No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

aah. The 400gsx is an "Aoshima" model I got from ebay. The kit I bought actually came with an option to make the earlier 400 (teardrop tank,different seat and a complete older 4 valve engine!) so you could make an accurate looking GS450E with the correct-looking engine...but I'm not sure all the kits have this option. There's two different boxes...

The price of these models can be ridiculous! but I kept looking and eventually got one from Japan for much less

Comment

Ah I see! I spotted an Aoshima GS400E kit on eBay and local to here so I couldn't resist and snapped it up today, $AU22 including postage! I saw a GSX400 the right style but over $AU100 plus postage was a bit steep for me.
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Didn’t require a full rebuild but I cleaned the rear master cylinder, re-primed it, and replaced the rear bleeder valve on Charmayne’s 550 yesterday. Garage tests show it’s working now but as I had other commitments, a road test will be done at lunchtime today.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Carb cleaning began today. Got them removed from the bike and broken down ready to dip. Decided I needed a 2nd can of Berryman's chem dip to speed the process.
          Larry

'79 GS 1000E
          '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
          '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
          '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
          '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

My clutch cable snapped last year and I replaced it with an old one that I had on me. Finally got a new one to throw in since I was worried my backup was wearing out. I like to take the whole clutch cover off since it's a little easier to maneuver the cable out and had to drill out one of the bolts:

Was glad I did so that I caught this:

Have a new one on the way now but it's another sign to me that I should do the GS1000 engine swap....
            1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
            1977 GS550
            1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
              Not sure it quite counts as wrenching but I've been working on my other collection and just finished the mini replica of my Kat last night.

IMG_4194 by starpoint73, on Flickr
              Cool! Another model builder! I found a Tamiya Honda 750 F that I turned into "my" 900 F, and a Aoshima Kawasaki 750 that I made into a 1000 that I had. I have an Aoshima Vmax to build as well. I've looked high and low for something that I can make into my Suzuki, but the closest I found is a GS 750 police bike from Japan. It's an E model, but the tank is close in design, but no tail section (I guess I could make that,) and it's sort of expensive.

Yours look really nice!

Now I DID put new superbike bars on my VMax yesterday. It's been raining, so I can't tell if I like them. I do know the bike killed my lower back before.
              Last edited by Deuce; 06-26-2020, 09:58 AM.

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
              Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

Wow you did an awesome job with those! At first glance with the way you've taken the photos I thought they were both the real deal

There's a wide variety of different models out there and Gorminrider just put me on to the Aoshima brand which has a whole different range to Tamiya as well. I'd love to get some of the RGB500 racers but they're ridiculously expensive.

I am keeping an eye out for a GSX400 I can make to represent my GS450 though
                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Installed a Bassani on my 11 today...

Comment

Originally posted by Sixdog View Post
                    Installed a Bassani on my 11 today...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JzyTRQCZxa2eQcpV8
                    Spill it, Brother.
                    Where did you find it?
                    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I spent an hour making an extension for the mirrors on a Kawasaki Ninja. There are lots of stupid details on this bike compared to my 80s Suzukis...kickstand interferes with the gearshift for human feet in boots(I put a rubber pad in to lower it's up position)...flimsy fairings need removal to do anything.

But it hums along very well. And looks kinda cool. maybe I just haven't "Bonded" with it yet.
                      Last edited by Gorminrider; 07-01-2020, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Tearing into an 03 2.5 L Subi engine. Unbelievable amount of electrical plug-ins on the intake manifold.

Gonna pull the heads tomorrow to see all the places where the head gaskets failed. Hear using STI head gaskets is the way to go in solving a chronic issue Subaru never addressed.

I failed to line up the cams n crank before removing the belt, as the tensioner bolt was stripped in the case half, causing me to want to remove it, then realized my mistake.

Not sure how someone could tig weld the bolt hole then retap, but I'm sure it's possible, not sure if it's worth it.
                        GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Ugh, what didn't I wrench on this weekend.
                          I did a power lock actuator on the Honda Pilot yesterday. No big thing, just an inconvenience as the remote lock doesn't work correctly if one fails. It's the second one I've done on it, different door. Pretty simple, but fiddly, tight work.
                          Today, a caliper on the Jeep decidea to seize up. Luckily I'd didn't lock and we got home without damaging the rotor or pads. When we bought it had signs of the PO running the pads to bare metal on the side that sized so maybe that played a part. Both calipers changed, bled, etc. I showed my age when calling the auto supply, by not asking for front calipers, recalling the days when most everything had drum rears.

Then I went to the in laws to fix their A/C .
                          sigpic
                          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                          -Rusty old scooter.
                          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post

Then I went to the in laws to fix their A/C .
                            Any significance to the fact that you took care of your 2 projects first, then went to fix their A/C ?

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Work on the Mr. Turbo 1100E has finished and it's getting tuned (going on 3 weeks, grrr...) so I worked on the Willys wagon. I put in an amp a few years ago and it had a bad alternator whine through the speakers, so I put in a ground loop isolator, which did the trick. I tried the same thing about a year or so, and it didn't help, so maybe I just got a cheap one or something. Since the stereo is behind the steering wheel it's sort of like a ship in a bottle. But I endeavored to persevere and it's now right. Time to go for a cruise to Laguna Beach and not see any fireworks!

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                              '79 GS100E
                              Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                                Any significance to the fact that you took care of your 2 projects first, then went to fix their A/C ?
                                Ha, no.
                                Actually my sister in law made a post on FB this morning asking for hvac company recommendations hoping to leave me be with my own stuff, but my wife saw it so I called them. Senior citizens with an old system equals high potential for a ripoff.... The cooling was working, just not well.
                                The Jeep needed to be fixed asap so it took priority while the auto supply was open.
                                sigpic
                                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                                -Rusty old scooter.
                                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Working...
                                X