what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redman View Post
    Lets see: 3/4 plywood, glued and screwed to frame work, 32" width, 24" span , ...... hum.....
    My Harbor Freight 4x8 trailer is sheeted with 1/2" ply, and it used to hold my GS, strapped down, without reinforcement. That was before the ply started going bad. I've beefed it up with some 2x4 underneath where the wheels sit now. So, if you ever have the need for a pic of the GK on that ramp (or in the kitchen), I do believe it will hold.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I got the extenders fixed to my new RS36 carbs. I didn't do anything myself but I did take them to my mechanic it cost me less than if I bought the Loctite 620 and he did prep work that I never would have done machining the anodizing off so the 620 would grip better.

The best part is I got to pry bike knowledge out of his brain he's a crew chief on the WorldSBK , it's not every day I get to chat for a hour with someone with that level of knowledge. I also got to see the new BMW S1000RR he's prepping for the upcoming race season.
      1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Robert, having a guy like that to help out is fantastic.
        I am sure by now you know his favourite coffee, beer, Scotch?
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
          Robert, having a guy like that to help out is fantastic.
          I am sure by now you know his favourite coffee, beer, Scotch?
          I never even thought of that! On my next journey out there I'll pick something up, if I guess wrong I'll find out then what he likes.

I know he normally doesn't like clients watching him work but he's okay with me being there with my endless questions, even given me his private cell number so I can text more stupid questions. He's worked the world racing circuits with a number of teams and he's only 30minutes from my home I can't ask for better help. After some of the incompetents that I've had do work for me it's like winning a lottery.
          1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Mounted my first car tire today. Not as hard as I thought it would be. Well, it was a spare donut type thing, but still a car tire lol.

Still can't believe Kia sells new cars with a flat repair kit instead of a spare tire.
            Roger

Current rides
            1983 GS 850G
            2003 FJR 1300A
            Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

To which Kia models does that apply? I think that Mazda can't fit a spare into Miatas, so they do something like that. But, a Miata isn't a general purpose car.
              sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
                To which Kia models does that apply? I think that Mazda can't fit a spare into Miatas, so they do something like that. But, a Miata isn't a general purpose car.
                2018 Kia Soul.
                It came with a container of sealant and a 12v air pump tucked into the compartment that was made for a spare tire.
                Roger

Current rides
                1983 GS 850G
                2003 FJR 1300A
                Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Pulling my carbs again to double check I put the correct jets in the correct locations. Turns out the Main needle jet can fit where the "main" met fits but they are very different in bore size. The bike runs fine but still won't start with the choke, but starts without.

Oh well
                  Current Bikes:
                  2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

If it won't start with choke but will start without choke, that would tell me it's too rich at idle, so more likely to be the pilot jet or air or mixture screw depending on the carb. Not sure which bike you're referring to but when I had the stock Kat carbs on I noticed it had plugs over the pilot jets, and without those I reckon it would've been too rich at idle as it would've allowed excess fuel in. Do your carbs have a setup like that?
                    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                      If it won't start with choke but will start without choke, that would tell me it's too rich at idle, so more likely to be the pilot jet or air or mixture screw depending on the carb. Not sure which bike you're referring to but when I had the stock Kat carbs on I noticed it had plugs over the pilot jets, and without those I reckon it would've been too rich at idle as it would've allowed excess fuel in. Do your carbs have a setup like that?
                      No plugs over the pilot jets. I've tried adjusting the pilot screws in more but doesn't help. Manual says 2 to3 turns out. (2001 FZ1 btw) I have them currently at 1.25 turns out so fairly leaner than supposed to be. Anyway, I still need to make sure I put everything where it's supposed to go.
                      Current Bikes:

Comment

Which, I hadn't. Main jets were in the starter jet slots and the old mains, which were not even stock sizes were in the main slots. I found the old starter jets which were still good, made sure they were clean with compressed air and put them back in the starter slits and put the new mains that came with the kit I bought and were OEM sizes where they belonged. What a mess I made. Also put pilot screws back to 2 turns out. I'll reinstall carbs another day. Wasn't prepared for that much cussing today.
                        Current Bikes:

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
                          Wasn't prepared for that much cussing today.
                          I know that feeling! Sounds like you're on the right track though!
                          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Wrestled the carbs back on tonight. Will give it a go tomorrow. Putting these carbs in and out on this bike reminds me if doing on the 1980 GS550L. Absolutely minimal room to work with.
                            Current Bikes:

Comment

Finally got a little project running today. It'd fired previously but was very reluctant to run. Achingly lean.
                              It's half an FZR250 - relinered to take GSXR400 pistons which makes it 152cc. For a local class which mainly runs singles.
                              The carbs are 28mm Keihins off a Honda NSR250 MC18. And have proven fiendishly difficult to set up for a small fourstroke - but they were cheap...
                              Price up downdraft FCR's if you wonder why I persevered, LOL.
                              The key was to block the powerjet air bleeds. Not needed here but providing way too much air to the emulsion tubes

There's a bigger inlet cam in it. The crank is cut just past the camchain sprocket and the unwanted oil passages blocked off.
                              Might do 18,000 rpm, we'll soon see, LOL. Doesn't owe me much at all.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by GregT; 01-15-2020, 02:40 AM.

Comment

And this is the roller. There's an in-frame small tank and a cut down early FZR tank cover over that.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X