No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you ever start something and come to regret it? I thought it would look good to polish my tank, I'd forgotten what a pain in the butt it was the last time I polished a tank. Suzuki put more paint on the tank than I've ever seen any car or bike, I think it was painted and clear coated twice, and two sets of decals on one side too. I tried an automotive chemical paint stripper and it barely put a dent in it. I went through and entire can of stripper and the clear-coat, decals and paint hung on like nothing I've ever seen before. I switched to mechanical means, a brass wire brush on my drill today I hand sanded. Two days in and my tendinitis has returned to my elbow and my fingerprints are gone so I can't open my phone by touch...but I do think it's gonna look great. I think I'm going to paint the rubber tank protectors the same as the fairing.

IMG_1565.jpg
    Last edited by wyly; 02-13-2020, 12:10 AM.
    1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Originally posted by wyly View Post
      Did you ever start something and come to regret it? I thought it would look good to polish my tank, I'd forgotten what a pain in the butt it was the last time I polished a tank. Suzuki put more paint on the tank than I've ever seen any car or bike, I think it was painted and clear coated twice, and two sets of decals on one side too. I tried an automotive chemical paint stripper and it barely put a dent in it. I went through and entire can of stripper and the clear-coat, decals and paint hung on like nothing I've ever seen before. I switched to mechanical means, a brass wire brush on my drill today I hand sanded. Two days in and my tendinitis has returned to my elbow and my fingerprints are gone so I can't open my phone by touch...but I do think it's gonna look great. I think I'm going to paint the rubber tank protectors the same as the fairing.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]60238[/ATTACH]

Use an aircraft paint stripper, I did on mine and the paint fell off.
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
        Use an aircraft paint stripper, I did on mine and the paint fell off.
        That's what I used, Aircraft and Auto stripper and that's what I expected to happen, I bought it at an auto body supply shop. I wanted to avoid using a wire brush or scraping so I wouldn't have to remove deep scratches.
        1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Originally posted by wyly View Post
          That's what I used, Aircraft and Auto stripper and that's what I expected to happen, I bought it at an auto body supply shop. I wanted to avoid using a wire brush or scraping so I wouldn't have to remove deep scratches.
          I tried strippers, then I tried draping a lacquer thinner soaked rag over a body part. Wow, fast and powerful! Boils right up, great for steel parts.
          Caution: Can't have it on a plastic part for more than a couple minutes before the ABS begins to melt too.
          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Replaced the cheapanese relays in the fairing and the frame for some decent Bosch ones. I hadn't had any trouble with them, but they are a bit flimsy and I simply don't trust them, as the top pops off far too easily, which would leave them adrift and capable of causing some mayhem.

Also stripped a Telefix fork brace from a set of L forks that had been lying around for 20 years. Some monkey had attempted to strip them but all they'd done was round off all the cap bolts. It took some heat and the judicious application of a Torx 30 adjusted with a precision percussion instrument to achieve full undoing.

---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

A "precision percussion instrument" sounds so much better than a b.f.h.
              Nicely said, Grimly.
              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Checked valve clearances and all are too tight to measure…wha?
                Ok, did some reading here and learned they just get tighter with wear.
                So I ordered 3 shims in a size range of: 2.50, 2.45 & 2.40. I'll try each in place and determine the correct size shims for my final order.
                Looks like Z1 prices are 1/3rd of bikebandit's.
                Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 02-16-2020, 12:51 PM.
                "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

After begging for it yesterday again, it was finally warm enough that I spent time on the bike side of the garage this afternoon. I won't completely say the isopropyl alcohol with wintergreen was the the right thing to use but I was able to get my carbs back on a lot easier than the first time a few weeks ago. And, I reinstalled the left coil after repairing one terminal that had come out back when I removed it to try using on Charmayne's bike. I wasn't ready to fire it up though so I turned the key on to at least function test the lights and discovered that after sitting for a year, my Motobatt discharged enough that it's dead (charger saying it is charged but voltage is >9v). And yes, even Motobatt recommends putting the battery on the charger once a month for about 24 hours at most. Sadly I didn't do that but I'm actually not that upset since it's been about three years since I last replaced it anyway.
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Battery Tender pays for itself...
                    sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
                      Battery Tender pays for itself...
                      Yes it does; something about a piece of metal in my leg starting May of last year kind of made me forget about it for awhile especially since I only rode the Bandit once I could start riding again.
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                        Checked valve clearances and all are too tight to measure…wha?..........
                        Too tight to measure is not too unusuall, but ALL of them...

If can still spin the bucket around, then concider the clearance as Zero, and figure from that.
                        Other folks can probably describe in more detail.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Replaced warped front brake rotors today with used pieces. from a GS850, IIRC. I don't have a way to check runout but will test with ride soon. Not sure what new OEM front rotors spec new, but these were at 5.0 mm with my crude caliper. 4.5 is the wear limit. I have new front and rear pads on hand, but the old ones still have a lot of meat. Hope to install my new Sonic fork springs next.
                          1981 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                            Too tight to measure is not too unusuall, but ALL of them...

If can still spin the bucket around, then concider the clearance as Zero, and figure from that.
                            Other folks can probably describe in more detail.
                            The last time I checked the clearances was 25,000 miles ago.
                            This and other stuff is what happens when your bike seems to run great year after year.
                            Other stuff: Found all the intake O rings were fossilized and broken, valve stem oil seals were hard as Bakelite.
                            Mostly it was time that hardened all the rubber parts, 38 years.
                            Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 02-18-2020, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                              ew…

[QUOTE=Buffalo Bill;2586935]The last time I checked the clearances was 25,000 miles ago.
                              [QUOTE]

Guess that would explain the toasty looking valve.

I'm curious how it ran. Were there any indication of the valves hanging open like rough idle or hard starting, low compression numbers etc?

Also, can burnt valves be reused without issue?
                              Roger

Current rides
                              1983 GS 850G
                              2003 FJR 1300A
                              Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

[QUOTE=Burque73;2586942][QUOTE=Buffalo Bill;2586935]The last time I checked the clearances was 25,000 miles ago.

Guess that would explain the toasty looking valve.

I'm curious how it ran. Were there any indication of the valves hanging open like rough idle or hard starting, low compression numbers etc?

Also, can burnt valves be reused without issue?
                                Them valves ain't burnt, they're encrusted with burnt oil that leaked down the stems. That's the one condition I expected because it happens to all 4 stroke engines in short order.
                                The bike ran very good, smooth slow or fast. Recently I felt a slight hesitation when I whacked the throttle open, but attributed that to mid 30º weather.
                                Also found the snorkel was loose and off the box, that would affect intake velocity/response.
                                From looking at the bowl floats, I must have tuned it rich to compensate for air leaking around the hardened O rings.
                                Compression was 135 psi, all cylinders. All plugs had a slight amount of white ash, inside the acceptable range but slightly lean.
                                I cleaned up those valves already, and did a slight back cut. I'll lap them in after I do a stage 0.8 port and polish job.
                                When I first pulled them out, the seats were clean, I got greazy fingerprints all over them before I took that pic.
                                If any don't lap in pretty, I'll replace them.
                                Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 02-18-2020, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X