• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
    Excellent stuff.
    Using the original triggers?
    Yes. Coils too.

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
      Details please! I attempted this on my 82 450 when I rebuilt it and discovered my ignitor was dead, but all the information I found to do it referenced signal generators with higher impedance figures and the firing was just all wrong and I never got it running beyond an idle. I ended up getting a hold of another ignitor fortunately.

On another topic... this week I have repaired my horn mount on the Kat and got the VM33 Smoothbores installed again with the altered slides ready to start tuning.
      This guy Lou did excellent work on this stuff, found here: http://gpzweb.s3-website-us-east-1.a...ZgmHEImod.html
      I've done it many times on Suzukis and Kawasakis I've had.
      I have a 2006 Katana using HEIs and points. I just never have luck with used ignitors.

Comment

Originally posted by rfkac View Post
        This guy Lou did excellent work on this stuff, found here: http://gpzweb.s3-website-us-east-1.a...ZgmHEImod.html
        I have a 2006 Katana using HEIs and points. I just never have luck with used ignitors.
        Wow ok and it worked just like he has it listed?

I ask because that was my starting point when trying this on my 450. I ended up having a back and forth conversation with Lou for a little while as I tried to diagnose why it didn't work for me, and in the end I gave it away when I ended up getting a Dynatek and then the used ignitor (I had some fun with my ignition system along the way).

I'm just surprised you were able to get it to just work like that, just not sure what I was doing wrong now but it was 9 or 10 years ago now...
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

It was that exact diagram I used when I built a set for my 79 bike - it worked fine, but the crank was knackered, so the ignition hasn't had a proper road test in the four years or so since I made it.
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
            Wow ok and it worked just like he has it listed?

I ask because that was my starting point when trying this on my 450. I ended up having a back and forth conversation with Lou for a little while as I tried to diagnose why it didn't work for me, and in the end I gave it away when I ended up getting a Dynatek and then the used ignitor (I had some fun with my ignition system along the way).

I'm just surprised you were able to get it to just work like that, just not sure what I was doing wrong now but it was 9 or 10 years ago now...
            Originally, just the left cylinder was getting no spark with the stock ignitor, so I set it up using the HEI only for that cylinder.
            Was running OK for a little while, then the right cylinder would seem to fire when it wanted to.
            I had spark, so I kept cleaning and messing with the carb.
            I should have noticed that the spark was weak for the right cylinder(orange spark), so set up HEI for that cylinder too.
            What a difference.
            Installed it just like the diagram. Stock pickups and coils.
            Need to make sure all the grounds are good.
            Last edited by Guest; 10-27-2019, 12:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
              It was that exact diagram I used when I built a set for my 79 bike - it worked fine, but the crank was knackered, so the ignition hasn't had a proper road test in the four years or so since I made it.
              Those cranks...
              The 2006 Katana I have weeps oil from the crank at the pickup side.
              I believe the oil was saturating the pickups, thus no spark.
              I fabricated a cover plate, and installed a points plate from a 1977 GS750.
              I use the points to trigger the HEI's for spark.
              Quicker than a 2005 Katana I had. I guess I'm getting more spark advance.
              Pic of 2006 Katana with points (LOL!):DSC_0001.jpg

Comment

Originally, just the left cylinder was getting no spark with the stock ignitor, so I set it up using the HEI only for that cylinder.
                Was running OK for a little while, then the right cylinder would seem to fire when it wanted to.
                I had spark, so I kept cleaning and messing with the carb.
                I should have noticed that the spark was weak for the right cylinder(orange spark), so set up HEI for that cylinder too.
                What a difference.
                Installed it just like the diagram. Stock pickups and coils.
                Need to make sure all the grounds are good.
                Thanks for the details, much appreciated!
                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I Installed new fork seals because the right one was leaking. While I was in there I upgraded the springs with 1.1 sonics and 10wt oil. It’s nice having 99% of the correct tools. Definitely made the job easier. Read many posts here to make the job and decisions easier.
                  1979 GS850G
                  2004 SV650N track bike
                  2005 TT-R125 pit bike
                  LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Originally posted by tas850g View Post
                    While I was in there I upgraded the springs with 1.1 sonics and 10wt oil.
                    Have you ridden it yet? I will be interested in what you think. If it's the bike in your avatar, there is no fairing on the front, and your gravitational attraction is a bit less than mine. Just wondering if the 1.1 springs might be too much. It feels great on my bike (also using 10w oil).

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Made a set of arms for Emil of the Seattle Knights about 18 years ago. It was time for a rebuild.

V
                      Gustov
                      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                      81 GS 1000 G
                      79 GS 850 G
                      81 GS 850 L
                      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                      80 GS 550 L
                      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                      2002 Honda 919
                      2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Vince, that is some impressive tin work. Nice job.

Add- Just looked up Seattle Knights. Your work is used in shows / exhibitions?
                        Last edited by dorkburger; 10-29-2019, 12:10 PM.
                        sigpic
                        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                        -Rusty old scooter.
                        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by gustovh View Post
                          Made a set of arms for Emil of the Seattle Knights about 18 years ago. It was time for a rebuild.
                          V

Sir Emil the Black

Perpetual living evidence of old age and treachery, Emil lives for combat. Explosive, temperamental, and proud a combination that would have speeded a less skilled knight to an early grave, these attributes have melded Emil into something more akin to a force of nature than a mortal man.
                          ?

?
                          ?
                          ?

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Yes I have several pieces used by the knights that I have made them over the years, and a suit or two as well.

V
                            Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                            Vince, that is some impressive tin work. Nice job.

Add- Just looked up Seattle Knights. Your work is used in shows / exhibitions?
                            Gustov
                            80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                            81 GS 1000 G
                            79 GS 850 G
                            81 GS 850 L
                            83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                            80 GS 550 L
                            86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                            2002 Honda 919
                            2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Got the AFR gauge installed in a temporary fashion today. Just a quick and dirty lash-up that can be removed in two minutes.
                              I'll make a better enclosure for it; as the one I made, while it does the job just looks totally trashy.

It's not showing mega-lean, that's just it running through its setup routine. Earlier on I warmed the bike up and got some figures from it at least while sitting in the workshop unloaded. It's sitting at 13.1 at any steady rev state up to 3K. Interesting to see the SU enrichment process working when I open the throttle.
                              ---- Dave
                              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Pulled out a tank I've had for several years and started to take it back to bare metal. It's an original Frepin tank - a locally made aftermarket frame kit for TZ Yamahas. It has visible damage hence taking it back to bare metal - aluminium in this case.
                                Paint off and a skim of bondo appears...Start taking the bondo off and some impressive dents start appearing....
                                I'd thought I was pretty good at covering up damage with filler but this is another level. I should have realised that the final crash that wrote the bike off probably wasn't it's first, LOL. Typical 70's racebike. Fill it. paint it and race it. I was told the bike it came off broke in half...
                                I want to use the tank on a new build so I'll carry on cleaning it off. Aluminium dent repair is much more common now and more practical too.
                                I'll post a pic when it's bare but this is what a Frepin looked like.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X