No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm looking for an adhesive to attach extenders onto my new carbs so they reach the airbox. It needs to be resistant to fuel, vibration, make a tight seal and be removable at a later date if required. Supplier says he uses Loctite 620 but that's nearly impossible to remove without applying a lot of heat 230c+. Anyone have a suggestion?

IMG_1519.JPG
    1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Originally posted by wyly View Post
      I'm looking for an adhesive to attach extenders onto my new carbs so they reach the airbox. It needs to be resistant to fuel, vibration, make a tight seal and be removable at a later date if required. Supplier says he uses Loctite 620 but that's nearly impossible to remove without applying a lot of heat 230c+. Anyone have a suggestion?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]59851[/ATTACH]
      RTV? or SRV?
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Got the fizzy put back together finally and it's running good.
        Current Bikes:
        2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
          RTV? or SRV?
          the carbs? Mikuni RS36
          1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Originally posted by wyly View Post
            the carbs? Mikuni RS36
            If there's enough surface area for the adhesive, high temp RTV silicone might work.
            If not then it's a Cold Shot…
            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

Five minute epoxy - Araldite here but same style elsewhere - softens at around 100C.
              Easily achieved with a heat gun.

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
                Got the fizzy put back together finally and it's running good.
                Good.
                Just in time for . . . . . let me guess, before it gets colder.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

87 Honda CBR600: Rear brake sucked.
                  Rebuilt; rear caliper, master cylinder (K&L kits), new EBC Sintered HH pads and decent used disc.
                  Snow showers now, but will take a joy ride New Year's Day.
                  Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 12-31-2019, 10:35 AM.

Comment

I've been "wrenching" on where I "wrench"... Spent some time over my Christmas/New Year brake doing a serious garage tidy, threw out a whole bunch of accrued crap that's just taking up space, and as a result ended up with enough room to add an extra small workbench for my drill press and bench vice as well as being able to relocate the bench grinder. Now I have a handy area I can do all my bending/cutting/drilling to stop making a mess on the workbench where I do my mechanical and electrical stuff as well as enough room to park the 450 and the Kat side by side properly.

I got to christen the new workbench yesterday cutting the 450 mudguard down ready for painting too.

Untitled by starpoint73, on Flickr

Untitled by starpoint73, on Flickr
                    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Finally got the leaking lump out of the GS1000. That engine is manageable without a head or cylinders on it! Now to get the frame and other bits off to the sandblaster, them on to the powder coater. Then I can start putting it all back together. Hope to have it done in time for Brown County this year!
                      Ron
                      When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
                      1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
                      1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
                      1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
                      1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                        Good.
                        Just in time for . . . . . let me guess, before it gets colder.
                        Exactly! Oh well.
                        Current Bikes:
                        2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Made an improvement to the temporary portable wheel chair ramp I made up to the front door.

I made that in June 2018, for when my brother visits, so he doesnt have to crawl up the steps.
                          Here is posting from then:
                          This area is to be used only for general GS topics. For non-GS related topics, join the Off-Topic usergroup. <b>Technical questions are not to be posted here.</b>

It is in three sections that I can handle, to put away into the shed out back, but is not easy.

Here is picture that shows the 2x2 I added along the underside of each piece to make better hand-hold.
                          Much easier to handle now.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Strong enough to hold the GK?

Comment

Lets see: 3/4 plywood, glued and screwed to frame work, 32" width, 24" span , ...... hum.....
                              Last edited by Redman; 01-09-2020, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Depends how fast he goes. Flank speed!
                                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Working...
                                X