No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally started sorting and cleaning some LPs a friend gave me last year, (about 100 of them).
    Looks like about 1/3 are trashed, while another 1/3 should be good enough to play, and the final third look really nice.
    Some might even be worth some money, if I don't keep them.

First seven...90 something to go...
    Cleaning LPs by R John Thieda, on Flickr

Oh...And I replaced my hastily repaired rear directionals, on the TT600. Just snapped. Too much sun and saddlebag pressure, I guess.

Last edited by Baatfam; 07-05-2020, 03:08 PM.
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Installed the bigger belly on the V'ermonster...

It was NOT fun by the end of it...
      Jedz Moto
      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
      1988 Honda GL1500-6
      2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
      2020 Honda Monkey Z125
      2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
      Originally posted by Hayabuser
      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Well I'm on a Craigslist roll, no wrenching yet but just picked up a '73 CB750, complete, running, clean non-op title for a few hundred. It needs going through cosmetically, but it is complete except the 4 mufflers (of course) and the original bars. I think the paint, which is quite good, is original. The owner rebuilt the carbs and got it running, but lost interest and and had no time. He's a mobile MC mechanic part time and could answer every question I had.
        Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
        '79 GS100E
        Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Wow!
          www.sohc4.net is an excellent website if you run into touble.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Tried out my new bead breaker. It's wonderful. Also found on you tube one of the neatest pieces of engineering I've ever seen. I'm working on a Chevy square body. You gotta see this one.

Comment

Squarebody... cool..
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Yep already a member, thanks. I got it home and inventoried the parts, looks to be all there and organized/bagged, all in good working condition, but tired. I will powder coat the black bits and (gulp) think about chroming some stuff - the fenders are not too bad but the rims need to be redone or replaced.

I really want it to be flake sunrise orange. Turns out the color on it isn't stock at least for '73. I prep and paint well but never did anything like that, I wonder if I can take it on, step up my game and equipment. I had a '76 750 about 25 years ago (was it really that long ago? wow...) and it was a sweet runner, I had no money at the time and found it for $200, fixed it up and rode it tons, then sold for a tidy profit when I moved to Australia.

The cool thing is it looks like the rear tire size is the same as the Avon I put on my GS1100E's front - 110/90-18. I really messed up on that, and now I can use it for the Honda, and go to a 100/90 on the GS.

Now I will put the new ultrasonic cleaner to work and get my neighbor to give me some more free powder coating. The old CB's seem pretty pricey nowadays so I will get it to a nice condition. My son thinks it'll be a good learner bike. Hmmm.

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                Wow!
                www.sohc4.net is an excellent website if you run into touble.
                Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                '79 GS100E
                Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                  Finally started sorting and cleaning some LPs a friend gave me last year, (about 100 of them).
                  Looks like about 1/3 are trashed, while another 1/3 should be good enough to play, and the final third look really nice.
                  Some might even be worth some money, if I don't keep them.
                  What's in the magic cleaning solution?
                  97 R1100R
                  Previous
                  80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                    What's in the magic cleaning solution?
                    TergiKleen™ Tergitol-based Fluid Concentrate

Expensive, but you only mix a few drops with distilled water. 1.6oz goes a long way.

Scrub them down with that, put them on the vacuum cleaner, and rinse with distilled water.

Trust me though, if you go to the classic stereo forums, record cleaning fluids threads, are like oil threads...LOL...
                    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Ah LPs. I remember when I had a worn out one I had a second turntable and I'd transfer to a high quality cassette tape, and spritz the album with water while it played. Worked pretty well. I didn't want to use my good B&O for that duty. Then there were those 'pop and hiss' transient noise reducers. Good times....
                      Last edited by oldGSfan; 07-12-2020, 10:15 AM.
                      Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                      '79 GS100E
                      Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Not trying to turn this into a Honda thread but that is what I wrenched on today - I hoisted the CB out of the trailer in my garage (as it had no rear wheel mounted), and tore it down to basics. Frame came off the engine easy. I am really happy to find that the fundamentals are all good. I got the cylinder head and barrels off, and all it needs is a hone, rings, gaskets and a lap the valves, at least that's my first impression. Probably HD cylinder head studs as the stock ones stretch, and that's why they leak at base and top gasket - this one is no exception. It had 30K on the odometer and it seems a well-treated bike through the years. Cam, journals, etc are all looking good and in spec. Probably the easiest top end tear down I've ever done, everything just loosened up and came off with no problem.

It'll make a nice neighbor to the GS turbo, which I hope to get back this coming week. My good friend has a '74 CB750 and it's the same orange I want. He's going to give me his rear rim (mine is rusty), because he's going in a custom touring/bagger direction with it and got a 16" wheel. He's been at it 5 years and I think we're now at the same stage. Maybe I'll inspire him but he always has other messes to take care of.

Oh and the supposed MC mechanic I got it from was a hack, everything he touched was evident. The cam chain was completely slack, he had bought junk 'Duro' tires, put on ape-hangers etc. At least he stopped before he did more damage. Maybe he's a tire and oil changer but I would not let him near anything of mine.
                        Last edited by oldGSfan; 07-12-2020, 11:32 PM.
                        Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                        '79 GS100E
                        Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Some time ago I picked up a speedo knowing it wouldn't be long before I needed to replace mine. For whatever reason, maybe I assumed it didn't work because some parts were missing, I eventually buried it in a parts bin in the garage. Well, trying to figure out how fast I've been traveling using the tach was just dumb. Either this new (to me) speedo is way off or I've been hauling azz. Lucky I didn't get a ticket. While I thought I was cruising around 70 to 75mph, in reality I've been cruising at 80 to 85mph even higher to pass cars. oops!

Since I can't seem to post anything lately without a pic....or three....

The old one dropped some interesting stuff out of it.

I replaced the bulbs and it's crazy bright too. Now I need to do the tach too.

The trip counter is not functional which is a bummer. Also, the needle bounces a little, but I guess it's just an old GS thing.
                          Roger

Current rides
                          1983 GS 850G
                          2003 FJR 1300A
                          Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Worked on the mountain bike today. With all of the use its been getting lately stuff is coming loose. Rear bearings last week, headstock tonight. Pulled off the forks, cleaned and regreased the bearings. There's still a touch of play I need to tighten up, but the motorbike was calling....
                            sigpic
                            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                            -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                              Trust me though, if you go to the classic stereo forums, record cleaning fluids threads, are like oil threads...LOL...
                              Isn't that the truth. Then add to that the doesn't sound nostalgic enough without the dust crowd.
                              You've got me motivated now. I have a 1977 Sansui belt drive table and there might be a velvet brush still hanging around.
                              Still can't figure how I ended up with two copies each of Rumours, The River and Harvest?
                              97 R1100R
                              Previous
                              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

The 530 Oring chain I used from the parts bike I bought a few years ago is casting off rings....
                                least of my worries at the moment, and sort of a funny pic.
                                http://Casting off O rings by Glen Brenner, on Flickr
                                sigpic

Glen
                                -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Working...
                                X