No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome looking Daily Rider you got there JLS...

Comment

Slimmed down my new rear mudguard, got rid of all the sharp edges off my 'bar mounted choke lever adaptor, and then discovered that I need either a new fuel tap or a repair kit and I also need to do a POR 15 tank liner treatment.

I'd purposefully not drained the fuel out of the tank in the vain hope it would stop it from rusting, but I finally did that today with a view to painting in the next few weeks, but found rust instead...

1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
        Awesome looking Daily Rider you got there JLS...
        Thanks. I've had the bike since new. one of the best bikes I ever owned and I've owned a lot if them. My weekend rider is a 2003 (100th anniversary) H-D Heritage Springer but my GS will always be #1 to me.

Comment

Originally posted by TPL View Post
          Check the wiring in the headlight bucket. and the ignition switch, etc.
          I started doing that today actually. More in this thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=177328

I haven't gotten to the ignition switch yet though.

Comment

Finished this and took it for a ride...

Comment

How did it do, Joe?

BTW, that IS a very nice G, JLS.

Comment

Originally posted by GS ace View Post
                How did it do, Joe?

BTW, that IS a very nice G, JLS.

It is so smooth, and easy to ride I luv it.

Comment

Took the back wheel off of my 81 GS 400 to get a tire replaced , had to take the left side exhaust to make it happen

Comment

I've been working on the jetting on my 00' Bandit 1200.
                    I picked the bike up in a trade and it had a Yosh carbon fiber can and a K&N airfilter on it. I didn't know if the PO had worked on the jetting or not but it ran lean and very cold hearted so I bought a DynoJet stage 3 kit and some K&N dual ovals for it.
                    When I pulled the carbs and airbox, I could see by the fact that the A/F screw plugs were missing that someone had been tweeking on it.
                    I installed the kit but the slide springs seemed way too stiff. When I drove the bike, it was terrible -- nearly undriveable, so I swapped the original springs back in and tried again. It was a great improvement so I kept them and have been working step by step trying to find the right clip setting. I just wasn't getting very far so I thought I better check the float levels. They were also way off -- like 3 mm. So, I got them set, went back to the originally suggested clip position and buttoned things back up for a test ride.
                    I have a farm type rural road near me so I took it out there to try it out.
                    The lower RPMs are still off, but when I got the Rs up to about 7K in second and whacked the throttle open, the front end lifted.
                    I like it! Never done much in the way of tuning before. This is fun!

Comment

Tried to replace the serpentine belt in my truck but it requires taking out half of the front end so I'll let a local shop do it. Did replace the alternator in the Jeep finally; course smashed my left middle finger in the process.
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Ouch Scott that's gotta hurt! Bent my right thumbnail back while vacuuming today and had a nice go at slicing my left index finger with a hacksaw yesterday...

Today though I discovered that I really do need a new fuel tap as there's a metal disk behind the diaphragm that's toast. Pulled it apart and several shards of metal came with it...

1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Lapped in 12 valves in my '85 700E. Put the head back on after only a year since I pulled it off.

Next go the cams, then rebuild the carbs, then....

Comment

Originally posted by kirkn View Post
                            Lapped in 12 valves in my '85 700E. Put the head back on after only a year since I pulled it off.

Next go the cams, then rebuild the carbs, then....
                            Why did you stop at 12 valves?

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                              Why did you stop at 12 valves?

Daniel
                              4 were done back in February... These were the remaining 12.

Comment

Sweet bike, Jow. Always loved the looks of those and the Interceptors...

Comment

Working...
                                X