on.

Roger

Current rides
                                1983 GS 850G
                                2003 FJR 1300A
                                Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Working...
                                X