what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just finished

Coil Modification on the 1980 GS1000. Killing time till my realgasket valve cover gasket gets here. Next is oil change.
    [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E
    Yamaharley Roadstar Silverado.2008sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
      Got the K1100's forks back together last night...there is a bit of trickyness compared to the GS forks...
      But back on the bike today...still need to go pick up some oil...

Looking good Bob! I see Sam stopped by to give you a helping hand.

I've got to do the forks on the 850 yet this winter, as by June of this year, it needs to be on the road and ready for a 4-day road trip to northern Wisconsin and the UP.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
        Looking good Bob! I see Sam stopped by to give you a helping hand.

I've got to do the forks on the 850 yet this winter, as by June of this year, it needs to be on the road and ready for a 4-day road trip to northern Wisconsin and the UP.
        Hey Dave, I should be down in your area sometime in the next month for my St. Cloud VA visit. I'll let you know so I can deliver those pipes to you.

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
          Hey Dave, I should be down in your area sometime in the next month for my St. Cloud VA visit. I'll let you know so I can deliver those pipes to you.
          Hey Dan.

Please do!!

I can't wait to get the old girl up and snorting. It will be when the temps are warmer however...the more pieces / parts I have lined, the better.

Comment

a 4-day road trip to northern Wisconsin and the UP.
            Whats going on up there ? My Aunt & Uncle live in Gwinn, MI. Leftovers from KI Sawyer AFB.
            82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
              Whats going on up there ? My Aunt & Uncle live in Gwinn, MI. Leftovers from KI Sawyer AFB.
              Arne and I are going to escape the riggors of life for a few days. He will be riding his Honda 750/1000 (long story on his bike, but it will be breathing through a new set of 1000 lungs, on a 750 bottom end with plenty of machine work and a frame off resto mod) and I thought it would be fun to stretch the 850's legs.

Hey Dan, I need the Vetter back and Mike, send me back the rack and backrest! JK

We're going to keep it to just us, as it will be our first ride in the past 2 1/2 years and our wives are nearly pushing us out the door.

Time flys...WAY too fast!!! Thank God for good women!

Comment

Starter motor tested and in, breather cover on, and hopefully the last order of shims on their way to finish valve adjustments.

Trap for the unwary... a 450 starter motor can't be installed with the cam chain tensioner in place...
                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Arne and I are going to escape the riggors of life for a few days. He will be riding his Honda 750/1000 (long story on his bike, but it will be breathing through a new set of 1000 lungs, on a 750 bottom end with plenty of machine work and a frame off resto mod) and I thought it would be fun to stretch the 850's legs.

Hey Dan, I need the Vetter back and Mike, send me back the rack and backrest! JK

We're going to keep it to just us, as it will be our first ride in the past 2 1/2 years and our wives are nearly pushing us out the door.

Time flys...WAY too fast!!! Thank God for good women!
                  Hey Dave, I can give you the damaged one, it's not too bad, just the aesthetics of it and the scratched up windshield bug me. I've even got an old rack and sissy bar of indeterminate origin I'll let you have. or would you like more than one? I've been trying to get rid of these orphan racks for a long time, I'm sure you have room in your garage......JK

Comment

Cleaned off the cam cover and the head surfaces where the gasket go in preperation for the shim from Rustybronco. I installed the 2 2.85s that the two exhaust valves needed. Then i just took a nappy on the couch.
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

No wrenching today, been cleaning snow off of my garage roof, then plowing it out of the driveway to reside in the large snowbanks I've created. Then of course, the last couple of hours I've had some lunch and spent way too much time on this computer......

Comment

Just found my dream bike today!

Well, this has turned into a real surreal day for me. Big ice storm in Dallas today, everything closed, got to stay home from work and goof off. My work blocked Craigslist about 2 years ago, so my searching for bikes has been limited to evenings and weekends, which is probably a blessing in disguise, because if I spent ANY more time on Craigslist, I would have to find a storage facility, I have too many bikes as it is! Anyway, I have been watching Craigslist really closely for the past week or so, sold another big Magna last week so had some extra cash burning a hole in my pocket, just waiting for another good deal. So I'm sitting here on the computer today and around noon, what pops up? A 1979 Honda CBX! I have been looking for one of these FOREVER, and this one looked decent and the price was reasonable, thank God the guy had his phone number in the ad and I was the first person to call him! We talked about the bike for about 20 minutes or so, it was owned by a gentlemen that was the original owner who bought he bike off the showroom floor in 1980 at the at of 18. It was his first and only street bike, he loved the bike and road it for about 20 years, before dying of cancer in 2002. The bike sat in his parents garage ever since, and his father passed away few years ago, leaving his 82 year old mother as the last person with an emotional attachment to the bike. Well, now she's in failing health and just decided it was time to let it go and allow somebody else enjoy to it. I got to meet her and she was still smart as a whip, but confined to a wheelchair and also diagnosed with liver cancer, so her days are numbered also. She told me several stories about her son and how much he loved that bike, treated it like a baby, always took good care of it, it was his pride and joy. She really hated to see it go, but wanted to have some control over who was going to get it, and she wanted to see it restored and enjoyed by somebody, not just turned for profit by one of these vulture bike shops around here. This bike is a KEEPER, I have been looking for a 79 CBX for YEARS, but they are few and far between in this price range, so the motorcycle Gods were watching down on me today, because now the bike is MINE! She had asked her neighbor to put the bike on Craigslist, and after he got off the phone with me, he said his phone was ringing off the hook for about 30 minutes, he called me after I was already out the door and asked me if I was 100% sure I wanted the bike, and I was like, dude, I'm already on the way, will be there in an hour! Well, the roads were SO BAD today, it took me 3 hours to get there, he was about 75 miles away! He told me that several people had offered him quite a bit more for it after we had made our deal, but he stuck to his word and waited for me to get there. I must have seen 15-20 cars crashed on the way over there, and 2 jack knifed 18 wheelers, the roads were AWFUL, I must have went 20-35 mph on the highway almost he entire way over there. Anyway, I get there, meet the old woman, talk for a spell, look over the bike, give him the money and he hands me the title. Then, just for some icing on the cake, he says, Oh, by the way. Here are some extra parts I found in the garage, I'm sure you can use them. He hands me two old Honda boxes, with get this. A BRAND NEW NOS Speedo and a BRAND NEW NOS tachometer! I almost shiite my drawers! I haven't been following CBX prices on eBay much lately, but it's safe to say he just handed me a thousand dollars worth of parts! I'm going to go back and pick up the bike on Saturday, it's not supposed to thaw out until then. This has been just an unreal day for me, perfect timing, just dumb luck really, right place at the right time, and now I'm the proud owner of my ultimate dream bike, a 1979 Honda CBX! WOO HOO! LIFE IS GOOD! Here's the first round of pics, this puppy will probably take a few months to restore, but I'm going to bring her back to her original glory and this one will be in my collection until the day I die, gauranteed!

Last edited by 83GS1100E_Tornado; 02-01-2011, 08:17 PM.
                        Current stable:

85 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
                        87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
                        99 Kawasaki ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson replica
                        15 Yamaha VMAX - The Maroon Monsoon

Comment

AWESOME!!!!!

Sometimes, things just work out. The bike is beautiful, no doubt but I always have to ask: What is it about the 1979 CBX OTHER THAN sheer good looks and speed?

Comment

The real reason to own one is the music from the pipes.
                            Congrats, Tornado. Careful, they are addictive.
                            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I imagine, VERY smooth. Are there six carbies to sync?

Comment

I saw that thing on there it was gone before I had a chance to call....so how much?

Comment

Working...
                                X