what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mindless View Post
    You need to work on it more. I want to see it finished!
    Agreed, been busy doing restores for others...

Comment

Rebuilding brakes on frt. 0f my 850 and have the tire off to fix a leak. So decided to strip and polish the forks while everything is off. Last time I will do it with the forks on the bike! Used a drill and buffing pads and compound after stripping clear coat with paint stripper. Took for ever, would have been easier to do it on my grinder. Live and learn sometimes trying to lessen work can only increase it. They do look so much better. Still have to do the the #1 polish compound and then put on some wax. terrylee

Comment

Again all day wrenching on a Honda..

Comment

Finally, got around to swapping the main jets on my 79 gs550l. when i bought the bike a year ago, a buddy went and rebuilt the carbs for me as for a favor since it was my first bike and i rescued it from the back corner of a mutual friends garage. What i didn't know is that getting rid of the stock airbox, adding pod filters and drilling out the baffels in the exhaust was a BAD idea. stock jets were 80's, he put in 90's and it would fall on its face at 5500 rpm. this morning i put in 110's and it was like riding a whole different bike! shortly after he got done with it he finished mechanical engineering school at OSU and took a job and moved, leavin me to sort out the problems. I have been reading up for weeks on the forums about these issues, so thanks to all who have posted about this subject. all i have to say is what a rush having access to the high rpm power band was! too bad its going to rain here tomorrow...........next up, find someone to sync them properly for me>>>

Comment

Replacing clutch springs.

And fork seals.

Comment

OK front rotor off again and back to work Didn't get it quite flat enough the first time ,going to give it to the guy who dose large scale lathe work in the shop, too tricky for me (don't do that sort of thing often enough to do it well ).

Comment

Put my new rear tire on today, cleaned things up, and did drivetrain inspections. Ready to roll tonight.

Comment

Did all the little niggly plumbing over the weekend installed rear rotor, chain, rebuilt carbs, electrical pan, and some other small stuff getting close to start up

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post

Nice lookin ride!

Comment

Version 1 of my ignitor replacement is getting close to testing.

1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

The polishing of a cam cover, breather cap, and end caps off of an 850G was just finished. Now it's time to work on my own stuff and get the carbs off of the GT380 before I take a ride for lunch.

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post

White spokes and blue rims, might look good on that new bike.

Daniel

Comment

The other job that I was going to be doing today fell through, so, I'm doing the valve shims on my bike today. I'll have to hold off on the fairing I got from from Dave8338 for now though, I won't have enough time to set it up properly.

Comment

Spent Sunday finishing cleaning up the cylinders and head on the 850.....finally acquired a ball hone, and put that to good use, achieved pretty good cross-hatching, IMHO. Yes, proper cutting oil was used, followed by a good cleanup with soap and warm water.
                              Changed the seals on the tach drive.
                              Removed the old rings from the pistons and cleaned up the slots of carbon (not very much nested in there). Then I got stumped.....the oil spacer seemed to be too long for the piston circumference, ends of the spacer actually butted together. Then I started reading about ring end gaps, and couldn't think straight about it, so I left it for the day. Maybe a bit of learned input would be appreciated at this point.
                              I did not remove the pistons from the wrist pins on the bike, so maybe I'm fighting an awkward working position, as well.

Comment

I made myself some bushings for my MDI shocks out of a plastic called Delrin, on the lathe at work.

The bushings that came with them are crap.

Comment

Working...
                                X