No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been doing a lot of wrenching lately - on my 91 Nissan Sentra SE-R. But it's in pretty good shape right now, so I turned my attention to the GS today (day off work and all). Found the reason my clutch won't disengage - the throwout bearing disintegrated. So now I'm looking for replacement parts. Bike's going nowhere till I get them.

Fortunately, once I get them, it's an easy install, and I should be on the road in no time.

Comment

Took my windshield off yesterday, at my girlfriends objection. Much different experience riding than I had expected.

Comment

Originally posted by jonshrader View Post
        Took my windshield off yesterday, at my girlfriends objection. Much different experience riding than I had expected.
        I think I'm going to put one back on. The bugs down here in the south are just about full blast and they seem big as crap this year. I had a memphis shade on before, malibu something, i think. it fit the bike fairly well.

Comment

I think the title of this thread should be "what did you wrench on THIS WEEK" because it takes me a week to do what should be done "today" LOL...

Forks are oiled and sealed, ready yo go.

Stem bairings are in and tripple mounted.

Frame is done. Sidestand, centerstand and swingarm mounted.

Carbs are done, wheels are painted and polished, little titty bit parts are about 2/3rds done. Harness is cleaned, ect ect..
          The exhaust bolt has been repaired but still have the intake(one) to go. Started cleaning and removing uglyness from the engine getting ready for paint.

Still collecting some parts as I go but no real big issues.
          Should be a good looking bike!

I hope it runs!!
          sigpic

82 GS850
          78 GS1000
          04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
          .................________-|___\____
          ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Today was stator change day for me, all done and charging

But of course it's raining all day

Comment

Took the top box off the GS as a precautionary measure. My wife is taking her MSF course this weekend and will be practicing on the eight-fiddy, with the box removed I'll only have to worry about potential turn signal damage if she tips over.

Comment

Just finished up degunking all the calipers and masters. Lots of brake cleaner, wire brush, and even scraping with the end of a wooden dowel. Getting ready to order the next round of parts.
                Dogma
                --
                O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                '80 GS850 GLT
                '80 GS1000 GT
                '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Got some mirrors to replace the OCC wannabe maltese cross mirrors that came on the bike, but should have paid better attention.
                  Ones I bought are made for Yamaha bikes, left hand thread. Will have to return them and get a different set.
                  Also took the majority of the (not) kewl bandana wearing skulls off so it'd look cleaner and less trashy.

Comment

todays adventure included sanding all the scratches out of the set of side covers for my 77 750 that i had bought from a member and repainting them. Also stripped down the gas cap cover for the 78 750 and repainted that as well. Then was called out on a rescue mission for a buddy that had just T Boned a car with his Chevy pickup.. lady even admitted to the cops that she never looked to her left and when she did there was James in her front fender!! Pried open the smashed in hood with a pipe wrench to inventory the damage. Hes ok at this point but i suspect hes gonna be feeling it in the morning!!!
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I wrenched on my dryer today. Whirlpool electric Dry-Miser. Broken belt. I coulda bought the replacement belt in a town 15 miles away for $40 (tomorrow), or ordered it on ebay (and waited for shipping) for $15 total.

I decided to wait on it.
                      "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

Took back Yamaha type mirrors and traded for Bikemaster 'Superbike GX' mirrors, as those were the only other style the dealership had a pair of.
                        Look pretty good on the GS, even if it's an L model.
                        Unfortunately, discovered the inboard cylinder on the right hand side (is that #2 or #3?) isn't firing, at least not at low throttle openings.(Does heat up during hard pulls) so it looks like i have some work to do

Comment

My Baz has/had a pretty sounding pipe that gets in the way of corners and the oil filter. I wasn't impressed when I had to take the whole exhaust system off to do a oil and filter change.

So I took advantage of a cheap old 4 to 1 off a GS850 and decided that today was the day to see if it fit.

Had to spread 1 and 4 by 10mm but other than that she just fell in to place so snugly that it locked in without any other supports. Just hangs there nicely.

Comment

Wiring

Just finished the coil relay mod and installing a Dyna S electronic ignition on my 79 GS1000. Can't wait to clean her up and ride tomorrow.

Comment

Replaced phillips head screws on the tops and bottoms of carbs with some very nice stainless socket head ones. Waiting on my airbox boots to show up.
                              Current Bikes:
                              2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Popped in new OEM clutch springs and did a oil/filter change.

Comment

Working...
                                X