No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well after sucessfully causing even more electrical destruction on the 82 1100 GL, I decided to do something in know about. I put the guages on my 77 750, the 78 1000 C, and the 79 1000 S.. got them all really close and they just run like silk. Top is the 79 1000 S..middle is the 77 750, and the bottom is the 78 1000 C.

Last edited by chuck hahn; 04-18-2011, 04:35 PM.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Its not finished yet. Spent a few hours on it, a few more to go. Digging out the foam from the back was a PITA and Ive had to cut a lot of the supports in the rear out so I could remove the pieces that were cut out. It will be cleaned up, polished, and then Ill experiment with what type of mesh Im going to put behind it to give it some contrast.

Last edited by Guest; 04-18-2011, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Pretty cool crank gear cover.
        I am certain that it took a LOT of work so far.

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
          Pretty cool crank gear cover.
          I am certain that it took a LOT of work so far.

Daniel
          I thought it was going to be an easy project but it has been anything but. My lower back has been screaming for the past hour or so, so I had to call it quits until later. I plan to have it polished by the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by DrImodium View Post
            Its not finished yet. It will be cleaned up, polished, and then Ill experiment with what type of mesh Im going to put behind it to give it some contrast.
            It looks great...even better when polished. No need for any mesh, IMHO. I was perusing the bay just last night for a cheap used cover, to drill full of holes, and polish.....just for fun.
            '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
            Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Just got this running, after a multi-year hiatus:

I hope to create a thread in the Projects forum about the saga of the GPz, but for now I am just happy to hear her run.

Comment

Purfuming a Pig

Started the un-stinking process on the 'E'.

I started restoring these this past week. I suspect it will take me a bit.

De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Today I put the turn signals back on the RV125. Also threw on the battery cover I got in the mail today. They all broke at the mounting tab, so I paid $136.10 for it (a hunk of plastic about the size of your fist). Now it's a complete, original example. Soon as I can embezzle some more dough from my marriage, I'll start the hunt for the illusive optional rack.

Comment

I torqued down the head on the 850, then installed the cams (slowly going through all the steps to achieve correct timing)....torqued the cam caps down with about twelve steps from one side of the bike to the other to prevent any stress. Lotsa lubricant on the cam lobes.....Turned crank over by hand, no binding,all looked good..then gave it a few turns on the starter...again, all looked good, no wierd noises or binding.

Then moved onto checking valve clearances....while inserting zip-tie into one valve, happened to glance at the cam lobe about 4" from my face....is that a black hair on the lobe?.....poked at it....crap, a crack running across the back face of the lobe, part way, enough to feel with a finger nail...looked like someone even tried to file any edges off it......who knows how long it was like this before I ended up with this bike.

Ah, well, no disaster, just a set-back in my plan to have the bike back running this weekend. I found a pair of cams with caps, buckets and shims on ebay for $25, and scooped them up..at least the shims are worth that (even with the extra shipping)......dang, hope they are good examples, reportedly from a bike with 7800 miles.......

Back to doing a few things on the XS400.....

Comment

worked on this all day....need to hook up and sync the carbs, install the pipes and a bunch of little stuff yet.

Comment

Figured out why I was stalling going uphill. Looks like I definitely had a vacuum issue so I changed back to the old 1/4" vacuum line I used last year. I tried using a vacuum hose from OReilly's Auto that had the same measurement recommendation I found on here. But I'm thinking it didn't like things too much. I'll know more for sure tomorrow if the rain lets up and I can ride into work.
                        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Nothing bike related... helped my housemate paint the remaining bit of the eaves he hadn't done yet and then replace a downpipe.
                          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Put new coils on my 850. Figured out I had a small leak in piston boot on one of the frt. calipers (I just rebuilt), so ordering a new one and trying again. Replaced brake line on back with SS line., took caliper apart,cleaned and I'm in processes of painting it. Also will be ordering new brake pads, since old ones were almost completely gone! Lastly I tinned and replaced several old connections around the coil area. Other than that, not too much. terrylee

Comment

Timed the cams on my 1150. Now I just need to get the new electric system and fire it up.

Comment

Now that this weekend the weather cooperated and I was able to get the engine is painted, tonight I got it back in the frame that's been patiently waiting.

And, got this little side job up on it's centerstand! Timing belts, T-stat, Raditor hoses, and an oil change for a guy at work.

Last edited by Guest; 04-25-2011, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X