No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pictures from yesterdays preparations (took the bike to a friend out of town to get the cam timing fixed).

When the bike was all secured and strapped down I started my one hour drive to his place.

We got done just before midnight. Scary driving with an expensive load in the dark. Had to tap the brake pedal to turn on the lights and see if the bike was still there every now and then.

Now all I need is the electrical system then it's time to fire it up!

Comment

Took a 20km ride to a friends place. Front wheel got all clunky. Blocked it up and pulled the wheel. Replaced the front bearings. Installing tonight.

Comment

This is my 86 savage bobber finished it today[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Worked on the 'Scort...making projectors where no aftermarket options are available. Three different headlights, to make one that I hope, will give me the light and the "look" that I'm after.

NO...the pink tape is not going to stay! Just using it to mock things up. Besides, Skip is the only one certified to use pink, as a color option.

Comment

Did some brake work on the GS750. Rebuilt the front caliper, which was actually in really good shape aside from some yellow goo on the piston. No pitting and no leaks. stuck some new EBC pads and stainless lines on. Then it took me about 1 hr to bleed. Did the test ride and noticed a little better braking, but was a definite improvement in firmness and feel in the brake lever. Looking at the factory lines i'm surprised they held up this long.

Sorry for no pics

Comment

I got the GS out of it's winter hibernation last night and got my new RK 630 X-ring chain and sprockets installed, cleaned up the bike as I went and installed the new/used exhaust I got from one of Ed’s (Nessism) restorations. Much nicer than my old system that didn’t look too bad but had very loose baffles and was starting to develop stress cracks on the downpipes.

'84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Well, I finally got to bring my bike home from the dealer and immediately went to work.

I don't know if this counts as "wrenching" or more just "tearing off a buncha crap I didn't want", but here ya go:

It's a backrest and a pair of footrests. I think I may keep the back pad as something to sit or kneel on when I'm working on the bike and the mounting hardware looks like it can double as a luggage rack, if I ever have the need.

The footrests are going up for sale though.

The Vetter fairing is next on the chopping block (maybe the "unbolting block" is more accurate?).

Comment

I removed the Vetter fairing today.

I likes em naked!

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                    I got the GS out of it's winter hibernation last night and got my new RK 630 X-ring chain and sprockets installed, cleaned up the bike as I went and installed the new/used exhaust I got from one of Ed’s (Nessism) restorations. Much nicer than my old system that didn’t look too bad but had very loose baffles and was starting to develop stress cracks on the downpipes.

BEAUTIFUL bike!!!

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by MadCapsule View Post
                      I removed the Vetter fairing today.

I likes em naked!
                      Looking better every day.

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post

That chain looks a bit tight to my eye. Nothing will wear a chain faster than being to tight.
                        Larry D
                        1980 GS450S
                        1981 GS450S
                        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
                          That chain looks a bit tight to my eye. Nothing will wear a chain faster than being to tight.
                          It's actually got about 1 1/2" to 2" travel. It's got some really stiff grease on it so hardly droops at all. I left the grease on but I'll look at it today. I'm tempted to wash it off before it collects a bunch of dirt and then chain wax it. I did do the valves and carb sync yesterday and went for a short ride down road and back. So I guess I'll go recheck it and clean it off. Time to finally put some insurance on it and go for a real ride. WOOHOO!!!
                          '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Chains always look tight on the center stand for obvious reasons...NICE BIKE SANDY!

Comment

Worked a little on this over the weekend

Comment

Tried to install the left hand caliper and see if I can't get it working. But, I broke the bleeder valve off inside of it. I'll take it apart and see if I can get the thing out somehow. Fortunately I still have my right hand one.
                                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                                X