No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found out the hard way that my 1980 1100L didn't need a tube. Came with one, had been using one for the last 16 years until this happened last year in Leavenworth Wa. replaced with napa stem as you did, but turns out the spotface was not necessary.

V
    Gustov
    80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
    81 GS 1000 G
    79 GS 850 G
    81 GS 850 L
    83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
    80 GS 550 L
    86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
    2002 Honda 919
    2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by gustovh View Post
      I found out the hard way that my 1980 1100L didn't need a tube. Came with one, had been using one for the last 16 years until this happened last year in Leavenworth Wa. replaced with napa stem as you did, but turns out the spotface was not necessary.

V
      Yeah, that actually was a pretty good way to blow a day mid trip, relax and have a few brews.
      '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

A quick balancing on the old poor man's wheel stand, and done...

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Installed a new exhaust on the Katana tonight:

New is a bit of a misnomer though being that this exhaust was once on this Katana when Rob owned it, but was removed when he mocked up the turbo system that he never finished. When the turbo bits came off, a Vance & Hines exhaust was installed and lived on (and off) the bike until I got it. Nice to reunite the bike and the pipe again... looks fantastic! Can't wait to hear it tomorrow.
          2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
          2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

Removed the carbs on the GS1000 last night in order to send them to Steve for a rebuild on Monday. Removed the petcock and noticed a very fine wet "dust" had almost completely covered the fuel strainer on the petcock. I assumed that it was varnish residue from the 13 year old gas that the PO did not get completely out of the tank. So...….I removed the fuel gauge and taped up the openings, put a gallon of Evapo-rust and 6000 BB's in the tank and started shaking! After about a half hour I noticed that my arms hurt like he!!, and was sure that this was not going to get any easier! Then it dawned on me to wrap the tank in a blanket and use my porch glider to "shake" the tank. After a couple of hours of "rocking" it in the glider, I drained the Evapo-rust and removed the bb's, rinsed the tank with acetone once, rinsed it out a few times with fuel and put it all back together. At least now I know the tank is clean!
            Ron
            When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
            1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
            1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
            1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
            1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

I peeked in at my 550 today. It was exhausting so I think I will try again next week. I found out how long the plastic bottle used for meguiars plasti X polish lasts.
              turns out 17 years.

Used it last year fine today squeezed out some and the bottle shattered like a robin egg. The stuff is almost robins egg blue is that a coincidence? Absolutely!

I transferred the remnants to another container after polishing all the headlights I could do without getting arrested. Really makes yah think god this guy is cheap.
              1983 GS 550 LD
              2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Continuing to prep the old girl for Brown County this weekend, with an oil/filter change, and replacing the left motor cover with something that looks a little better.

New rear tire arriving Tuesday....

Comment

Looks great Bob
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

My fairing developed a crack right above the adjuster for the headlight. I don't know what that little hole was put there for, but this is the second one I've had crack in that spot. Last time it was irreparable though.

Id like to thank Steve for the idea of dissolving some ABS pipe pieces in acetone and making a slurry mixture. I had a roll of thick fiberglass tape used to reinforce joints in cement board which will hopefully prevent it from spreading.

I'll let it dry the rest of the day and sand it a bit to flatten it out. Maybe next time mix it a little thinner.

Roger

Current rides
                    1983 GS 850G
                    2003 FJR 1300A
                    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                      Continuing to prep the old girl for Brown County this weekend, with an oil/filter change, and replacing the left motor cover with something that looks a little better.

New rear tire arriving Tuesday....
                      Finally, at long last we will get to see the red beast. Looking forward to it Bob.
                      Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                      '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                      '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                      '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                      '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Checked and verified the false readings I was getting yesterday from my oil temp gauge.
                        Turns out the C scale is not to be trusted, but the F scale is very nearly bob-on, checked by dunking the sender in a freshly boiled kettle.
                        I have another gauge coming in the post, with only C scale on it, so hope that's correct. In the meantime I can carry on reading it in F.
                        ---- Dave
                        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

This:

IMG_8600.jpg

2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
                          2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                            Took some chasin' to find the NAPA valve stems. Bought the only two they had at the local warehouse.
                            The counterbore with pilot arrived from Amazon, ($19), a day early...so...
                            Did the conversion yesterday, mounted the tire, still holding air, so on the bike she goes this morning.
                            Hoping to get the oil changed and a few other "spring things" done today.

Before:

After:

Ready to install:

Is that part #90-426 ?
                            1982 Katana 1100, 1997 HD Ultra Classic, 1996 Buell S2T, 2002 BMW K1200RS, 1969 Royal Enfield Interceptor Triton project
                            New project 1979 GS1000S
                            Recently sold 1979 Honda CBX1000

Comment

Originally posted by johnod View Post
                              Is that part #90-426 ?
                              It is..............

Comment

Originally posted by Hayabuser View Post
                                This:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]57941[/ATTACH]

What exactly did you do?
                                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                                X