what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicken Coop Gone, Shop Coming

While trying to recharge the Jeep's battery, I got some work done on the shed

Before (horses ate all the grass after this picture):

After:

And I did some bike work too by removing the old fuse blocks.:

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Fuel Tank

Along with a botched Kreem job by a previous owner, some rust was discovered in the fuel tank of my GT750. I'm now in the middle of a POR 15 process. What a PITA.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
        While trying to recharge the Jeep's battery, I got some work done on the shed:

Couldn't talk the landlord into the garage idea, eh?

Bummer.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Tried putting in some different cams last night to see if that would alleviate the ticking noise I've been having. Right when I was tightening down the last cam cover on the intake cam, the chain slipped. Dang. Now I have to take the covers back off and reposition. Guess I should have heeded the little warning in the Chilton's manual.
          Current Bikes:
          2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Got the front door installed, built a loft and a few quick shelves...

It is starting to even LOOK like a Suzuki Barn...

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
              Tried putting in some different cams last night to see if that would alleviate the ticking noise I've been having. Right when I was tightening down the last cam cover on the intake cam, the chain slipped. Dang. Now I have to take the covers back off and reposition. Guess I should have heeded the little warning in the Chilton's manual.
              Third time's a charm I guess. Bit of a pain, it was. Now on to valve adjustment.
              Current Bikes:

Comment

Got valves adjusted with new cams. Only needed to replace three shims. Nice to have a small stash of them. Buttoning up in a couple days.
                Current Bikes:

Comment

Some of the new residents moved in today...
                  (2 GS1000G's, an 850G and a 1000E along with boxes filled with rotors, wiring harnesses and master cylinders, etc.)

Motorcycle "Art"...

Daniel

Comment

Today, well I worked on the '79 GS1000E, added water to the battery, installed the battery box, snorkel, airbox, new to me luggage rack, stock grips, repaired the leaky petcock, (I rode the bike yesterday! then washed and painted some of the frame, and other small parts), installed numerous small parts I've been stockpiling over the course of months, picked up my newly painted fuel tank (I do have a spare), side covers, plastic seat underpan liner, and tail piece. Tomorrow I hope to get those installed. Quite frankly,
                    I tired of working on it, so I guess I'll save recovering the seat, installing the new (new to me that is) stock exhaust, guages, and repaint the headlight bucket, mounts, disk brakes calipers, and the remainder of the frame for some other time. I'd rather be riding, so I might take out the
                    GS1100E if weather permits, that is once I change the plugs.
                    sigpic
                    Steve
                    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Day two of trying to figure out a wiring issue. The tach and hi beam lights are 1/8 on when the dimmer switch is on low beam. They are both off completely when hi beam is on. Why why why! Also, I drained to oil out of a spare final drive so it will be easier to get the suspension bolt out. The bolt is needed to replace the stripped bolt currently being used my final drive.

Comment

Lapped my valves (first time I've done this) successfully.

Then I managed to bust one of my new valve stem seals while installing them... need to get another one now

And I'm so close to getting the valves installed!
                        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Only a minor bit of wrenching yesterday, got my gsx250e's new carbs their (hopefully) final cleanout & re-assembly. Took the carb boots off & confirmed the o-ring between them and the head was shot & had been replaced by silicone by previous owner (never noticed this until AFTER reading the gs hintpage thingo) and my bodge silicone job had failed totally.

As i don't have an o-ring available i opted to scrub both mating surfaces clean as a whistle & remove any detritus with a steel brush and then use 2mm gasket paper cut to fit & coated both sides with hylomar as the replacement gasket material. I had long since replaced the cheese-head bolts with HT steel hex-head bolts, didn't need to pick that up from the how-to guide.

Next up is refitment and see if we can bring this old girl back to life without the carb-based hell we were going through previously. If not then i might be looking for a cliff to roll her off.

Comment

Made some more progress today. It was a heatwave! It almost hit 40 degrees!!!
                            So, I heated up the paint gun and (after getting the ice out of the air line) shot the exterior with some tinted oil-base primer...

Starting to look more like a MC shop...

Daniel

Comment

Nice one, that cave is really looking nice, and looking at all those air boxes on the rack, I take it you are a pod man.
                              And I am soooo eyeing out one of those seats.........

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                                Nice one, that cave is really looking nice, and looking at all those air boxes on the rack, I take it you are a pod man.
                                And I am soooo eyeing out one of those seats.........
                                Why not? More power and easier to tune.

Daniel

Comment

Working...
                                X