Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So if I can join the fun, here is the Hiller Aviation Museum in San Carlos CA. Had to negotiate through rush hour freeway traffic (my life long nemesis) to get this pic.

and the new tag is a old fashion theater marque (this is from the restored California Theater in San Jose, CA) from a working movie, play, or music theater, no multiplexes allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
      I thought real musicians gravitated to something like this?

By the way, reading thru old posts on this thread I discovered this pic, and while I have nothing to add about the VW bus, the sign behind it, Hodads is a can't miss burger, beer joint if your in San Diego . It is in Ocean Beach, the non-tourist locals beach, and heck with the SD Zoo, the Gaslamp Quarter, Coronado island, or even Legoland. Just make sure you get a burger and beer at Hodads, you will not regret it.

Comment

Welcome to the game, Mark...and good tags....
        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Well, I got beat to the tag despite getting out on an early AM ride with my wife. Welcome to new player macbec29(nice bike too), to add new blood to this game. FYI, here is a photo I was going to post of the snowmobile museum at Bear Brook State Park, NH for those alternate transportation enthusiasts even though it's too late now...BTW, not many marquees out in the NH countryside, so it's up to someone else to tag!

a peek at some of the relics through the window.....

Last edited by Guest; 06-28-2011, 08:37 AM.

Comment

So, it's a theatre marquis now, is it? I'll have to try to get that one. I still have to post up our MN ride picts, haven't had a chance for any of this stuff lately.

Comment

Originally posted by macbec29 View Post
              By the way, reading thru old posts on this thread I discovered this pic, and while I have nothing to add about the VW bus, the sign behind it, Hodads is a can't miss burger, beer joint if your in San Diego . It is in Ocean Beach, the non-tourist locals beach, and heck with the SD Zoo, the Gaslamp Quarter, Coronado island, or even Legoland. Just make sure you get a burger and beer at Hodads, you will not regret it.
              I love San Diego. I've been there 3 separate times to visit on vacation. Fun place; expensive though. I usually go to Tijuana too even though I don't have any relatives there. I love that area of California.

I was trying to set up my photobucket account to get in on this game and macbec29 beat me to it. There is a space museum over here with Saturn rockets and pieces of crafts from different space missions through the decades with Von Braun and his cohorts. I totally missed the chance. I'm still reading that tutorial that Basscliff has so still no picture to even show, hehe.

A couple of days ago I saw the tag so I went up to the museum and took some shots and when I got back home to upload them I noticed that my bike wasn't in any of the pictures. How's that for a noob? I went back to take some more and I was beat to the punch. I'll get the next one, watch. There's an old theatre downtown that'd be good for the tag. I'll try it after work, and maybe I'll even remember to put my motorcycle in the picture this time.

I hope to be joining the game soon. It looks like a lot of fun if you all will have me.

Ricardo

Comment

Ricardo, a pic of cool old rocketship parts would have been great, although I have to say that the pics of a museum dedicated to nothing but old snow mobiles that Lurch took made me laugh my ass off just to think of it. It would fit right in where I originally hale from, the outskirts of Buffalo, NY.

I spent 5 years in San Diego, it was a great place to go to school. Good riding weather most of the year, the smell of medical mj wafting all over Ocean Beach, and cheap beer and lobster burritos at the small coastal Baja towns south of TJ. I really love NorCal, where I live now, but I have very fond memories of SD. Just talkin about it makes me want to head down there for a Hodads burger in OB and cheap lobster and Coronas in Puerto Nuevo.

Comment

Hey, where are all the cultural folks on this forum? No one can pony up to a marquee? Are you going to make me ride into the "city" to move this game along?

Comment

Hey, where are all the cultural folks on this forum? No one can pony up to a marquee? Are you going to make me ride into the "city" to move this game along?

saw 3 of them yesterday but didnt check this thread until now..

Comment

I keep thinking I'll have time to ride the 45-50 miles to one of the small towns that still have an old theatre (ours burnt down years ago), but I haven't had any time lately. We'll see if someone can get the tag before tomorrow. I might be able to go by noon tomorrow.

Comment

Here, I would say that this is pretty close to qualifying:

CAme right home, got camera and headed back out.

When I got there I thought "Oh, man, the marquee isnt displaying an upcomming profromance, so will not appear as a theater."

Originally posted by macbec29 View Post
                        and the new tag is a old fashion theater marque (this is from the restored California Theater in San Jose, CA) from a working movie, play, or music theater, no multiplexes allowed.
                        Is an old fashoined movie theater. Actaully has a stage and a curtain. I have seen movies there in 70s and 80s and 90s. Owner now connected it to restraunt next door and has outdoor seating as can see in photo. Do still have dinner theater there, so I say it qualifys. Is not the movie theater that it used to be but is now dinner theater restraunt.

What do you say Mark?

Oh.. and I rode in rain to get there.

Last edited by Redman; 07-01-2011, 12:51 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post

Oh.. and I rode in rain to get there.

I say it counts double.
                          I thought it only snowed in Michigan.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Now that I see the sign says "Theater Bar", I will say that clears up any possible argument.

Here is my tag.
                            Rode right over there after stopping at the theater.
                            I chose this just because it is something interesting in town that could pose bike infront of, not because I was thinking it would be hard for anybody else to find any such thing.

Coal Fired Steam Locomotive Engine.

A big one. THe little one at the zoo (that driver is almost bigger than engine) doesn't count. har har har

This is Pere Marquette 1223, can find more info on it from internet search.
                            There is another one surviving that is the 1225.
                            One of them spent years and years on display at Michigan State University (decades ago, like when I was there). And other one was on display at Detriot State Fairgrounds for years and years.
                            THe 1223 was brough here by some local club, and other one went someplace else.
                            Both had local clubs working on them.
                            Parts from this one were used to restore the other one, and that other one was used in the movie a few years ago, Polar Express.

Oh... the picture.

(does not need to be in the rain, and do not need to break laws by riding on sidewalk.)

Can tell it is a steam locomotive (not deisel electric) by the cyclinders by the wheels. Most steam locomotive have the short big cyclinders horizontal in front of wheels. SOme (Shay) have multiple vertical cyclinders.

Can tell it is coal fired by the coal tender as opposed to tank car.

The structure in background is a "coal tipple" which was used to load the coal tender and to resupply the water. I image that such would be harder for anybody to find another one of those.

Later Note:
                            Here is pic from a a couple years ago of same engine (other bike. I like to pointy out that the bike and the locomotive engine are both two cyclinder engines.)
                            THis picture Shows the steam engine better.

>>>later note Friday 07/01 6pm:
                            I should have stated that this is no longer a working locomotove.
                            And the tag does not require a working locomotive.
                            Full size Coal Fired Steam Locomotive (probably on exhibit somewhere), not just any desiel-electric locomotive.

Dave

>>> later note Friday 07/01 6:30pm

web site that list "surviving" steam locomotives.

Dave

Last edited by Redman; 07-01-2011, 06:59 PM. Reason: add later notes

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Rode in the rain for the pic. Food while watching theater. That all works for me.

Comment

Good tag Redman
                                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                                X