No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had a lateral day today. I (almost) successfully implemented a generic multi-connection relay system. When complete, I will be able to connect to it for grip heaters, ignition, headlight, horn, etc. Up to 30A, of course, the limit of the relay.
    I installed the new front airbox, and the rubber tubes are so soft it was easy to install the carbs. Unfortunately, I forgot to install the springs back in the CV carbs when I put the newly painted tops on, so it is all coming back off tomorrow. And I found out the fuse box only puts out 10V (now up to 11V) because the ignition switch is electrically challenged. The relay system I implemented won't work until it can see 12V through the switch.
    Working on cleaning the switch per bwringer's instructions; I have gained a volt, hoping to make another volt soon.
    I guess today I was the bug, I hope to be the windshield tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by mottyl View Post
      Reinstalled the exhausts on the RZ350 I picked up a month ago. I know it's not a Suzuki.

Today's couple of hours will be trying to find out why it charges at 17 volts.

Chris

The rectifier is burned out.

Earl
      Last edited by earlfor; 03-30-2010, 11:12 PM.
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
        went up to rustybroncos and got schooled on charging system checking...still a bit confused but i kinda get the idea..
        You're still confused after all that?
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

just the stator..you checked it not running and then running..i really did pay attention Dale..really!! Electrical just sucks for me to understand..I will have to get a cheat sheet made up or something. i am trying to picture in my mind which wires you used when it wasnt running and when it was.. remember when you wrapped the wires around the probes and told me to start it?? Anyways i think i kinda got it...anyways i am toast and going to bed..I am gonna drive it around the area a bit tomorrow and see if the 1 piece unit you put in keeps the battery up and if James has a meter i will check it again at the batt to see what his says..
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Kind of a low excitement evening for me. The wife and I worked out the April budget, then I finally put the finishing touches on the carbs I rebuilt. I had been waiting on new pilot jet plugs. I got those installed, corrected the 3 floats that were set to the wrong step, and set the idle mix screws to 3 turns out. After that, I did a Steve's™ Optical bench sync. They're ready to bolt on and fire up, once i get the electrics put back together.
            Dogma
            --
            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Took the clutch plates out as I was starting to get some slippage, esp when downshifting in conjunction with a good dose of throttle....original drive plates were still well within spec, so I scuffed up the steels a little, and put in new OEM springs....took it for a quick spin, and it seems pretty good. Must have been slipping imperceptibly even at lower rpm, as it feels noticeably more responsive now.
              Tony.
              '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
              Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

worked on the GS today. at some point over the winter, the horn hot wire got chewed on. grounded out on the frame. figured out why the battery doesn't want to hold a charge, though!

Comment

Didn't wrench today, but I just ordered a new o-ring chain, front tire, bar-end mirrors, and a speedo drive. I'll be wrenching this time next week!

Comment

Threw on some Accel coils today and it's a whole new animal. stock coils were fine, but the wires were bad....wanted the option of being able to easily change the wires down the road.

Comment

The wires on the OEM coils are a simple change.
                      Cheap too!
                      sigpic

82 GS850
                      78 GS1000
                      04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                      .................________-|___\____
                      ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Put on my brandy new carb boot clamps and new clutch cable. Then took it on its maiden voyage. I love this bike

Comment

Well I thing I'm done wrenching, here are the latest pictures. Effie is sporting her new V&H exhaust, K&N pods, Dyno jets, Maier GP fairing.

So far she running great and is a blast to ride.

I want to thank Shafty82 for his help dialing the carbs.
                          sigpic

1979 GS1000E
                          1982 GS1100GL
                          2008 Bandit1250S

http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll86/jsrose-gs/

Comment

Well last night i got home and got off the bike and found the head gaskets on my 78 750E were seeping oil..Got the torque specs from Rustybronco and retorqued them... three outer ones were loose..will see if that fixes the problem.. Did ride it at highway speed for 18 miles afterwrads and didnt see anything when i got back..will jsu ride and keep and eye on it for a bit till i am satisfied it will be fine.
                            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I need to do some electrical work to the gs: re-locate the voltage r/r, replace the left control and the rr signal. my big project is in the bullet. i'm down to the crankcase there. i'm putting in better roller bearings, a hand-milled crank with a longer stroke, an upsized allow barrel and piston. this takes her from 500 cc to 612cc. Eventually a new head and some other cool things. The plan is to go from about 17 hp at the back tire to about 36. She'll be a surprising little beast with that!

Comment

Oh and i forgot to add that yesterday i took the rims off my 78 750 and polished all the aluminum surfaces and repainted the insides of the spokes black using YHT epoxy gloss black..really added some bling to the look!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X