No announcement yet.

Craigslist "funnies"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Museum quality"? What museum would that be?

$5000? I'd like to meet the fool who buys it, 'cause I've got this bridge that goes from Brooklyn to Manhattan I'd like to sell. Actually got several, the buyer can take his pick. $5000, and they're all museum quality.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by 850GT_Rider View Post
      Hardtail on knobby tires - I'll bet that's really comfy. The John Deere tractor exhaust flapper is a nice touch...
      He's selling it because he can't stand to ride it. LMAO
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Thanks, I needed a laugh.

Comment

Do these things ever sell or do they all see each others ads and figure "some else is getting this much, I can too"?

Comment

1996 Honda CBR600 - $1000

Bike worked really well, It has the type of fuel you have to turn on and off, and wasn't turned off one day so now it needs a new engine. All maintence was done at Mid-South. Just didn't want to put anymore money into it. Priced a new engine and it was $700. I have two other bikes one of which I am also selling. Just didn't want to put anymore time or money into it. Also needs new fairings. Didn't like the color and was looking to get new colors but didn't.
            So...the petcock didn't get turned to 'OFF' and now it needs a new engine? Why do I feel like there's more to the story?

Comment

Originally posted by DarthTAiness View Post
              So...the petcock didn't get turned to 'OFF' and now it needs a new engine?
              I hate it when that happens.
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

So...the petcock didn't get turned to 'OFF' and now it needs a new engine? Why do I feel like there's more to the story?
                mmmm - like maybe he tried to fire it up with the crankcase full of gas? Or maybe it's hydro-locked and won't turn over at all?

EDIT - so with morbid curiousity, I wrote to the seller:

Why does the bike need a new engine just because the petcock was left on? On most of these bikes all you need to do is drain the crankcase of the resulting oil/gas mixture, and fill it with fresh oil and new filter. What else went wrong?
                The response:

Thats all that was wrong with it. I dont know much about fixing bikes but when I took it to midsouth thats what they told me. I thought the same thing it should be a simple fix but they gave me a spill about because the gas was left on it flooded the engine and it needs to be replaced. Of course I wasnt willing to buy another engine plus pay labor so its just been sitting. my hubby took the engine off to get a better look at it to see if it was something simple because a friend of ours was helping him but our friend has deployed so he didnt want to risk messing anything up and just stored all of the parts taken off in a bin.
                Last edited by Guest; 06-03-2014, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bruin View Post
                  Do these things ever sell or do they all see each others ads and figure "some else is getting this much, I can too"?
                  The part few seem to understand is that it doesn't matter what you are asking, it's what you get that counts. I expect most get nothing and it eventually gets used to prop up a tree in the back yard. I have never seen anyone anywhere riding one of these creations.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Yeah, that makes no sense. I've had bikes that were manufactured with manual petcocks and some that I had installed manual petcocks on. None of them when not turned off by accident have caused any problem more than simply changing the oil and oil filter.

If they rode around for a week with a crankcase full of gas and almost no oil, there probably will be a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                      Yeah, that makes no sense. I've had bikes that were manufactured with manual petcocks and some that I had installed manual petcocks on. None of them when not turned off by accident have caused any problem more than simply changing the oil and oil filter.

If they rode around for a week with a crankcase full of gas and almost no oil, there probably will be a problem.
                      After looking at her response, appears more like they got taken by a dealer.....

Comment

Originally posted by 850GT_Rider View Post
                        After looking at her response, appears more like they got taken by a dealer.....
                        Sadly, I think you're right.

Comment

If the carbs aren't 100% gas tight, depending on the crank position and starter strength, it's very possible to hydrolock an engine by attempting to start it with water or gas in the combustion chamber. If it's bad enough, the piston cannot compress the liquid and either the bearings are damaged or the rod is bent, causing catastrophic failure later. doesn't always happen but it can.

It is more of a problem in cars because the starter is stronger.
                          Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

There really should be a law...
                            '83 GS 1100T
                            The Jet

sigpic
                            '95 GSXR 750w
                            The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
                              At least it's not an unfinished "project".

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

YZ-80 ?!?!?
                                '83 GS 1100T
                                The Jet

sigpic
                                '95 GSXR 750w
                                The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Working...
                                X