No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been busy the last few days, since Friday and Saturday, hopefully finishing up today and tomorrow. I'm splitting my time between getting the motorhome ready for next weekend (my first BRC teaching weekend in Duluth, MN) had a flat inside dual, air compressor was having motor problems, so now I have a new 90 gal 3 cyl. shop compressor. I'm installing a big truck cruise control system on it to ease the foot pressure required on long trips.
    The other ongoing job is at a friend's house correcting a problem put in place by the now defunct contractor that built his house. The plumbing vent piping was leaking in his crawlspace and it rotted out his ceiling in one corner. Black mold is all over the place where this was happening. I had to re-target all the piping and glue it together properly (none of the joints were squared up so the PVC glue didn't work, the idiot contractor didn't hire a plumber), then tear out all the affected drywall to replace it with new. I'm sanding the joints down tomorrow to put the finish coat of mud on, sand, primer and paint.
    Back to work on the cruise control today, pictures of my new shop compressor sometime...

Comment

New 80 CBX!

So about a month ago, a guy calls me and says he has an 80 CBX, been off the road awhile, wanted to know if I was interested in it. I run an ad on the Dallas Craigslist about once a month looking for classic muscle bikes, get about half dozen calls a week! Anyway, I said sure if the price was right, and told him I'd be out to look at it the following weekend. Well, between his work schedule and mine, we kept missing each other. Finally today, I went and looked at it. OMG! I can't believe how nice this thing is, the motorcycle gods were looking over me today! 38K miles, the exhaust was replaced by some 6 into 2 system that looks to still be in good shape, (He thought it may have been a Kerker or MAC?), the brakes are not locked, Metzeller tires look pretty good, seat, tank and rear cowl are all nice, even if they if do have some slight fading. Took it home, put a battery in it and put a shot of carb cleaner in the airbox got her to fire for a few second, sounded OK, basically about the same thing I did to my last 79 CBX, which I still have up on the bike lift (still waiting on carbs!). Anyway, he just said make him and offer and I said $1500 and he said SOLD! Didn't even try to haggle! He also threw in a box of parts, carb sync tools, crash bars, new chain, carb sync tool, shop manual, some other odds and ends in Honda packages, haven't even started looking yet. I was smiling ear to ear after driving away with this one. Here are some pics. Enjoy! :thumbup:
      Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Current stable:

85 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
      87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
      99 Kawasaki ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson replica
      15 Yamaha VMAX - The Maroon Monsoon

Comment

Very nice catch! Are you keeping this one?

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by 83GS1100E_Tornado View Post
          Anyway, he just said make him and offer and I said $1500 and he said SOLD!
          I have asked the Mod's to move your post to the new 'look what I stole today' section of the forum.

you lucky son of a gun!
          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
            Very nice catch! Are you keeping this one?

Daniel
            Well, this one overall is about the same condition as the 79 I bought the week before the Superbowl, but that bike was off the road like 10 years, and was "semi-locked" up. In other words, I had to put some penetrating oil in the cylinders to break it loose. I have it on the bike lift with the motor half out, waiting for the carbs to come back, so IF that motor is solid (20K) miles, I will probably restore them both. 79 and 80 are the two most popular bikes, but 79 more popular than the 80 model. It will be a tough choice, but I will probably end up selling one of them. You know, put all the best parts on one, and get the other running and sell it as a project. Won't know until I get a good set of carbs back and get one of them going!
            Current stable:

Comment

Jesus, $1500? That's practically nothing. A CBX over here in Sweden rarely goes under $4000, regardless of condition.

Comment

Continued working on my 'bar mounted choke lever. Figuring out how to connect an OEM throttle cable to the choke actuator, and getting close.
                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

About to give up on a '73 ATC 70, just tried another coil and have new points and other obvious electrical and can't find a spark. About the give up, it takes up much more space then a little two wheeler the kids want anyway.
                  Hondas
                  '73 ATC70 '85 XL125S '02 XR650L
                  Suzuki
                  '83 gs750t vin#551 '97 DR650
                  Kaw
                  '89 KLR650

sigpic

Comment

Yesterday, Tkent and I fixed my gear shift lever after I didn't install it correctly and started up the bike. Woohoo, it actually runs again. I need to drain some oil out of it though, put too much in by mistake, and fix my electrical connections (one bolt is too long). After that, finish the tank and I'm done.

Also took the Jeep in for an oil change.
                    Last edited by cowboyup3371; 04-17-2011, 11:33 PM.
                    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
                      Let us know how the Vibranator weights work...I don't recall anyone trying them yet. I snagged a pair of black D-3s on ebay last year, and look forward to installing them too.
                      Finally got a chance to put in an extended ride the Vibranators work great.
                      It's feels like a whole different bike.

I worked on my savage bobber project today.
                      Wire wheeled the forks. I like the brushed aluminum look.
                      Sprayed the risers black
                      Sprayed the front fender. Not sure if I'm going to install it.
                      Installed front wheel.

Comment

Wrenched on this all day, yes I crossed over to the refined edges of the Honda world for this project..I have to be honest these are a dream to work on..

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                          Wrenched on this all day, yes I crossed over to the refined edges of the Honda world for this project..I have to be honest these are a dream to work on..
                          I'll remind you of this when that starter clutch goes out...............Will quickly turn from dream to nightmare!
                          Current stable:

Comment

Originally posted by 83GS1100E_Tornado View Post
                            I'll remind you of this when that starter clutch goes out...............Will quickly turn from dream to nightmare!
                            That issue was fixed for 86, the 84 model was the bad year

Comment

Finished up the prototype of my 'bar mounted choke and it works Lots of finishing up to do but functionally it's exactly what I wanted

Also started cleaning up the brake lever and master cylinder, ugh.
                              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                                That issue was fixed for 86, the 84 model was the bad year
                                I did not know that. I thought they all had the issue. What was the fix???
                                Current stable:

Comment

Working...
                                X