what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
    So much for having my truck running this week or next. The injection pump they sent me was no good! Tested everything yesterday, came back to the injection pump, called them up, I can return it for a new one, but they won't just send me another one with a box to send the bad one back in first. Jerks! It'll end up being 2 more weeks without my truck. I will be posting negative reviews for them on EBay. The company name is BuyAutoParts.com or Meridian Auto Parts in San Diego, CA. Pulling it apart again this morning to get the pump on the UPS truck by 2:30.
    That just plain sucks AZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!

Comment

ARRRRRGGGHH!

This is killing me! I got my rear cowl(?) and side covers recleared. My tank is next! Got it wetsanded and ready for clear. Now all i got left is my front fender. Went by the paint place and they of course can not match the Pure pearl red, so I set on the front porch of the paint shop with my freshly recleared (over stock paintjob) side panel and a deck of paint chips.....

Think i found one that is very close, especially when I put some red pearl in the mid coat... $60 for a pint of red This is killing me!

Now I have to wait because I pulled a paying job into the shop, doing a Mustang II front suspension into a 66 fairlane convertible, and then some minor paint on it!

I have the wetsanded parts on my kitchen table for motivation to get my shop cleared back out so I can finish the GS. SOOO CLOSE!

Ken

Comment

The wind died down for a little while this afternoon so I thought I might try to do some work. So I go to put my painted valve cover on and realize the bolts look crappy so I didn't bolt it on yet. Then I tried to put the air box on and didn't like how it was going back together because the bracket that holds it to the bike frame was bent. Tried to fix it but ended up breaking it off. Figured I'd JB Weld a washer to what was left of it and that won't work because it's still too cold! Oh well, next week maybe.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstang View Post
          ARRRRRGGGHH!

This is killing me! I got my rear cowl(?) and side covers recleared. My tank is next! Got it wetsanded and ready for clear. Now all i got left is my front fender. Went by the paint place and they of course can not match the Pure pearl red, so I set on the front porch of the paint shop with my freshly recleared (over stock paintjob) side panel and a deck of paint chips.....

Think i found one that is very close, especially when I put some red pearl in the mid coat... $60 for a pint of red This is killing me!

Now I have to wait because I pulled a paying job into the shop, doing a Mustang II front suspension into a 66 fairlane convertible, and then some minor paint on it!

I have the wetsanded parts on my kitchen table for motivation to get my shop cleared back out so I can finish the GS. SOOO CLOSE!

Ken
          It sounds like it is going to be a beauty.
          Cannot wait to see the finished product.

Daniel

Comment

For about three weeks I've been trying to remove the rear tire from the wheel. After getting the front tire off, I thought that the rear would go smoother.NO

None of the techniques that succeeded in front, worked in back. Monster C clamp didn't work. Big wood clamp didn't work. Both just slid down the SW. In frustration, I used a utility knife to cut off the tread. In the end, I don't know it that helped or hurt.

I can try to describe what I did, but until I get pictures up, it won't make any sense. Just say that I've discovered about ten ways that don't work. Eventually, I was able to get the tire bead away from the wheel just enough to insert a shim. At first I lubricate it with 10% Murphy's Oil Soap. The I used WD40. Finally, I used PB Blaster. Much better! (For removal only.)

Next: Spend at least an hour cleaning the wheel. Change valve stem. Balance wheel without tire. Mount tire to true heavy spot on wheel. Rebalance.

sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
              For about three weeks I've been trying to remove the rear tire from the wheel. After getting the front tire off, I thought that the rear would go smoother.NO

None of the techniques that succeeded in front, worked in back. Monster C clamp didn't work. Big wood clamp didn't work. Both just slid down the SW. In frustration, I used a utility knife to cut off the tread. In the end, I don't know it that helped or hurt.

I can try to describe what I did, but until I get pictures up, it won't make any sense. Just say that I've discovered about ten ways that don't work. Eventually, I was able to get the tire bead away from the wheel just enough to insert a shim. At first I lubricate it with 10% Murphy's Oil Soap. The I used WD40. Finally, I used PB Blaster. Much better! (For removal only.)

Next: Spend at least an hour cleaning the wheel. Change valve stem. Balance wheel without tire. Mount tire to true heavy spot on wheel. Rebalance.

Too cheap to make or buy one of these?

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post

You should consider trying the search feature here...you would have found this. Only failed one time. On that one we cut the the tire up with a utility knife and used a dremmel cut off wheel to sever the bead.

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  You should consider trying the search feature here...you would have found this. Only failed one time. On that one we cut the the tire up with a utility knife and used a dremmel cut off wheel to sever the bead.

I searched for a couple of hours and didn't come across it. I've saved the photo, for next time. Thanks.
                  sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger View Post
                    Too cheap to make or buy one of these?

Doesn't help a bit until the bead breaks loose from the wheel.

Still, it looks interesting.
                    sigpic[Tom]

Comment

The inside of the wheel is covered in goo - brown and black goo. So are the sealing surfaces. Water doesn't touch this, and it clogs up a Scotch-Brite pad. Could it be from spraying Fix-A-Flat in some previous tire? Tomorrow, after the water dries, I'll try some sort of hydrocarbon solvent, such as xylene. And I'll take a couple of pictures.
                      sigpic[Tom]

Comment

Got my rear sets in last week. Started working on adapter plates today. So far this is what I have:

Comment

I paid an extra deposit to have my replacement injection pump (for the bad one I was sent) for my truck overnighted to me, got it yesterday, installed it, finished up today, and the truck is running now. I haven't left feedback on e-bay for these guys yet, and I don't intend to until I see how quickly they credit the $400.00 back to my account. At least i'm done with that now and can go on to other things.

Comment

Originally posted by DrImodium View Post
                            Got my rear sets in last week. Started working on adapter plates today. So far this is what I have:

Great looking Cafe' there Doc!
                            Oh, and Hey...I found your ratchet & socket!

Comment

Originally posted by DrImodium View Post

That looks hot! That stock exhaust has got to go, though.
                              I'll trade you for mine!

Comment

Muckedabout with the GSX250 today and i believe i've fixed the headache of a problem, all it turned out to be was the vacuum hose going to the fuel tap *sigh*, it could have been a 5 minute fix. I replaced the inlet manifold o-rings while i was at it. While i was doing a once-over and had taken the carbs & boots off i replaced the o-rings between the boots and the head.

Looking forward to giving it a test run tomorrow morning on the way to work as 20+ minutes of running tonight showed it's working pretty well....

Comment

Working...
                                X