No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Took my stock shock off. Why does every job on this bike end up with me cursing the airbox? I swear servicing EVERY part on this bike starts with "remove airbox". Didn't get the new one on yet because I somehow lost one of the shock spacers in my garage.

Comment

Showed the Tacoma some love today after a brief ride on the Harley.

Oil change and new brake pads.
      New belts and plugs are in the near future.
      sigpic

82 GS850
      78 GS1000
      04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
      .................________-|___\____
      ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Actually worked on the CBX a little bit on Sunday, enough to verify the motor sounded OK and I can now start the exhaust/engine removal to get the carbs out and have them rebuilt. I wish I were kidding about that statement, but carb removal on a CBX is not for the faint of heart, in the shop manual, it's called the "engine tilt" procedure. You are basically one bolt away from removing the entire engine! I'm going to have at it soon, but she's cleaning up pretty nice. I have my NOS gauges on eBay, hope that money will get me close to a new body set! Here are some more pics from yesterday, enjoy!

http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o236/83GS1100E_Tornado/CBX_020601/?albumview=slideshow
        Current stable:

85 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
        87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
        99 Kawasaki ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson replica
        15 Yamaha VMAX - The Maroon Monsoon

Comment

started on my LED taillight so far i got only blinkers done still waiting to get my 5mm LED's in the mail for the light and brake.

Last edited by Guest; 02-07-2011, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dodik View Post
            started on my LED taillight so far i got only blinkers done still waiting to get my 5mm LED's in the mail for the light and brake.
            Kit, or self-designed?
            sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

self-designed its not that difficult but does take lots of patience

Comment

The '79s are notorious for the tail piece cracking. I see from your pics you have a full size rubber bumperette. A simple solution to prevent undue pressure on the tailpiece is to remove a third to a half of the bumperette with a razor knife.
                Good luck on the engine tilting. Practice makes perfect and i do not have enough practice.

Originally posted by 83GS1100E_Tornado View Post
                Actually worked on the CBX a little bit on Sunday, enough to verify the motor sounded OK and I can now start the exhaust/engine removal to get the carbs out and have them rebuilt. I wish I were kidding about that statement, but carb removal on a CBX is not for the faint of heart, in the shop manual, it's called the "engine tilt" procedure. You are basically one bolt away from removing the entire engine! I'm going to have at it soon, but she's cleaning up pretty nice. I have my NOS gauges on eBay, hope that money will get me close to a new body set! Here are some more pics from yesterday, enjoy!

http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o236/83GS1100E_Tornado/CBX_020601/?albumview=slideshow
                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I wrenched (in a fashion) on my '94 Chev K2500 6.5L Turbo Diesel extended cab rust bucket of a truck. It stopped running Thursday night with all the symptoms of a toasted electronic fuel injection pump. I even bought a new lift pump (in line fuel pump in the frame rail) for it, for the tune of $85.00. I spent all day troubleshooting (I really didn't want to pull the intake manifold and all related parts to pull and replace the $1200.00 injection pump), it cranked like the timing was off (injection pump), it would fire up, run for a second or two then die........I broke out my service manuals, beeped out the DTCs (error codes), there were 7 of them, all pointing at my electronic throttle and my injection pump. Well, that didn't improve my day but I decided to clear the codes and see what would happen. It started right up and is running like a champ now. The big road test will be tomorrow, but I'll have my son or my brother-in-law driving the Suburban as a chase vehicle in case it breaks down and needs to be towed again.

Comment

Second coat of Black Velvet on my oil filter cover, and this paint really likes to show me how bad my prep work is Peeling all over the shop in the corners where it's really really hard to sand.

Discovered my right spark plug cap needs some work or replacement. Testing shows no spark on the left one, but not sure if that's a fault or my testing.

Got all my engine mounts torqued up properly.

Started on carb assembly.
                    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I went to work on one of my Guest bikes, a 1982 Yamaha 650 Seca. It had not been run since my brothers and I toured the Oregon and Northern California coasts in 2008. First I thought it was the solenoid, but it was the switch. Last summer I bought a replacement switch pod off E-Bay, which proved to be much more corroded than mine. In December a new replacement was ordered. In my experience, the Hitachi carbs are more prone to clogging from sitting than any others. The local tire store here had a battery for $43.00. I'm shocked that it runs perfectly now.

I also worked on installing a used fork brace on the 1000G here in Tillamook. It interferes with the front fender, so I went to work on slotting the holes in the fender to lower it. I had forgotten how heavy that fender is. The way I ride, I really don't need the fork brace, but it adds to the coolness... This 1000G is now free of any oil leaks as well.

Well, the fork brace was completed this morning. I had to lower the fron fender quite a bit for clearance. A number of the fasteners wee too long, and couldn't tighten up all the way, so thats fixed. The carbs are now drained on the bikes I used, batteries charged, and covers on. I'll be flying to Anchorage tonight, so no more bikes for a while.
                      Last edited by 850 Combat; 02-13-2011, 07:53 PM.
                      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

My recent project progress as follows.
                        I refurbished my spare 1150 forks, cutting a couple of inches off the springs and putting solid spacers and new seals in then fitted them to my not so tidy more recently acquired fully faired 1150 EF after having removed all the fairings. I also swapped out the not so flash calipers and then went about cutting the instrument brackets (bits that stick out the sides) and installing them, a new headlight, stainless braided lines, front indicators and a set of bars off the naked version of the EF.

Comment

It was a beautiful day today, 45 deg., the sun was shining, but my driveway is one large sheet of slick ice, my bike is trapped in my shop because my plow is sitting in front of the garage door where I have to get it out of, and the truck the plow goes on is in the attached garage where I've been wrenching on it and looking longingly out the window at the bright warm sun. The temps are predicted to plummet back down to the zero mark by tommorrow night, and snow is supposed to be coming with it. Here are the picts of the truck all torn apart, and I won't be able to get it completely together until next Wednesday due to waiting on the parts deliveries.

I'll have it all cleaned up and ready to re-install anyway when all the parts arrive.

Comment

Got the bike put back together after powder coating swingarm, brakes, wheels, sidecovers and fired it up today Coated the headers and midpipe but the kerker can was not on. Man i LOVE the sound of an open pipe!

All I have left is to paint my new front fender and coat the Kerker can and it is ready to go!

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstang View Post
                              Got the bike put back together after powder coating swingarm, brakes, wheels, sidecovers and fired it up today Coated the headers and midpipe but the kerker can was not on. Man i LOVE the sound of an open pipe!

All I have left is to paint my new front fender and coat the Kerker can and it is ready to go!

Someone HAS to say it...

Patiently, waiting...

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                                Someone HAS to say it...

Patiently, waiting...

Daniel

Better you than me!

...and for the pictures:

I hope to complete the fender well by the end of the week.

Dan: I think I need to talk you into a Ford!
                                Last edited by Dave8338; 02-17-2011, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X