No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I finished stripping and cleaning my carbs and adjusted my valve clearances.

Before hand the bike had been sitting for years, the carbs leaked badly and it idled very rough.

After putting everything back together, i charged my battery overnight and tried the starter this morning. It fired up first hit of the button and idled smoothly straight away!

I'm stoked

Comment

If you cruze e-bay and craigs list your going to buy something. Call me lazy, but I found a complete set of body work for my 650, with really decent factory paint for less than I think I could have bought automotive paint. My origonal tank is badly spider cracked and the clear coat and decal on the other parts were pretty bad. Waiting for gasgets for the tank and I'll put it on. New cowl and side covers in place.

sigpic
      83 GS1100g
      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

I diagnosed an intermittent electrical problem on a 2007 Polaris Ranger 500 4x4, isolated to faulty ign switch after installing 16oz weight to keyring and performing test on switch assembly.

then helped a customer find a replacement trigger guard for a H&R topper 88 12 guage.

Then a 2002 Yamaha YFM350X Warrior with a no spark issue along with a customer created issue. Found customer installed a used CDI box with the factory yellow spacer installed as well as having one in the connector block itself preventing proper connection. After corrected pursued no spark issue and isolated pulse coil as having an open condition. Replaced stator/pulsar assembly, refilled oil, verified spark, fueled unit, rebuilt faulty fuel cock, reassembled unit.

Then went home early and read American Rifleman and had a cheeseburger.

Comment

Well done, Charlie...WELL DONE!

Flea Bay has my daily interest. Waiting aon a complete front brake set up for the 850. Been waiting too long, at this point. Seller already has my money.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
            If you cruze e-bay and craigs list your going to buy something. Call me lazy, but I found a complete set of body work for my 650, with really decent factory paint for less than I think I could have bought automotive paint. My origonal tank is badly spider cracked and the clear coat and decal on the other parts were pretty bad. Waiting for gasgets for the tank and I'll put it on. New cowl and side covers in place.

She'll be brand new!!!

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post

Sweet! Now you can repaint the others and sell 'em.
              Current Bikes:
              2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Finished my cardboard exhaust mock up tonight, missing a "muffler" because I don't know what shape I want yet.

It's really just a "concept", so don't worry about the fact that it doesn't appear to flow very well, it's just so I can convey what I want to the exhaust builder...

1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Yesterday I spread 150lbs of ice melt on my driveway, bought 200 more lbs at Fleet Farm last night for $28. Going to spread that today. I plowed some of the muck off yesterday, I just checked, there's a lot more soft ploweable muck out there now, so, I'll plow more off today before spreading more ice melt. I might be out on the bike by next week!!!

Comment

I took off the the valve cover to finally get the valve adjustment looked at for the first time since I got the bike.
                    Snapped a bolt. Soaked the leftovers in wd40 and came back later. Filed sides and vicegripped. Broke to the base. Cut a groove and impact drived it. No luck. Finally started drilling and broke an extractor bit in it. Now I started swearing. Luckily I managed to drill around it and got the tip out, and continued to enlargen the hole out to the threads. Tomorrow I'll buy a thread tap, and that adventure should be over.

On to the valve clearances: All of them had 0 clearance, or less than 0,05mm that is. But the buckets can all be turned by hand. I ordered some gaskets and a tool for removing shims. To make myself feel better I also ordered the carbtune pro. That should make the next couple times in the garage more fun.

Comment

Yaaay! A friend of mine who does the county plowing was clearing the storm drains with the big front end loader and helped me out by popping the ice off of my driveway nearly up to my garage! If I'm careful, I could have my bike out tommorrow! Change oil, ride it some, then do the valve shims. I know, I should do the shims first, but, the first ride of the season beckons........

Comment

Does sorting tools count as wrenching? wrenches were sorted.. My wife bought me a bottom cabinet for my birthday and I managed to exchange my 16year old top box on warranty. As a further gift she lets me keep them in the apartment.

Comment

More Scort:

The HOLE IS GONE!!

Still need to get the under coating applied and detail the struts, but I can see the end of the tunnel from here.
                          Last edited by Dave8338; 03-10-2011, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Just finished fitting rebuilt brakes and a new AGM battery. Bike starts right up after the winter hiatus now all I need is the stainless lines to get here .
                            Got to love waiting on parts!

Pic of self made brake reaivoire

Comment

Originally posted by Detroit Diesel Man View Post
                              .cant wait to ride!
                              Great to see ya posting DDM . Lets cross paths this summer.
                              82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

nothing....double whammy day..allergies on over drive and battling pink eye..kinda not motivated to even move.
                                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                                X