Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abandoned plane? Like, truly abandoned...no ownership?

I could use me one of those!
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by Steel Toed Tank View Post
      Cold out this morning, had to put on my balaclava and winter gloves to get this one.

This is the Paradise Hill Airport (CJE6), complete with abandoned plane!
      I rode past the St. Walburg airport to get to this one, as the St Walburg one would be too easy at only a mile from my house.
      That is frikkin awesome! i love it.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

hmmmm. A guy near me has emus...But im at work now. Plus id likely be killed trying to set up a photo.Its on a busy road.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
          Abandoned plane? Like, truly abandoned...no ownership?

I could use me one of those!
          The owner died 15+ years ago and his family came and gathered his belongings and left, leaving the plane behind.

Sadly the owner and a few of his pilot friends from other places were really the only ones using the airport, so when he died, the airport died with him.

Every little town this far north has a runway, although most are just grass.
          Last edited by Guest; 05-10-2013, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Sounds like a similar story to the airport in my photo. From reading about its history (Marlboro airport in New Jersey) it was a profitable and vibrant operation into the late 70s early 80s. It changed hands, then it went downhill and fell victm to NJ politics, and was to be used for housing during the housing boom. Apparently much corruption was involved. When i was there today some county workers were doing something in one of the main buildings. They left me alone.
            sigpic

Glen
            -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
              Sounds like a similar story to the airport in my photo. From reading about its history (Marlboro airport in New Jersey) it was a profitable and vibrant operation into the late 70s early 80s. It changed hands, then it went downhill and fell victm to NJ politics, and was to be used for housing during the housing boom. Apparently much corruption was involved. When i was there today some county workers were doing something in one of the main buildings. They left me alone.

Wow, I just read through that history. Bribery and sabotage and very likely murder! Very interesting to learn, and sad indeed, crushing those peoples passions for the sake of greed is shameful.

Comment

Originally posted by Steel Toed Tank View Post
                Wow, I just read through that history. Bribery and sabotage and very likely murder! Very interesting to learn, and sad indeed, crushing those peoples passions for the sake of greed is shameful.
                I agree, greed SUCKS!!

I'm within riding distance (50Mi.) of Hearst Castle, and there are zebra's roaming freely on the HUGE ranch land surrounding the castle. As soon as I finish my honey-do list for the day, I'ma head that way. Wish me luck that they're near the road!

Comment

Originally posted by elcornus View Post
                  I agree, greed SUCKS!!

I'm within riding distance (50Mi.) of Hearst Castle, and there are zebra's roaming freely on the HUGE ranch land surrounding the castle. As soon as I finish my honey-do list for the day, I'ma head that way. Wish me luck that they're near the road!
                  Man am I jealous of that ride ! Good to see you back in the game.
                  Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                  Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                  1983 GS 750

Comment

I agree, greed SUCKS!!

Zebras! Now those are really exotic!

I know what you mean about being near the fence, that buffalo farm has 3 separate herds with each herd numbering in the hundreds, and those two bulls were only ones I could see from the road.

The little baby buffalo calves are cute and numerous this time of year as well, it's a shame they weren't visible.

Comment

Sorry, no roadside zebras

As I left Morro Bay's sunny, warm, blue skied weather, I had high hopes
                      that it would be like this the whole way up Hwy 1.

I was WRONG!!

Thick fog and a strong breeze coming from off shore greeted me 4 miles north of my place. Five miles later it's sunny again.
                      Hwy 1 follows the coastline, and it varies greatly in the east/west direction. (looks like a bunch of "C"s stacked on top each other. Often times you ride thru a "tunnel of fog as it rushes up the hills that the road is cut into, and pop out the other side into beautiful sunshine.

And, .....of course it was foggy and cold where the Zebra, Deer, and Horses roam along, near the road, so..... no zebra photos for me.

A little history from the Hearst Castle website;

The dismantling of the zoo began in 1937 after William Randolph Hearst experienced great financial difficulty and was forced to curtail his construction activities and cut other expenses at the ranch. Many animals were donated to public zoos or sold. Dispersal of the zoo animals extended over more than fifteen years and it was never entirely completed. Most of animals had been placed by 1953, two years after Mr. Hearst’s death, but many animals were permitted to range free on the ranch. In 1958, when the State was given Hearst Castle, there were Rocky Mountain elk, tahr goats, llamas, white fallow deer, zebras, Barbary sheep and sambar deer still on the ranch. Today, few of these animals survive, but often zebra may be seen grazing in the pastures along Highway 1 near the town of San Simeon.

I did snap a few along the way, here's a link to them.
                      Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

And one I'll post now, just for kicks!!

[IMG][/IMG]

I'm hoping these pics might get some of the SJ/SF/Ca./Az./Nev./ETC, guys interested in a Western States RALLY in this area.
                      Last edited by Guest; 05-11-2013, 01:00 PM. Reason: added history information

Comment

I'm hoping these pics might get some of the SJ/SF/Ca./Az./Nev./ETC, guys interested in a Western States RALLY in this area.
                        Oh sure !! Discriminate against Kanadians........
                        Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                        1983 GS 750

Comment

You "canuks" don't have the iron butt's to come all the way down!

Or do you??????????????

Not saying I do, just sayin. LOL

And I did include "ETC" in the states I was listing, but I think Vancouver is a Province.

All are welcome

Comment

but I think Vancouver is a Province.

All are welcome
                            Vancouver is more a state of mind, British Columbia is the province

EDIT-

PS I'm disappointed...was looking forward to the zebras. The cliff shot is a nice consolation, though.
                            '83 GS650G
                            '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

You "canucks" don't have the iron butt's to come all the way down!

Or do you??????????????

And I did include "ETC" in the states I was listing, but I think Vancouver is a Province.

All are welcome
                              Hey now! If you check my sig you'll note that I have 2 Iron Butt rides done. And there will be no more! Ouch!

Last October I rode quite a bit in your neck of the woods. Hwy 1 is spectacularly beautiful, but after not too many miles I was sore from working through all of those curves. I know... what a terrible problem! Would love to go back again, next time I want to hit the Steinbeck museum in Salinas. A little further up the coast is the Russian River Brewery in Santa Rosa, home of Pliny the Elder, the greatest IPA on the planet! (Does that prove that I'm Canadian?)
                              IBA# 12860
                              Iron Butt SS1000 & BB1500
                              1984 KZ1100R
                              2008 Kawasaki KLR650
                              2011 Concours 1400

Comment

Damn store was closed. No Alpaca tenderloin....

1983 GS 750

Comment

Working...
                                X