No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guessing someone died on the bike this one came from. That's some major damage. The circuit board was damaged with several components tore from it. The main controller IC is cracked right down the middle. Still, a lot of good parts and that stepper controller is what I needed to repair the first cluster. Lucky, that side of the cluster was not damaged. The one needing repairs was made prior to them conformal coating the boards. Made it easy to swap out the controller. Appears to be 100% functional now. Plan to let it run for a few hours and then will have a look at the other cluster. cluster1.jpg

Comment

Changed the oil and filter in our 2011 Dodge Durango....7 quarts of synthetic oil, plus filter.
      Went OK, but my drain pans don't hold seven quarts of oil, so I had to use two and swap half way through. Messy.
      Also, changing the filter resulted in several cuts from the plastic under tray....Cool!!
      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Chasing down the overheating gremlin...
        Start from first principles and check ignition timing - I had a suspicion the bob weights were worn or the springs weak. Nope, nothing there - it advances properly at the right time and doesn't advance past the advance mark. However, I found the ignition was slightly advanced statically, so there's that - only about 2 or 3 degrees however.
        Back to the carburettion - I'd fitted a fairly rich needle, but it was obviously too rich going by the smells, never mind the AFR (that was ok, actually). Better to err on the side of a bit of richness rather than run it lean for too long, while avoiding the bogey of bore-wash at the same time.
        Fitted a leaner needle and it's happier, but won't know for sure until it's out on the road this week.
        Checked cylinder compressions - 145, 146, 148, 150psi. All good.
        The bugger never overheated prior to the top-end overhaul and there's only one thing majorly different still to change - the Delko exhaust. I have an almost new Motad chrome steel 4-1 that I was saving for a rainy day. Or I could put the old stainless Motad back on it, but the downpipes are paper-thin. Don't anyone believe anybody who tells you stainless doesn't rot away - it does, just takes 30 years to do it.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Finished up my cluster repairs. I left the oldest one stock. I forgot how inaccurate these are.

Comment

Have to Heli-Coil some of the valve cover screw holes on my '83 GS750SE. I think the threads were made of paper. New top cover gasket. I found a used top cover that I am going to have blasted, and have a crinkle finish blue powder coating put on. My son wants to do and pay for it. Similar to what Ferrari. I got the valve cover for $24 bucks!!

Comment

Not a bike, but still a special machine to me. I got my late fathers' 1976 Ariens Rocket 7 rototiller running again! It had only been sitting for about 25 years!

Had to replace the points, condenser and carb on it and clean the fuel tank.(Thankfully it is plastic.) After a few minor adjustments it's running as good as new after all these years.

I have lots of good memories of the times we spent together using this machine. Might do a full blown restoration on it this winter.
              Last edited by 1978GS750E; 07-03-2023, 07:48 PM.
              Ron
              When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
              1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
              1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
              1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
              1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Ah: Bought an 82 750E On Saturday so rode it 250KM yesterday then ran the valves today on it. This one only needs a chain and front sprocket so I'll do that and then just polish the crankcase covers and ride it the rest of the season. It's always nice to ride them more than wrench on them.
                1986 1150EF
                2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

Originally posted by Big Block View Post
                  Ah: Bought an 82 750E On Saturday so rode it 250KM yesterday then ran the valves today on it. This one only needs a chain and front sprocket so I'll do that and then just polish the crankcase covers and ride it the rest of the season. It's always nice to ride them more than wrench on them.
                  It is just toying with you. It will leave you stranded soon...
                  sigpic
                  09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                  1983 GS1100e
                  82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                  1980 GS1260
                  Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

thumbnail_IMG_1093.jpgFinished my restore on my Australian model Wes Cooley...
                    80 GS1000s Wes Cooley, 82 GS1000sz Katana, 83 KZ1000r Eddie Lawson, 79 Honda CBX, 83 Honda CB1100rc, 84 Honda VF1000f, 86 Honda VFR750, 93 Honda CBR900rr Urban Tiger, 86 Yamaha FZ750, 01 Honda CBR1100xx

Comment

Mounted new 16" Bridgestone Battleaxe on my '83 GS750ES.

Comment

More of a "what did your friend wrench on for you today" entry: bwringer kindly mounted up a fresh Shinko 009 Raven on the front wheel of my Bandit 1200, I brought some six packs (of diet Pepsi) and a new tire lube-brush as bribes/offerings. With that and some cosmetic repairs, my Bandit is back in commission after my little low-side down in the Smokeys last month. Thanks again Brian!

banditTire.jpg
                        Previous GS fleet: '78 1000C, '79 750E, '81 650G, '82 1100G, '81 1100E
                        Other rides: '77 XS500C, '78 XS1100E, '00 Voyager XII

Comment

Originally posted by Sixdog View Post
                          thumbnail_IMG_1093.jpgFinished my restore on my Australian model Wes Cooley...
                          I was hoping you'd show off that beauty over here, Mario
                          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Thank You Steve!
                            80 GS1000s Wes Cooley, 82 GS1000sz Katana, 83 KZ1000r Eddie Lawson, 79 Honda CBX, 83 Honda CB1100rc, 84 Honda VF1000f, 86 Honda VFR750, 93 Honda CBR900rr Urban Tiger, 86 Yamaha FZ750, 01 Honda CBR1100xx

Comment

Been chasing a low-rpm/pilot circuit stumble caused by a rich condition on my '78 XS1100. Complicated by the fact that I'm running a set of '80 Special carbs (on the right), with some minor differences from the original '78 carbs (on the left). The '78 carbs that are original to the bike came to me as a jumbled up pile of loose parts and I've rebuilt them with correct stock jets, new brass fuel tees, etc. And only then did I realize that the idle mixture screw orifices were all messed up and wallowed out on 3 of the four carbs (some previous owner likely broke the mixture screws off in them and then went about extracting the tips). I actually dropped some solder down into the enlarged holes and redrilled them with a .85mm micro drill bit (a bit larger than stock unfortunately), and ordered up some new OEM mixture screws and am now attempting to use the original '78 carbs on the bike. A bench leak test with fuel revealed some float valve leaking issues on the '78s so I'll be messing with them more tonight.

Over the past three years I've become rather intimately familiar with Mikuni BS CV carbs.... maybe a bit *TOO* familiar for my own liking!

XS1100_carbs.jpg
                              Previous GS fleet: '78 1000C, '79 750E, '81 650G, '82 1100G, '81 1100E
                              Other rides: '77 XS500C, '78 XS1100E, '00 Voyager XII

Comment

I've finally solved the "Flsher" problem on my bike. It was of my own making some many decades ago. Apparently in that fuse spot, the fuse has "Flasher" written on it. I put in a circuit breaker. When I tried to convert the bike to LEDs, I thought this was the flasher unit, as it clicked with the lights. Putting a 10 amp fuse in it's place solve the "No Lights" issue, and Lo and Behold, I found the actual Flasher Relay on the other side of the bike, which flashed along with the circuit breaker. I must have done this over 30 years ago. I just don't remember doing this, but since I'm the only one who works on the bike, I probably stuck that Fuse/Circuit breaker so in case I blew a few, it would reset, I just don't remember the circumstance.

Everything is working as it should, and I have mounted the LED lights on the front. I'll probably mount the two rear, but the Resistor to jump those lights cost around $16 bucks a piece, "Ouch!". That was one big circle I just went through, but at least I came away with a better understanding. .

Comment

Working...
                                X