Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you can wait until tomorrow I'm going for the cathedral which was rebuilt in 1530 or a 13th century church, or one of the oldest churches in the county...

ECKINGTON - ST. PETER AND ST PAUL PARISH CHURCH

A church of exceptional architectural interest with most impressive tower and spire.
    One of the best churches in Derbyshire, celebrated its 900th anniversary in the year 2000.
    The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
      Built in 1751, a field hospital during the Revolutionary War, and still in use now.
      As a field hospital
      I love living in the birth place of the USA, riddled with ruins from the French & Indian and Revolutionary wars. The Forts around here are super cool and bountiful. I can think of at least 5 fortification within an hours ride from me... Lake Champlain was exceptionally important back in the day!
      Jedz Moto
      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
      1988 Honda GL1500-6
      2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
      2020 Honda Monkey Z125
      2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
      Originally posted by Hayabuser
      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
        As a field hospital
        I love living in the birth place of the USA, riddled with ruins from the French & Indian and Revolutionary wars. The Forts around here are super cool and bountiful. I can think of at least 5 fortification within an hours ride from me... Lake Champlain was exceptionally important back in the day!
        You're right, that area is rich with history. I'd almost be willing to ride back up there to see Fort Stawix again, and Griffis AFB where I lived until coming to NM. I'm sure someone will grab a pic or a really old church though. Some of these tags have taken a few days, it'll happen.
        We've got some battle history around here from the civil war, Mexican American war etc. That would be a cool future tag.
        Roger

Current rides
        1983 GS 850G
        2003 FJR 1300A
        Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Cyrano View Post
          If you can wait until tomorrow I'm going for the cathedral which was rebuilt in 1530 or a 13th century church, or one of the oldest churches in the county...
          Are you going to be able to head over to the church? I'm looking forward to seeing some tags from over there.
          Roger

Current rides
          1983 GS 850G
          2003 FJR 1300A
          Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
            As a field hospital
            Should be some excellent future tags coming out of this....

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

St Bartholomew's Church. Dating from the 13th Century.

It's a bit more over grown than I remembered.

The oldest gravestone I could find was from 1919.

So, onto the next tag which is a Power Station...

Comment

Awesome architecture there. Good job with the pics.
                Isn't there a member in Joliet, IL. There used to be a nuclear power plant near there.
                Roger

Current rides
                1983 GS 850G
                2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

I'm too late for the church but it wouldn't have counted anyway due to the fact it was year 1717. One year shy of the 300 needed. Now on to that power plant. We have a nuclear power plant in Stony Point NY about 50 miles south of here.

1982 GS 550 L

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                    Awesome architecture there. Good job with the pics.
                    Isn't there a member in Joliet, IL. There used to be a nuclear power plant near there.
                    Thanks but I thought the pics were terrible. I had left the camera on the settings I use for ebay photos... DOH!

The power station I used is Ratcliffe-on-Soar and is a coal fired plant but any fuel source is good.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyrano View Post
                      Thanks but I thought the pics were terrible. I had left the camera on the settings I use for ebay photos... DOH!

The power station I used is Ratcliffe-on-Soar and is a coal fired plant but any fuel source is good.
                      Finally got home and looked at those pics on the laptop. I see what you mean. Still a really cool old church though. That power station looks a lot like the nuclear powered ones here in the states.
                      Roger

Current rides
                      1983 GS 850G
                      2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

Originally posted by rkroby View Post
                        I'm too late for the church but it wouldn't have counted anyway due to the fact it was year 1717. One year shy of the 300 needed. Now on to that power plant. We have a nuclear power plant in Stony Point NY about 50 miles south of here.

It would have been hard to argue with one year as that was much closer than most would have been. How was the ride to the power plant?
                        Roger

Current rides
                        1983 GS 850G
                        2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

Didn't get to the power plant today and not sure when I can. Someone get out there and get it!
                          1982 GS 550 L

Comment

It's good to see some new blood and overseas(Europe) players in the game.
                            GSRick
                            No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                            Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Agreed....
                              I have to run out in the morning to pick up some bike sized supplies for the house project. Im going to try... can't promise though....
                              Last edited by dorkburger; 08-14-2016, 09:32 AM.
                              sigpic
                              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                              -Rusty old scooter.
                              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
                                It's good to see some new blood and overseas(Europe) players in the game.
                                Who are you calling new blood? Maybe I'll have to make my photos more memorable.

Comment

Working...
                                X