• Show
Clear All

replaced starter motor in Tacoma
    got 23 yrs out of original so worth the pain-in-the-a$$ it was I guess
    youtube saves the day again
    1100 Katana / 1100 ES

pragmatic not dogmatic

Comment

No wrenching for me today as I have about 8" of snow to remove from the driveway and sidewalks. But as soon as I can get to it, this is what I have to wrench on next.

IMG_20230213_165537462 by Larry Alkire, on Flickr

IMG_20230213_165733019 by Larry Alkire, on Flickr

IMG_20230215_153222817 by Larry Alkire, on Flickr

IMG_20230215_153222817 by Larry Alkire, on Flickr

Fine German engineering my azz
      Larry

'79 GS 1000E
      '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
      '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
      '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
      '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Speaking of which. My 96 R1100R had a surging issue at low throttle. The cable goes to the left and a second runs over to the right which has the single TPS.
        The link cable stretches and you need to re-balance. There is a lot of advice about the balancing procedure involving temperatures, fans, carbtunes on and off idle.
        So I'm thinking that, if after all that measuring, all you do is take slack out of the link cable, why not do it anyway and see if things get better.
        Thirty seconds and half a turn of the adjuster later and the bike runs a dream
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
          Speaking of which. My 96 R1100R had a surging issue at low throttle. The cable goes to the left and a second runs over to the right which has the single TPS.
          The link cable stretches and you need to re-balance. There is a lot of advice about the balancing procedure involving temperatures, fans, carbtunes on and off idle.
          So I'm thinking that, if after all that measuring, all you do is take slack out of the link cable, why not do it anyway and see if things get better.
          Thirty seconds and half a turn of the adjuster later and the bike runs a dream
          Reminds me of the one-plug-lead-off at a time to balance the old boxers. However, those incautious enough to try it with electronic ignition fitted had to be very careful to carry a spare plug and ensure a good earth path on the dead plug side.
          I've no doubt the manual at the time was full of pointless steps, too.
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by ptegsotic View Post
            replaced starter motor in Tacoma
            got 23 yrs out of original so worth the pain-in-the-a$$ it was I guess
            youtube saves the day again
            It's a Tacoma. Did you figure out why it failed so soon? Lol.
            '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Started working on my 80 GS1000ST ( Australian Wes Cooley ). Going to clean it up and make some very mild modifications.
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.
              80 GS1000s Wes Cooley, 82 GS1000sz Katana, 83 KZ1000r Eddie Lawson, 79 Honda CBX, 83 Honda CB1100rc, 84 Honda VF1000f, 86 Honda VFR750, 93 Honda CBR900rr Urban Tiger, 86 Yamaha FZ750, 01 Honda CBR1100xx

Comment

Originally posted by Sixdog View Post
                Started working on my 80 GS1000ST ( Australian Wes Cooley ). Going to clean it up and make some very mild modifications.
                Nice to see you on this site, Mario.
                I am a long time member on the CB1100F site.
                Great looking ST.
                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Hey Steve!!! Thank You!!! I also have 4 CB1100r's I have to get out and sell..... I think I'm just nuts
                  80 GS1000s Wes Cooley, 82 GS1000sz Katana, 83 KZ1000r Eddie Lawson, 79 Honda CBX, 83 Honda CB1100rc, 84 Honda VF1000f, 86 Honda VFR750, 93 Honda CBR900rr Urban Tiger, 86 Yamaha FZ750, 01 Honda CBR1100xx

Comment

1981 gs650e
                    guy I bought it from had put on some cafe handlebars that I wasn't really into. back to stock now:

before photo

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Rear brake on GS felt funky and rear wheel was hard to turn.

Dismounted rear caliper and noticed that pistons were stuck.

Ordered rebuild set and now I'm waiting for it to complete the job. Front calipers seem to work OK.
                      1983 GS1000G | 1984 GSX1100EF | 1997 FLHR| -16 FLSTC 103 HO | -16 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT 1200

Comment

Just finishing up getting my basket 1979 GS750E all together and tweaked right. It came with an engine with rebuilt top end and rings, so naturally, had a look at the valve clearnces. The cam cover gasket had been glued on, both cover and barrel sides. Tapping razors in finally loosened the gasket, then much time clearing the gasket detritus from both surfaces.

While new gasket and half moons are coming, checked and set the shims to spec. One valve too tight, one too loose, six within spec, but mostly a bit on the tight side (0.04mm). Three were at 0.07mm, so left them alone. I had a good enough assortment of shims in my shop for most adjustments, but did have to visit my local Suzuki dealer to get one other shim, happily exchanged, with no cost to me.

I have already been accepted fo Collector Plate for this bike, so maybe in a month, when the winter sand gets swept from our roads, I get to ride. Already took it up our street to verify that everything works.

Comment

This is from few weeks ago:

My GSX1100EF had a bit of cracks in front end dust seals and the whole front end was rather soft and tired.

I was looking at springs and what else was needed when my buddy since early 70's called from local dealer informing that he has an alternative solution: a full NOS front end which has been sitting in their warehouse for the past 35 years or so.

Price difference was minor so decision was quite easy.

Oil was changed and the front end now feels like new. Probably need to get a new rear shock too to upgrade the rear.

1983 GS1000G | 1984 GSX1100EF | 1997 FLHR| -16 FLSTC 103 HO | -16 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT 1200

Comment

Wow! Interesting that there's NOS stuff like that still hanging around. I rebuilt mine with straight rate springs, cartridge emulators, and disabled the anti dives. Definitely an improvement.
                            sigpic
                            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                            -Rusty old scooter.
                            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                              Wow! Interesting that there's NOS stuff like that still hanging around. I rebuilt mine with straight rate springs, cartridge emulators, and disabled the anti dives. Definitely an improvement.

I did all of that as well as upgrading the brakes, much better. 79 GS1000S
                              1982 Katana 1100, 1997 HD Ultra Classic, 1996 Buell S2T, 2002 BMW K1200RS, 1969 Royal Enfield Interceptor Triton project
                              New project 1979 GS1000S
                              Recently sold 1979 Honda CBX1000

Comment

Decarboned the intake, replaced plugs and did an oil change on the Kia Soul today. Plugs were probably the originals.
                                "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                                1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                                X